Need Help with Ghost Story

fedorable1

Hopeless Romantic
Registered
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm writing a Ghost/Thriller screenplay and I could use help with something.

Setting:There are actually two ghosts - a brother and sister. The brother was blind and sister was deaf. They were murdered and come back in seach of each other - haunting and terrorizing those in the way.

Dilemma: When they return, the brother only appears at night or in total darkness. The sister is senses during the day or in sunlight.

Questions: Why haven't they found each other yet? How can they be reunited?

The second answer must obviously be something that hasn't happened yet, tieing into the first question. I've had a few ideas and suggestions, but nothing concrete yet. One idea was that they are reunited by a shadow - ie light and darkness at the same time. But, you'd think after a decade or so they would've found a shadow or two.

Anyone else? :flag:

Last edited:

fedorable1

Hopeless Romantic
Registered
Reaction score
Thought about that. But I've been told it's sounds too much like Darkness. :Shrug: We'll see.

Last edited:

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I like arrowqueen's suggestion.

Another idea would be for them to be able to meet, but only for a brief moment, right at sunup or sundown.

Or you could do something with lightning.

fedorable1

Hopeless Romantic
Registered
Reaction score
Hm. Sunrise/set could work. Perhaps since the brother avoids the sunlight he disappears before the sun rises, and the sister is afraid of the dark and so waits until then. Hence they never meet. But if the brother could be stalled/distracted until the sister arrives...well you get the point.

Possible. I like.

Last edited:

MGM

I Like your idea but I think you're missing the point. Light and darkness. If you have the brother and sister return, why not have them return to the only place light and darkness truely exists...within each of us. It's a ghost story, so use the idea of possession, or at least partial possession. Have one partially inhabit the soul of someone who has been born with a silver spoon in their mouth and the other inhabit the soul of someone whose whole life has been lived on the darkside. If you leave them as ghosts, then your story is two-dimensional. There is only so much you can do with it. You can have the sister move in with a good woman and the brother move in with a bad man, but I would prefer to see a story about a kick-*** woman and a straight-laced man. The man would have to be led to understand that evil does truely exist and choices aren't always black and white. The woman would have to learn that life offers us more than pain, more than destitution. The resolution, or the reckoning, whichever you choose to present, would involve all four beings, and provide a union between the deceased brother and sister, and the man and the woman. Life happens. Life changes us. Some ties are stronger than we can explain. As a denouement, you could hint at a future relationship between the man and the woman, or the lack of one. It's a blank page...you fill it.
I would like to see the story as you progress with it. If you progress with it.
MGM ( but you can call me Mike.)

Sentia

Registered
Reaction score
Wow, fedorable, you're creepy!
biggrin.gif

Okay, my 2 cents worth. It sounds to me like the brother and sister are emotionally close, which is why they're wreaking havoc trying to find one another. Many siblings have nonconventional ways of communicating with one another. Perhaps the sister could leave a clue for the brother, an obstacle in his path that he would stumble over and recognize as her "signature communication" to him. Likewise, he could reciprocate by signaling with a clue that she would understand could only come from him. Perhaps with his enhanced sense of touch (developed while in human form), he can find an object that he knows if he puts it in a place his sister is likely to frequent, that his sister would recognize as being connected with him, something which wasn't there before.

Or you might have one of them develop enhanced intuition and be aware of the other yet still not able to communicate, thereby prolonging the suspense.

What are they going to do, kill their murderer? Could they leave clues for one another that lead them both to the murderer at the same time? *shivers*

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Ghosts

fedorable1 said:
Hello,

I'm writing a Ghost/Thriller screenplay and I could use help with something.

Setting:There are actually two ghosts - a brother and sister. The brother was blind and sister was deaf. They were murdered and come back in seach of each other - haunting and terrorizing those in the way.

Dilemma: When they return, the brother only appears at night or in total darkness. The sister is senses during the day or in sunlight.

Questions: Why haven't they found each other yet? How can they be reunited?

The second answer must obviously be something that hasn't happened yet, tieing into the first question. I've had a few ideas and suggestions, but nothing concrete yet. One idea was that they are reunited by a shadow - ie light and darkness at the same time. But, you'd think after a decade or so they would've found a shadow or two.

Anyone else? :flag:

In a way, this reminds me of the movie "Ladyhawk." I'm not sure I'm remembering the names correctly, but I think two lovers, Navarre and Isabeau, have a curse that causes Navarre to be a wolf during the night and Isabeau to be a hawk during the day. You might watch the movie and see how they dealt with it.

Just remember that it's your story, and you can make up any plausible method you like.

MarkEsq

Clever title pending.
Registered
Reaction score
In the wilds of Texas. Actually, the liberal oasi
Wow, I like this. MGM's idea/analysis is awesome if you can pull it off. One possibility in that vein: fog. You could have the two come together at the end in fog... the lingering question could perhaps be, who is it coming together, the brother and sister or the new lovers?

eldragon

in a van down by the river
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lifeat42.blogspot.com
They run into each other while both looking for the same thing in the attic.

Like a photo of their mother.

And the emotional responses brought on by finding the picture, makes them see each other.

Or, something.

rtilryarms

Crossbows and Handgonnes
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The house was tented for termites and a light was left on in the bedroom. They see each other from a distance but dsapear from each other's sense when they get close to the edge of the dark.

Lloydyboy

Registered
Reaction score
Helping?

Perhaps its a certain kind of shadow that's required. A lunar/solar eclipse for instance - something that only occurs once in a while. Did they die during such an event many years ago?

Look to the astrological; a passing comet, aurora borealis....

It also lends itself to them not finding each other right away.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Kate Thornton

Still Happy to be Here. Or Anywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.katethornton.net
rtilryarms said:
The house was tented for termites

OMG, I snorted tea all over my keyboard!

Thanks for a super idea for a story *I'm* writing!!!!

I love all the suggestions for the ghost story. Best of luck with it.