PDA

View Full Version : Looking for quotes/stories about grief after losing a loved one

MonaLeigh
10-12-2014, 10:46 PM
Hi! I am working on a book called "Grief Sucks! 25 Ways to Deal with it Before You Kill Someone" based on the time period around when my mom died and I seriously thought I was going crazy.

I am looking for quotes or stories from people centered around losing someone close.

What are some ways you dealt with your grief that didn't work, and what are some things that helped?

Are there things you wished you'd done differently? Things you're grateful you did?

You can comment on here, message me privately, or email me (happysoulrevolution@gmail.com). Your quote or story may be used in the book. Either way, everyone will receive a response. Thank you!

Lauram6123
10-12-2014, 11:34 PM
The Year of Magical Thinking by Joan Didion is more than just a story, it's kind of an excruciating study of the shock and grief she felt after the sudden death of her husband. I'd highly recommend it.

If you don't want to read the entire book, here's an article where she talks a little bit about grief.
http://nymag.com/nymetro/arts/books/14633/

Ketzel
10-13-2014, 12:14 AM
Your quote or story may be used in the book.
Just a heads up that anything original that people send to you in written form is their copyrighted material. If you do collect material from other people that you intend to use in your own publication, I recommend you consult with a copyright lawyer first about how copyright is transferred, so that you avoid infringement. If you've already thought of this, it would be good to be specific in this thread about how you are planning to handle this. For example, what rights will you want, and will there be any payment offered?

StarryEyes
10-13-2014, 01:57 AM
PM'd you.

Darron
10-13-2014, 09:16 AM
A few weeks into my first year teaching I received a text from my dad that my cousin had passed away that morning. I remember when my phone vibrated in my pocket during second period and checked it once class ended. I knew my cousin had been getting sick from a bad reaction to medication he was receiving after an accident and slipped into a coma the day before so it wasn't completely out of the blue, but he was two years older than me and my cousin so it messed with me.

Our family, as large as it is, hasn't ever had anyone young die (he was a month shy of 25) or so suddenly. My father, his father, and my three other aunts/uncles were all at a point where they couldn't function. My way of dealing with the situation was to make sure all the arrangements were taking care of. I hadn't seen him in months so I was going to make sure he was set up in a good plot and venue and helped gathering the rest of the family.

So I would say my coping strategy immediately after hearing about his death was to use the monumental task of getting a funeral and viewing situated two hours away as paying my respects and getting closure. Was I compensating for not visiting him in the hospital yet? Completely. I had a chance to run over to see him the day before he fell into a coma and I chose to grade papers instead.

I am sure many people reflect and see what they could have done to see the deceased and guilt themselves like me. I tried to make up for it by being there for the rest of the family and showing Brad that I loved him too.

I hope that was helpful in some way, take care.

PeteMC
10-13-2014, 01:00 PM
I watched my Mum die horribly in a hospice over several months. I did my grieving then, and by the time she finally went I have to say it was more a relief that she was out of her misery than anything else.