Military Disability

quixote100104

Registered
Reaction score
Greetings,

I'm constructing a character who is a US military veteran and Medal of Honor recipient. He is supposed to be a bit of a nomad and thus I thought to add a military disability payment to the MOH pension to give him some reasonable living capitol while not tying him to a specific location/occupation.

I'd rather not make it something too incapacitating, as that would limit some of the story ideas I had. I was thinking about something along the lines of loss of one or both testicles, possibly PTSD, but I have no idea how that works or what percentage of the service income these conditions would rate.

Something that was healed but still qualified would also be useful. I know my Father recieved a 35% disability check for trauma induced epilepsy from the mid-50s until his death in 2012 without any major issues and you'd never have known there was a problem if he didn't tell you.

Thanks for any help you folks can provide,

AZ_Dawn

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
I was thinking about something along the lines of loss of one or both testicles
I know someone who used to do medical boards for the USAF until about 2000. He'd also give speeches on VA benefits to people who were retiring from the AF. One of the things he'd mention in his speech was that women who had a hysterectomy could get 33% 30% disability for it. He'd let the men grumble about that a little bit, then tell them they could receive the same benefits if they had both testicles removed.

I'll double-check with him later, but I'm pretty sure it was 33% for both testicles.

Hope that helps.

ETA: Double-checked. Turns out it's 30% disability.

Last edited:

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Had a friend who was a Navy diver who was honorably discharged after an underwater explosion took out his eardrums and gave him a permanent hearing loss. Ended his diving career and limited his ability to find employment. That as worth a decent payment, 75% if I remember.

Had another who fell in his first week of basic training and cracked a vertebrae. Had to have his spine fused, but no significant loss of mobility or medical issues (he got a serious case of pneumonia courtesy of the VA, but that's a different story...). He got a 33% (again, I think) disability check but it amounts to beer money since he was in the service all of nine days.

Both of these are older, mid 1980's for the diver and early 1990's for the broken back, so things have changed again and may not be current. Neither were combat injuries either.

Jeff

Karen Junker

Live a little. Write a lot.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.CascadeWriters.com
The only veteran I know who got a full permanent disability was a woman who was in the Navy -- and was sexually assaulted by other people in her unit. There was a report and she was ultimately given an honorable discharge (due to emotional/mental issues/PTSD) but it wasn't until 8-10 years later that she finally got her VA checks. She lived a pretty reclusive life, but was eccentric. There were things she could do and things she couldn't.

Red-Green

KoalaKoalaKoala!
Registered
Reaction score
At the publishing party, whacking the piñata
Website
www.bryngreenwood.com
My ex-husband receives 45% disability on his Staff Sergeant's salary from the Marines. He has non-debilitating injury to both knees, and had to have his right shoulder rebuilt, both injuries the result of doing multiple combat jumps into Afghanistan. He functions well, walks without assistance, but has limited mobility in that shoulder, and receives regular care/therapy on his knees. Oh! And like 5% of his disability is because of a problem with his scalp caused by exposure to depleted uranium. He basically has the worst dandruff you can imagine.

Trebor1415

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
The military disability system is complex and difficult to navigate. It's actually possibly to receive more than 100% disability if you work the system correctly. It's also more likely for vets to NOT receive anywhere near what they should receive as they don't understand how to navigate the bueracracy and don't know how to appeal wrongful determinations.

Since your character received the MOH you could have had someone take an interest in his case years ago. For instance, if he had a friend or supporter who used to navigating the vet system he could have set it up for the character to receive every single benefit he was entitled too and wind up with a decent medical disability payment.

EDIT: As to injuries, knee injuries, back injuries, PTSD, reduced lung capacity due to wounds, reduced mobility in arms or legs due to injuries, hearing damage, etc., practically anything or any combination is reasonable for the story.

You wouldn't need to go into details in the story. Just a throwaway line or two how his Congressman helped him navigate the VA system when he had problems with benefits or something would be all you need.

Last edited:

cmhbob

Did...did I do that?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bobmuellerwriter.com
Don't forget the Disabled American Veterans organization. They specialize in helping vets navigate the VA.

Tinnitus is 10% disability. Hearing loss is 15, I think, but it's harder to prove that. Tinnitus is pretty much a gimme. Certain chronic diseases if first diagnosed in the military count as a service-connected disability. Gout is one such disease, and it's worth 20%. The checks don't start until you reach 30% disability.

www.cmohs.org is a great resource regarding the Medal of Honor.

ETA: Once disability is established, there are bumps for dependents. That is, there's a flat rate based on your percentage of disability, then additional funds for each dependent child. I have currently have 6 kids under 18, so there's a pay bump for them that falls off when they each turn 18.

Last edited: