I'm Being Published, but I Don't Have an Agent

andiwrite

Registered
Reaction score
I'm in a situation that I never thought I'd find myself in: I have a book deal, but I don't have an agent.

Things seem to be going okay as far as understanding the contracts I'm signing, communications, etc. Do I really need to try to find an agent at this point? I'm writing my second book now, and I was going to pitch it to my current publisher when I'm done. If they don't want it, I was planning on using it to query agents again at that time.

Does that sound like a good plan? Or, should I be looking for an agent now? If I could just do it on my own, I'd rather... It seems easier than having another person to take some of my money. However, this is all very new to me.

Has anyone else been in this position?

Last edited:

andiwrite

Registered
Reaction score
Well, I've already signed the contracts. I researched the red flags and didn't see any. I couldn't afford a lawyer. :\

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

If you've already signed, then it's a done deal. No agent will take it (that I know of).

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

andiwrite

Registered
Reaction score
Oh okay. That settles it then. Good to know, thanks! :)

I will just stick to my plan of seeking an agent for my next novel.

quicklime

all out of fucks to give
Banned
Reaction score
It is worth noting an agent does more than "take some of your money."

Their contacts may be useful, they have more experience in contracts, and they negotiate on your behalf. Nobody likes giving away twenty percent, but an agent may have negotiated you another forty percent. Or sixty. Or only ten.

There is no simple answer, but they do more than just pocket a ercentage of your earnings....

andiwrite

Registered
Reaction score
I am well aware of that. :) I want one before I sell my next book. I hate trying to understand contracts! I'm REALLY hoping I'll have some success with this first book. Maybe that will make agents more interested in my next.

And thanks, SuperKate! :D

Last edited:

TerryRodgers

Registered
Reaction score
Another note no one mentioned. Is the next book a sequel or new story? I ask because it will be hard to sell to another publisher, which means an agent may not be interested.