My So-Called Pseudo Self-Publishing Journey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hi, I’m Gretchen – I say “Pseudo Self-Publishing” journey because I’m not really publishing myself. I’m married to an author and together we are working on publishing his works. The plan is for me to concentrate on the technical and business aspect of things and he will focus on writing!

I’m starting this thread to report about my journey as a newbie publisher! I welcome any advice, encouragement, or words of caution!!!

Reaction score
What I’m working on and what I've done so far…

Some of this may or may not be overkill – but I’m really trying to treat this as a business and set it up as such right from the beginning.

So far I’ve…
  • Established an LLC
  • Registered for a Tax ID number
  • Opened a business checking account
  • Purchased a block of ISBN numbers
  • Registered for Kindle Direct Publishing
  • Registered for NookPress

Note on the KDP registration -- it took about a week for my newly created Tax ID number to verify. There was no specific error message as to why it wasn't working, and the only suggestion KDP support made was to contact a tax professional. I tried it again about 4 days later and it worked - so I'm guessing it was because it was so new!

Right now I’m working on…
  • Reading as much as I possibly can here on the forums
  • Going through the ebook HTML formatting using Guido Henkel’s extremely helpful series of posts
  • Learning how to use Calibre to take the html file and convert it to ebook files.
  • Getting a logo design
  • Investigating Kobo and other distribution channels (since I’m not a mac user I will need to use something like that to get into the iTunes store is that still correct?)

I hope to have the first book formatted and uploaded to KDP in a few days for proofing!

Last edited:

Shed Dweller

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Gretchen,

Wow, you're really going for it. Good luck!

I'm very much a beginner to all this and still trying to bash out my first short story - so I'm a little concerned I might be 'telling Grandma how to suck eggs', but I've been doing a bit of reading.

You might find 'Write, Publish, Repeat' by Johhny B. Truant and Sean Platt quite insightful on the self-publishing side of things. They also run the 'Self Publishing Podcast' which seems to be quite popular.

I read 'Writing Journal' by Scott Haworth, which, although I found it a depressing read, went into detail about the highs and lows (mostly lows) of self-publishing, especially in respect to running promotions etc.

Hope that helps somewhat. I don't really have any quality advice, so please accept my encouragement!

Reaction score
I'm a little concerned I might be 'telling Grandma how to suck eggs',

Hope that helps somewhat. I don't really have any quality advice, so please accept my encouragement!

Hey who you callin' Grandma buddy??? :tongue (Kidding)

Thanks for the reading/podcast suggestions and I really appreciate the encouragement!

Reaction score
MUST FOCUS!!!!

That's the word of the day for me! It's great to read all about book promotion and marketing, but unless I FOCUS I don't have anything to promote!!! :Headbang:(Yeah... I just spent time searching for the perfect smiley... SQUIRREL!!!)

Anyway... I'm having trouble with ebook formatting. I'm using the very helpful guide by Guido Henkel. I've gotten the body like I want it - but I'm having trouble with the front matter. I can't seem to get things to center and page brake like I want them to. (Sigh) So if anyone has any HTML CSS pointers for front matter I'd appreciate it!!!

WriterBN

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.k-doyle.com
For centering, just use the "text-align: center" attribute for the paragraph style that you want centered:

Code:
p.centeredstuff {font: 100% Georgia, "Times New Roman", serif; text-align:center; text-indent:0;}

For page breaks before, the attribute is "page-break-before:always;"

Make sure that your styles cascade appropriately, i.e., that these paragraph-level styles are not overridden by a <div> style, for example.

girlyswot

Registered
Reaction score
Website
myromancereviews.wordpress.com
You can use a distributor to get the books into iTunes or you can use an uploading service. You don't need a Mac to manage the books when they're there, so the one-off fee might end up being a better deal than a cut of the royalties. I know the Formatting Fairies do it, but there are probably plenty of other services. Otherwise, look at Draft2Digital or Smashwords.

Status
Not open for further replies.