PDA

View Full Version : How long to wait before nudging on a full

mommygoth
10-14-2014, 08:53 PM
I got a request for full on September 18th, just a few days after sending the query. I sent the manuscript via email that same day, but haven't heard anything. That may be completely normal (almost a month) or it may not. Just wondering how long to wait before checking to confirm it didn't get lost as spam. I know how crazy busy these guys are, and I don't think they would necessarily follow up if they didn't get something they asked for. They just don't always have time.

JoyMC
10-14-2014, 09:00 PM
Unfortunately one month is nothing. If you can find a stated time they usually take with fulls, either in their own guidelines, or through Query Tracker or the like, give them at least that long and probably add on another few weeks, and then you can nudge.

My agent took five months to offer (and she was a same day request). Before that, with previous manuscripts I had agents take up to a year with fulls.

I know how easy it is to agonize that they didn't get it, but try to relax. 99% of the time those emails go through. Every now and then things get lost in the shuffle, but it's not the norm.

In the meantime, work on something new! It's the only way to keep yourself sane.

mommygoth
10-14-2014, 09:07 PM
Thanks - that kind of context is super helpful. I am definitely working on the second book, just didn't want to leave the first one languishing alone outside school when the bus has already left.

Treehouseman
10-15-2014, 05:09 AM
Gosh, the wait for fulls is super-long. About 4 months is kind of standard, for my querying experience, which is sadly extensive and protracted!

Phaeal
10-15-2014, 05:04 PM
My wait times on fulls varied from 8 months and counting (at which point I had another agent) and overnight (my agent.)

Chill for another couple months, I'd say. (It would be a good idea, I think, for agents to send out a one-line "Got it!" email, just so we aren't tempted to poke, "Didja get it, didja, didja???")