Omg Parents, how do you navigate the social minefield of kids and their parents?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kikazaru

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
I can't stand the constant guilt. My kids are busy in sports, hockey, soccer, karate and they are popular with their friends. They have 2 particular friends a bro and sister who are in the same grades as my kids and these kids often invite mine over for an hour or 2 in the evening during the middle of the week (one of their only free nights). I have a fairly small house - no basement or rec room so when kids are over they are pretty visible. My husband works hard all week and deserves some free time during the weekend and we try to get in some family time, as well as time for us and also get the dog out for a good run. Between all of this I feel obliged to reciprocate having the bro and sister sometime on the weekend (today is the day) but I don't do this nearly as often as my kids go there. To top it off today the kid's mom invited me to her church to learn about Christianity. What?? This reduced me to stunned silence and then stuttering incoherance and now I just want to avoid her altogether. It's so damn awkward.

*sigh*

I despise feeling guilty. It makes me cranky.

My kids are 8 and 10 - someone pls tell me it gets better when they are older.

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Three words: No, thank you.

You don't need to explain, and you don't need to feel guilty. Friendship shouldn't be a commercial exchange, where if you give me something I'm obligated to give you something. It should be about gifts from the heart. If the parents of your kids' friends are feeling put upon, just explain to them some of what you've told us about your house size, etc. Explain it to your kids, too, so they know why they can't have friends over every day of the week.

I'd also, in your situation, consider limiting my kids' outside activities. When my kids were younger, they were allowed one outside activity. When they reached the teen years, they were allowed more, but by then they were able to take the bus to some of them, so I wasn't driving all the time.

I'd also limit the time my kids spent at other people's houses. Yes, they can go over, but not on a weeknight, and not every weekend for hours.

Or whatever restrictions seem reasonable to you.

It seems like you've got the "yes" bug, and your cranky, guilty feeling is your intelligent inner self telling you that the situation is out of control or getting there. Have a family meeting, lay out the new rules, explain why they're being put in place, and then STICK TO THEM.

jenngreenleaf

Here to network and learn.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenngreeenleaf.com
:Hug2:

I wish I could offer more than just this hug. My kids are four (boy), five (girl) and six (boy) and I've only run into one parent (a father) that is not really anyone I care to be around. We're moving this summer, so that's the solution (temporary, because it'll happen again) to my problem.

Fern

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
When mine were that age I was caregiving for my father-in-law in our home and my husband worked odd hours. . .sleeping during the daytime, etc. I always felt badly that I couldn't let my kids have lots of company and I think it was worse because when I grew up we always had a housefull of kids there so that was what I thought it "should" be like.

What you could do is maybe every other Saturday take all the kids for a couple hours and go to some place for lunch and then to play at the park. Do a picnic & you can have some writing time while they explore. Go skating or some such. Your husband may enjoy having the house to himself for a couple hours too.

Just don't let it get where it is a chore. Its easy to get "locked in" to these things, then it becomes a job instead of an enjoyable outing with the kids.

kikazaru

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
Yeshanu I feel guilty because I say "no" way more than I say "yes." I say "yes" when I just can't in all good concience say no anymore. I want my kids in extracurricular sports activities (which they do enjoy most of the time) but it limits their time with friends of their choosing. Hence the guilt over saying no.

I never feel slighted if I'm not invited somewhere or my kids are not, it doesn't bother me at all, but I think that these people are keeping score.

Jenn, thanks for the hug. And moving sounds like a great idea to me lol!

Godfather I don't hate my parents - in fact I moved next door to them because I enjoy them so much.

writerterri

It's a dorky day!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Godfather said:
i never got into that whole 'i hate my parents' thing..

i get along pretty well with my parents, so does my brother

How old are you and why do you get along so well? Maybe I could learn something from you.

Waiting eagerly,

Terri

writerterri

It's a dorky day!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Kika- Christanity isn't so bad. Tear down the wall and go. What have you got to lose by going to church? Don't worry. I wont hate you if you say no to me.

As far as the kids go, I agree with Yeshanu.

Terri

kikazaru

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Fern. I think that's why the guilt weighs so heavy on me, because I get the feeling that most parents are way more generous with their time and their homes for their kids friends. The trend now is to have sleep overs at their friends homes. When I was a kid (admittedly a while back) sleep overs were for special occasions or perhaps a little more often when we were teens. It seems every weekend some kid wants my kid to sleep over. I let them sometimes, but then I know I will have to return the favour. Again, on a weekend which is family time.

I do treat the kids and their friends every once in a while to movies and an after noon at the swimming pool. It gets a bit expensive though.

jenngreenleaf

Here to network and learn.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenngreeenleaf.com
Jenn, thanks for the hug. And moving sounds like a great idea to me lol!

You're welcome! Here's another one:
:Hug2:
Yeah, moving is what's helping me -- but, remember, I said it was only a temporary solution. It seems like people who make us feel guilty are all over the place.

kikazaru

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
Lol Terri, it's not the Christianity part (my kids are in a Catholic school and despite the gasps of surprise from the congregation, I do go to my inlaws church on special occasions (I wear a hat to hide my horns though! ;) ) I am Canadian and while I will talk religion on a msg board and even seek it out because I enjoy the debates, it is a very rare thing for anyone to even talk about their faith to relative strangers, let alone witness. It is considered rather impolite here and an infringment of personal space. Now I just feel awkward with her which makes me irritated cause not only do I feel guilty over not having her kids over enough, now I feel guilty because I had to decline such a personal offer.

It's really enough to drive me to drink! :rant:

Danger Jane

Registered
Reaction score
I get along most of the time with my parents, but the hospitality thing can be a pain. Not so much with the other kids my age, but with the little kids and their families, the yuppie mentality is strong. My little sister must go to a birthday party every two weeks, and the only one that was actually at someone's house was her own. It seems so strange to me that these kids think of a party as a day where you run around an indoor playground for an hour and leave with twenty dollars of presents. I just had friends over and gave them cake and maybe pretty pencils. It seems like the parties are for the parents to compare how much people spend. Yuppies, ech.

kikazaru

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
Nancy I don't think it's because they are tryint to outdo each other, it's because it's much easier to have it else where. I have all my kids birthdays at the local pool. The reasoning behind it is my house is small, all the mess is left in the pool's party room, if the kids are swimming I don't need to plan activities and the parents are aware of a set time to drop off and pick up their kids. My kids have been to BDparties at homes where I've talked to the parents after, and even though the invitation said from 2 to 4pm some of the kids weren't picked up for 2 hours later. Although I agree with you on the loot bags, it is silly. My kids have been to parties where the loot bag they've come home with is easily 15 dollars. I dont go to crazy - I buy each kid a movie pass and a chocolate bar. This way it's something they can use and there isn't little bits of useless crap littering the house for days after.

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
It does get easier, so to speak. Harder, too. Trust me. One day you'll wake up and ache for the days when you *had* to be involved in every detail of their lives. It's difficult not being needed much. You have to wait for the times when you are wanted, instead. As they get older, those times get much fewer and farther between.

And realizing that I believe I misunderstood your original question, there is this to add:

Dont' feel bad about declining invitations. Hubby and I have this standard thing that everyone we know eventually understood. We aren't the most social people on the planet. More often than not, we don't accept invitations out. Everyone knows that anyone is welcome here, but they also know that we don't participate in much outside the home. That's just who we are. After it sunk in, no one was offended. In fact, we're just the quirky parents of Dan and Seth who never go anywhere, but who will always feed anyone's kids.

Did I misunderstand again? GOOD LORD maybe I just need a drink.

Last edited:

PattiTheWicked

Unleashing Hell.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pattiwigington.com
It's hard to find that perfect balance between "get the kids out of the house" and "keep 'em home for family time." The younger two here are in kindergarten, while the oldest is in 8th grade, so we have a wide range of friends coming and going. I've learned that once in a while I have to say, "You know, today's not a good day for so-and-so to come over and play. Maybe we could do it Tuesday instead." You owe yourself the right to say no, and your kids aren't going to turn into horrible people just because you won't let Little Jimmy eat dinner over at your house a fifth time this week.

That having been said, most of my kids parents' are good people and I don't mind having them or their children in my home. My eldest has one friend whom I adore whose parents absolutely hate me and miss no opportunity to say nasty things about me. This is because they think I called Childrens' Services on them. Of course, they liked me just fine when their daughter needed rides to go somewhere or a place to stay on the weekend when they went out of town....

kikazaru

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
Lol don't worry about it Carole, we'll just have that drink together.

I think the crux of the matter is that like you and your husband, we are not particularily social either. Don't get me wrong I enjoy going out, and meeting friends, but I never just drop in on someone, and I really am appalled when they just drop in on me. I like planning and preparation and this may also be at the heart of my guilt problem - kids are spontaneous and don't understand this need I have to be prepared not only housewise, but mentally as well.

Patti, that must be so awkward for your eldests friend. Although it sounds like the kid is at an age where they can separate their parents behaviour from his/herself.

reph

Fig of authority
Registered
Reaction score
kikazaru said:
...I am Canadian and...it is a very rare thing for anyone to even talk about their faith to relative strangers, let alone witness. It is considered rather impolite here and an infringment of personal space....now I feel guilty because I had to decline such a personal offer.
Many people here in the U.S. also consider it impolite. I see no reason for you to feel guilty. The woman was presuming when she intimated that you needed to learn about Christianity by attending her church.

And, on another subtopic, children's birthday parties didn't always include gifts for the guests. I don't know when that started or why. Formerly, guests brought gifts for the birthday child. A gift might pass in the other direction if another child got a prize for winning a game, and then it would be a small prize. What do kids who get something for going to a party think they're being honored for?

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
That's a new one for me too, Reph. There were times when we put together treat bags for guests with things like candy and small toys like jacks or bubbles, but gifts all the way around? That's a bit much.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
I think we used to give out gift bags when I was a child. That's like *cough*inthe60s*cough* so I don't know why you think the gift bag idea is new.

As far as people approaching you about their faith, most of the Lutheran churches I've been forced to attend have signs as you leave saying "You are now entering the mission field." Many of strong faith feel it is their duty to "spread the word."

And I've never felt obligated to reciprocate having someone else's child over simply because they had the lack of good sense to invite mine to their place. :)

reph

Fig of authority
Registered
Reaction score
Shadow_Ferret said:
I think we used to give out gift bags when I was a child. That's like *cough*inthe60s*cough* so I don't know why you think the gift bag idea is new.
Well, I wasn't born in the *cough* '60s. It might depend on where you lived, too. Maybe gifts for birthday guests are an urban custom.

Shwebb

She's the creepy-looking dude
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Kika, I know what you mean. I HATE drop-ins! I hate surprises! (I hate 'em so much that, unbeknownst to my husband, I am always able to find out in advance what he has gotten me every year for Christmas. Shh!) When I'm not expecting anyone, my house is usually a wreck--even five minutes after I cleaned it, it seems--my clothes look like I dug through the Goodwill rejects, and I generally am not wearing a bra. (Not a pretty sight, trust me.) I've even dove behind the sofa if someone is knocking at the door, because the door-knockers can see into the living room if he/she would want to.

Oh, yeah, I'm pretty reclusive. I try not to be for my kids' sakes, because they are so social. My four-year-old son walks up to someone, puts out his hand, and says, "Hi, I'm Ethan! What's your name?" He's in preschool, and already I'm feeling the pressure of "perfect mom syndrome." I don't want to be the weird mom, but I think I already am. I'm shy at first, and some people take that to be that I'm standoffish, unfortunately.

My fantasy would be that we would get a big, rambling house with tons of room and a very large, fenced yard where the kids could be secure with room to play. Alas, like you, our house is tiny. Although we think that we can get the basement fixed for an extra bedroom and a family/media/guest room. Since we've been discussing moving, we haven't made any improvements on the house, and I'm afraid of people coming in and judging us based on the shape of our house. We have our kids' events elsewhere, too--except for Eleri's birthday, we had a cookout outside on July 4 (her birthday is the 2nd).

There are a few people who come over. One friend with young kids around the same age as mine just almost begged to come over! But that's just as much for us as for getting the kids together. The kids just all have at it with the toys and games; nothing structured. If we take them outside, we just try to keep them corralled in the yard best we can. As engaging as Ethan is, I have never had a mom speak to me about him visiting for a play date. I don't know if they have many play dates in our rural area, if someone else is waiting for me to extend an invitation, or if I and my family qualify as pariah status.

As far as the church invite incident, I'd pretend it never happened. I'm sure they will, too.

But don't worry about the score-keeping thing. Some parents probably will keep score, some won't.

I'm glad you posted this thread. Now I don't feel so bad about how I feel about the whole dadblamed thing!

Godfather

back door man
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
writerterri said:
How old are you and why do you get along so well? Maybe I could learn something from you.

Waiting eagerly,

Terri

im 16,
maybe its because i have such a guilty conscience (sp?)
i know how much they've done for me and all that,
and it just aint right in my eyes.

my cousin/friend can be pretty cruel to her mom,
and i just dont get it man.

if i get p*ssed off, i just go out.

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Shwebb - you are not alone....:D

Godfather - um, could you give my kid some lessons?

Status
Not open for further replies.