Stupid, stupid, stupid, maladicta, maladicta, maladicta MULES!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lantern Jack

My kitten knows kung-fu!
Registered
Reaction score
Those of you who know me best, and you know who you are (because you regret it every moment of the day), will appreciate the irony of this, but not only are interview requests finally pouring in, but I just found out, instead of moving to the Carolinas, it seems most likely the blustering zephyrs of providence (i.e., my parents) will buffet me toward (wait for it:scared: ) Springhill, Tennessee.

Yes, yes, yes, your humble narrator will soon be back in the dominion of the mules. It seems I cannot escape them, no matter how hard I try. I was born on their special day, grew up right next to their capital, was violated on their special day by their perverted zealots, and now, now NOW!!! over six years after having escaped their cloven clutches, it soon appears I shall be winging back toward them.

Oy! Oy! Oy! Oy! Oy!

So, why, why, why, you inquire, not stay in Buffalo, now the job possibilities are trundling in?

Sigh. I would so like to, children, but think about that for a little mo, can you do that for me? These are my choices: jackass capital of the world or the icy ******* of the universe.

That, friends, is the very definition of a quandary:e2thud:

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome back. I think.

Springhill is home to the General Motors Saturn Division. And a short drive to Nashville. Be sure to go to the annual book festival in the fall.

rich

Dear Zephyred,

You are 26, no? What have your parents got to do with it?

Lantern Jack

My kitten knows kung-fu!
Registered
Reaction score
rich said:
Dear Zephyred,

You are 26, no? What have your parents got to do with it?

Hmmm, how is it you know my age but not my situation? Buffalo has the most dilapidated economy of anywhere in the United States. I've been searching for 10 months for a job (I hold a Bachelor's in communication) and haven't been able to find one anywhere, from temp agencies to Mom & Pop stores to every newspaper from coast to coast. I've submitted at least 7,000 applications in the past 300 days. I can't go anywhere because I don't own a car, for obvious reasons. I can't get a car because I can't get a job. I can't get a job because the tapesty's been shaken and all of the experienced folks have lost their jobs and so have settled for crappy entry-level jobs, the jobs I'd normally have. So I live with my parents until I can find something. Until, well, today, they were planning on going to the Carolinas, where someone like me would be able to find a job with absolute ease. Now they're planning on redirecting to the place where I experienced some of the most brutal abuse, both physical and mental, imaginable. So as you can see, age has nothing to do with it. Contrary to popular belief, you can work your *** off and still get absolutely nowhere:)

kikazaru

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
LJack, I don't know your situation but if I were you, I would not go somewhere there were no job prospects and worse yet bad memories. Take advantage of your youth, throw caution to the wind and go somewhere where you'd like to be. Be a waiter, drive a cab, work in the mailroom - whatever, make enough money to live while you search for the job you'd like to have. But in the mean time you will be making friends, and contacts to help you in your search and be living in a great place of your choosing. Perhaps even keep a diary and use your life's adventure for material for a mag or newspaper article.

Trust me on this - you will be middle aged in the blink of an eye. Don't settle for something you don't want, go out and get what you do want. It's not easy - but it will sure be interesting.

My best wishes to you.

September skies

cloud watching
Registered
Reaction score
under my September Skies in sunny California
Website
www.estheravila.com
Oh dear Jack,
I don't know whether to put you over my lap and spank you or pinch your (facial) cheeks. You are such a funny little boy.

Ok - I've recently turned down three job offers. One just this week - editor for a small newspaper. (also last month, full time writing position and feature editor for good size paper)

For some reason, there are lots of writing jobs out here (try out for them, and if you get one - move out to California. Get a small apt. somewhere - somehow - and for transportation, I'll give you a small older car. Not the best but it'll get you around town. And sorry, no A/C - which you really need, since temps in the summer reach triple digits quite frequently and for long periods at a time.)

Lantern Jack

My kitten knows kung-fu!
Registered
Reaction score
September skies said:
Oh dear Jack,
I don't know whether to put you over my lap and spank you or pinch your (facial) cheeks. You are such a funny little boy.

Ok - I've recently turned down three job offers. One just this week - editor for a small newspaper. (also last month, full time writing position and feature editor for good size paper)

For some reason, there are lots of writing jobs out here (try out for them, and if you get one - move out to California. Get a small apt. somewhere - somehow - and for transportation, I'll give you a small older car. Not the best but it'll get you around town. And sorry, no A/C - which you really need, since temps in the summer reach triple digits quite frequently and for long periods at a time.)

Well, thanks, but, unfortunately, that doesn't work. I've applied for over a thousand editorial and reporting positions all over the United States, but it is physically impossible for me to get at them. I don't have the money to go to interviews, no car to get to them and back, no money for hotels, and they won't hire people who don't already own cars. It is financially impossible for me to get an out-of-state reporting or editorial job right now, hence some of my frustrations. While some people (no offense intended:D ) are turning down my dream jobs left and right, I can't even get the job I'd need to get the car to get to these jobs. And Tennessee, Kikazaru, does have jobs, it's just IRONIC that I'd go back there. In the past 25 years, I've moved from New York to Spring Hill, then back to New York, and now, apparently, back to Spring Hill again:Shrug:

Funny, little world, isn't it?

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I have a friend in her late 30s who is still living with their parents... I can tell you (and her): Get out no matter what. Never move back "home" because of financial issues or what not. Her excuses were always something like "I couldn't afford to live on my own" etc. and she IS miserable. Her parents treat her like a kid, telling her what to do and who to date, and everything, and she can't escape because he lives there. Her relationship with her folks has gotten so bad but she still "couldn't afford to live on her own." And I'm like: get a job at McDonald's and get a crummy little room somewhere and start living on your own and it's still be better.

Just my $0.00002 of course.

reph

Fig of authority
Registered
Reaction score
Jack, move to a large city with good public transit. That's how I cope. I don't like driving, and I've never owned a car.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Yeah, what Reph said. The problem is you live in stinky Buffalo. Move to Chicago or New York, for cryin' out loud.

Lantern Jack

My kitten knows kung-fu!
Registered
Reaction score
maestrowork said:
Yeah, what Reph said. The problem is you live in stinky Buffalo. Move to Chicago or New York, for cryin' out loud.

God, I wish! I could never afford New York nor Chicago nor California. I think you guys are offering me some truly well-meaning, but ill-thought-through advice. Unless I lived in the absolute most sewery conditions in the Bronx, there's no way I could afford New York City, but, all the same, I APPRECIATE the suggestions, even though I don't think particularly practical. All the same, thanks. I appreciate it:e2grouphu

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Lantern Jack said:
God, I wish! I could never afford New York nor Chicago nor California. I think you guys are offering me some truly well-meaning, but ill-thought-through advice. Unless I lived in the absolute most sewery conditions in the Bronx, there's no way I could afford New York City, but, all the same, I APPRECIATE the suggestions, even though I don't think particularly practical. All the same, thanks. I appreciate it:e2grouphu

You can live in NY on a dime if you wish. A friend of mine landed there with only two suitcases to his name, and he made it there...

You're only 26 -- it's not like you have a lot to lose. There's nothing wrong with living in a dump -- I did. I lived in a DUMP for three years while going to college, working two shifts to pay my bills, having ramen and kielbasa for dinner every day for under $1. I wasn't fond of that experience, but it made me a stronger, independent person.

The question is not whether you have the money. The question is whether you have the determination.

But I do understand your concern and fear. I just think that moving back with your folks would be one of the biggest mistakes you would make. That's all. I do care about you, LJ.

Lantern Jack

My kitten knows kung-fu!
Registered
Reaction score
maestrowork said:
You can live in NY on a dime if you wish. A friend of mine landed there with only two suitcases to his name, and he made it there...

You're only 26 -- it's not like you have a lot to lose. There's nothing wrong with living in a dump -- I did. I lived in a DUMP for three years while going to college, working two shifts to pay my bills. I wasn't fond of that experience, but it made me a stronger, independent person.

The question is not whether you have the money. The question is whether you have the determination.

But I do understand your concern and fear. I just think that moving back with your folks would be one of the biggest mistakes you would make. That's all. I do care about you, LJ.

That's why I said, "I appreciate it!" like 50 times, dudinksy. It's just, c'mon, you guys know I'm already living with my folks, right? Right? I didn't move back in with them! I was working and going to college at the same time, and they let me stay with them, because we all thought, as soon as I got out, I'd be able to find some regular work, like quick silver. Then the economy took a major nose dive and, well, now there's bupkiss! But now spring has sprung! Tennessee isn't a bad move! There are plenty of jobs there. It's just IRONIC that I'd be moving back there and just as I'm getting job interviews here. I think I'm getting them now because it's spring and stores need to re-staff. Thanks all:Hug2:

kikazaru

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
maestrowork said:

You're only 26 -- it's not like you have a lot to lose. There's nothing wrong with living in a dump -- I did. I lived in a DUMP for three years while going to college, working two shifts to pay my bills, having ramen and kielbasa for dinner every day for under $1. I wasn't fond of that experience, but it made me a stronger, independent person.

I agree. Imo everyone should live poor in their 20's. There is something particularily character building about living in a dump, using a wooden cable spool for a coffee table, buying your linens from Goodwill, and discovering a 1001 ways to fix Kraft Dinner. The thrill of finally being able to buy a piece of brand new furniture or pay for a trip away for the weekend is indescribable.

Hardship makes you stronger and makes your victories sweeter. You will gain confidence you never knew you had, when you make it on your own.

ETA Ooops, Ignore this - I was typing before I saw your last post. Although I stand by the wooden cable spool coffee table. I wish I still had it.

Last edited:

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
kikazaru said:
The thrill of finally being able to buy a piece of brand new furniture or pay for a trip away for the weekend is indescribable.

I know. The day I spent $600 on a stereo system, with my hard-earned money -- I can never forget it. I still have that stereo, still in good working order!

kikazaru

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
maestrowork said:
I know. The day I spent $600 on a stereo system, with my hard-earned money -- I can never forget it. I still have that stereo, still in good working order!

I bought a brand new sofa bed. The most uncomfortable sleeping arrangement known to man, but it was so pretty. For months after, it thrilled me to my toes whenever I walked into my apartment and saw my living room.

September skies

cloud watching
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.estheravila.com
Lantern Jack said:
Well, thanks, but, unfortunately, that doesn't work. I've applied for over a thousand editorial and reporting positions all over the United States, but it is physically impossible for me to get at them. I don't have the money to go to interviews, no car to get to them and back, no money for hotels, and they won't hire people who don't already own cars. It is financially impossible for me to get an out-of-state reporting or editorial job right now, hence some of my frustrations. While some people (no offense intended:D ) are turning down my dream jobs left and right, I can't even get the job I'd need to get the car to get to these jobs.

L J - do they all require that you go to them to interview? What if you applied anyway, just to see what they say. I'm thinking of one place out here that is a one-man-show type of thing. You write the stories and edit, as well as edit other stories which are turned in by others. The paper only publishes twice a month but salary is $25-28K

Do companies ever interview over the phone? Or by just looking at writing samples? What is your background, if you don't mind me asking. Have you ever done any reporting/writing?

Anyway, If you got the job. I would help you the following way for a couple of months until you got yourself going.

1. Free room/board. I have a small room (separate building - and I do mean, small - kind of primitive) behind my house. It has a bed, a small desk and small table/chair. And a computer! And a toilet but no shower or bath (got to come in the main house for that)
2. Free food. If you don't mind cereals and sandwiches and top ramen noodles for breakfast and lunch. And you're welcome to have dinner with the family every evening - if you so choose.
3. Small car (not real good but gets you around town) I'll even advance you money for gasoline. Eventually, you'd probably need a real car. But if not, we have a pretty good bus system in town.

I know this sounds strange to you. Why would I help a total stranger?

I don't consider you a stranger.

Strange, yes. A stranger, no.
And, my husband and I are self employed, so we're always around.
We're harmless - honest.

I just see a lot of potential in you and I feel that everyone needs a little lucky break every now and then. And if you stop to think about it, I'm not offering much. Just what I already have.

As far as me turning down those jobs -- <sigh> Truth is, I'd love some of them. But I just don't have time for them. With the business (I work 3-4 hours a day in it) and four kids that are super involved in sports and band and extra curricular activities (and an elderly mother that I help take care of) -- I just have no time to take on a "full time" job. I am content with and lately find it hard to even keep up with all my freelancing assignments. (I write for three different newspapers)

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Lantern Jack said:
Hmmm, how is it you know my age but not my situation? Buffalo has the most dilapidated economy of anywhere in the United States. I've been searching for 10 months for a job (I hold a Bachelor's in communication) and haven't been able to find one anywhere, from temp agencies to Mom & Pop stores to every newspaper from coast to coast. I've submitted at least 7,000 applications in the past 300 days. I can't go anywhere because I don't own a car, for obvious reasons. I can't get a car because I can't get a job. I can't get a job because the tapesty's been shaken and all of the experienced folks have lost their jobs and so have settled for crappy entry-level jobs, the jobs I'd normally have. So I live with my parents until I can find something. Until, well, today, they were planning on going to the Carolinas, where someone like me would be able to find a job with absolute ease. Now they're planning on redirecting to the place where I experienced some of the most brutal abuse, both physical and mental, imaginable. So as you can see, age has nothing to do with it. Contrary to popular belief, you can work your *** off and still get absolutely nowhere:)

Go somewhere, anyway. That's the definition of being an adult. Your situation is no different than that of many thousands of others, and a thousand times better than many, and they get up, go, do what needs to be done.

When there is no good job where you are, you go somewhere else and find a job, even if it means sticking out your thumb to get there.

No one ever grew up living at home, and no grown up ever let the unbelievably tiny problems you have stop them.

When you're twenty-five, and your parents still dicatate where you go, where you live, or anything else, the problem isn't with the economy.

Lantern Jack

My kitten knows kung-fu!
Registered
Reaction score
September skies said:
L J - do they all require that you go to them to interview? What if you applied anyway, just to see what they say. I'm thinking of one place out here that is a one-man-show type of thing. You write the stories and edit, as well as edit other stories which are turned in by others. The paper only publishes twice a month but salary is $25-28K

Do companies ever interview over the phone? Or by just looking at writing samples? What is your background, if you don't mind me asking. Have you ever done any reporting/writing?

Anyway, If you got the job. I would help you the following way for a couple of months until you got yourself going.

1. Free room/board. I have a small room (separate building - and I do mean, small - kind of primitive) behind my house. It has a bed, a small desk and small table/chair. And a computer! And a toilet but no shower or bath (got to come in the main house for that)
2. Free food. If you don't mind cereals and sandwiches and top ramen noodles for breakfast and lunch. And you're welcome to have dinner with the family every evening - if you so choose.
3. Small car (not real good but gets you around town) I'll even advance you money for gasoline. Eventually, you'd probably need a real car. But if not, we have a pretty good bus system in town.

I know this sounds strange to you. Why would I help a total stranger?

I don't consider you a stranger.

Strange, yes. A stranger, no.
And, my husband and I are self employed, so we're always around.
We're harmless - honest.

I just see a lot of potential in you and I feel that everyone needs a little lucky break every now and then. And if you stop to think about it, I'm not offering much. Just what I already have.

As far as me turning down those jobs -- <sigh> Truth is, I'd love some of them. But I just don't have time for them. With the business (I work 3-4 hours a day in it) and four kids that are super involved in sports and band and extra curricular activities (and an elderly mother that I help take care of) -- I just have no time to take on a "full time" job. I am content with and lately find it hard to even keep up with all my freelancing assignments. (I write for three different newspapers)

May I have a little time please to...mull it over?

Lantern Jack

My kitten knows kung-fu!
Registered
Reaction score
September skies said:
Sure. I'm pm'ing you the info on the one job. (just in case)

I only have three simple rules: no drugs, no overnight guests and no foul language around my family.

Well, I'm bi-polar, so the no-taking-drugs thing is going to be a problem, since I have to be on a constant regimen of pharmaceuticals, stuff for my stomach, stuff for my head, and whatnot. The overnight-guests things, no problem, as I don't have any friends, save Rachel, and she's in Minnesota. And I don't use foul language, or any language, because, with the exception of Rachel, I don't talk to anybody. I'm very quiet. She just brings the chatter box out in me.

September skies

cloud watching
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.estheravila.com
Lantern Jack said:
Well, I'm bi-polar, so the no-taking-drugs thing is going to be a problem, since I have to be on a constant regimen of pharmaceuticals, stuff for my stomach, stuff for my head, and whatnot. The overnight-guests things, no problem, as I don't have any friends, save Rachel, and she's in Minnesota. And I don't use foul language, or any language, because, with the exception of Rachel, I don't talk to anybody. I'm very quiet. She just brings the chatter box out in me.

no "illegal" drugs - I have no problem with prescription medications

Lantern Jack

My kitten knows kung-fu!
Registered
Reaction score
September skies said:
no "illegal" drugs - I have no problem with prescription medications

Good, because, sans my prescriptions and with the Santa Annas blowing in at the same time, I'm liable to run amuck, trampling flower gardens and pulling the tail of every cat I see:)

Lantern Jack

My kitten knows kung-fu!
Registered
Reaction score
September skies said:

Yes, I'm afraid all employers require a face-to-face before hiring. They need to see how they relate to you, and you relate to them. I'm pm-ing my resume right now. If you want writing samples, well, I'm sorry, but you'll have to wait till tomorrow, as they're on my personal computer and that's upstairs and everybody's :sleepy:

Status
Not open for further replies.