William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
A day before organizers planned to rally downtown against U.S. border restrictions, hundreds of students walked out of four high schools in Los Angeles this morning to march for immigrant rights.

The atmosphere was festive as 500 Huntington Park High School students waved Mexican flags, held balloons colored green, white and red, and periodically broke into cheers of "Mexico! Mexico!"

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-032406protest_lat,0,1662563.story?coll=la-home-headlines

scfirenice

professional multitasker
Registered
Reaction score
I see several ironies in this situation. Everyone marching probably has a vested interest in the bill not passing and ALSO, if mexico is so darn good that you need to march against an American proposal while carrying a foreign flag, maybe you should head back. Now don't e mail me and say I am a bad person, but come on....at least carry American flag to remind us anglos where we are living and what this country stands for.

DamaNegra

Mexican on the loose!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fictionpress.com
I find it funny how most of them are called Jerry Dominguez or Janice Perez or whatever, lol.

And well, no one knows what drove these people out of their country, so you can't exactly blame them for missing their country or still being in love with it.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I assume you mean 'if Mexico is so great why are you moving to the US?'

It doesn't feel all that ironic to me as a non-resident alien in the US. I like the US, especially the employment opportunities--but I love New Zealand. I am aware of what the US is doing for me, and immigrants and non-resident aliens contribute ot the US (including being cheap skilled and unskilled labor), and what the US will be doing for NZ by sending me back with improved qualifications and a broader experience.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I'm an immigrant and it took me over 20 years to get my family back together, legally, in the US... so this is a hot/emotional issue for me. I don't think those protesters know what they're talking about, and it bugs me to see them "supporting" illegal immigrants... It has nothing to do with "freedom." Laws are still laws, and you can't break them, then accuse Americans for being anti-Mexicans, etc. On the other hand, I, too feel the general anti-immigration sentiment in this country. It is there.

My thoughts:

1. I think immigrants are important to this country. It's our heritage. It's not a good thing when the country becomes anti-immigration.
2. I think immigration laws should be relaxed, especially for skilled workers and family reunions.
3. I don't think illegal immigrants should be given amnesty. Sorry, if I had to go through all the legal channels, pay all the fees, and wait 10 years, I don't believe anyone should be able to sneak in this country illegally, then get pardoned and granted citizenship -- we shouldn't reward that. Also, we would be encouraging smugglers, who may charge up to $100,000 a head. That's just awful.
4. However, I don't think illegal immigrants should be treated as criminals and felons.
5. I think we need better border control. With all the money we spend on homeland security and the military, our border control is pathetic. It's SO easy to cross the border. And illegal immigrants would be our least concern -- what about terrorists?

Danger Jane

Registered
Reaction score
JoeEkaitis said:
Oh, "ditch day."

Just like a school near me where everyone left class to protest their fifth principal's leaving (fifth this year). Apparently he gave them "stability". And a great excuse for leaving class as well as getting on TV.

JoeEkaitis

Certified Gray Haired Geek
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A wondrous land whose boundaries are that of imagi
Mdlle. Nancy said:
Just like a school near me where everyone left class to protest their fifth principal's leaving (fifth this year). Apparently he gave them "stability". And a great excuse for leaving class as well as getting on TV.
And have you noticed it's ALWAYS on a FRIDAY?

Danger Jane

Registered
Reaction score
JoeEkaitis said:
And have you noticed it's ALWAYS on a FRIDAY?

Oh, of course. I mean we may be young...but no one is better than weaselling out of work.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Of course being out of school without permission to support being in the country without permission is the least irionic aspect of the whole thing--quite apt, in fact.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
you'll have to excuse me for thinking this is a little more than immigrants looking to block punitive legislation.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
surprising, no.

i've been following the racist hatemongering of la raza for years.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
People often rant about 'immigrants' in front of me. They get very embarrassed when I point out I am one--as if they didn't know. Yep, here I am, immigrant in this country just to make money. Legally of course, it's tricky to get work as an illegal university professor, let alone smuggling myself across the entire Pacific Ocean. Somehow 'immigrant' seems to mean 'unless you are white and have a cute accent'.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
yes, but to my knowledge, you're not part of a group of new zealanders saying that the continent belongs to you and that, if push comes to shove, you'll have to kill the gringo.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
by the way, i don't "rant" about immigrants. i support legal immigration and also support an amnesty program to legalize as many as we can of those who are currently here. but the flow has to stop from mexico.

and i'm not at all on board with any movement that seeks to subjugate my children.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I wasn't accusing. I also suspect the proportion of mexican immigrants planning to take over the country is, shall we say, small.

SC Harrison

Dances With Hamsters
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
William Haskins said:
surprising, no.

i've been following the racist hatemongering of la raza for years.

How sweet is this?

NCLR Position
NCLR believes that a state-issued driver’s license should be reliable proof of an individual’s identity and proof of authorization to drive a motor vehicle; it should not be tied to an individual’s immigration status. There are legitimate and sound avenues for individuals to prove identity which would allow state Departments of Motor Vehicles to fulfill their mission of ensuring safe roads without creating new licensing requirements that would make the driver’s license a de facto proof of legal residency in the United States.

http://www.nclr.org/

(finger snap) I've got it! Hire illegal aliens to work in the DMVs, so they can secretly view the real documents to determine if the applicant really isn't who he says he is. They could also be given easy access to a list of dead people's Social Security numbers, to ensure the same numbers aren't used more than once.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I did find it curious that I had to hand over my SSN, passport, visa and several forms of id to get a learners permit--it made me wonder what they thought I was going to do with a car. Now I guess I get it. i had not idea the license was used as an ID.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
try these on for size:

"We’re a new Mestizo nation. And they want us to discuss civil rights. Civil rights. What law made by white men to oppress all of us of color, female and male. This is our homeland. We cannot—we will not—and we must not be made illegal in our own homeland. We are not immigrants that came from another country to another country. We are migrants, free to travel the length and breadth of the Americas because we belong here. We are millions. We just have to survive. We have an aging white America. They are not making babies. They are dying. It’s a matter of time. The explosion is in our population.”

“We have got to eliminate the gringo, and what I mean by that is if the worst comes to the worst, we have got to kill him.”

are these quotes from some back-alley revolutionary in a "small" group? nope, he's a professor for the university of texas (i get to help pay his salary).

brokenfingers

Walkin' That Road
Registered
Reaction score
These rallies etc only confirm my belief that the masses are easily led and swayed by emotion and hyperbole.

They also remind me of the protests overseas about the Dutch political cartoon and the anti-American protests in various nations etc. etc. as well as the spreading of urban legends as gospel.

People with agendas can always find a way to rouse the disenchanted, the ignorant and the unwary to serve their purpose - it's a constant refrain in the song of history.

September skies

cloud watching
Registered
Reaction score
under my September Skies in sunny California
Website
www.estheravila.com
I'm frequently referred to as a traitor - by strangers.
I can not stand these protests - if they love Mexico so much and are so willing to wave the flags and chant in Spanish - I have three words for them:

MOVE TO MEXICO

I'm sorry - I know I'm of Mexican descent (to American parents/both of my parents born here) - but I'm 100-percent American. I was asked once if I could, if I would get dual citizenship and when I said no, they looked at me as if I had committed a horrible sin -
I'm American. The only flag I will wave is the Red-White-and-Blue. I love John Phillip Souza marches - Stars and Stripes Forever - and I will forever be loyal to my country.

Everyone else can go away as far as I'm concerned -- I mean, if all they want to do is burn our flag and complain about how horrible the President is and how horrible America is --- then go home!!!

auuughhh!! I need to calm down. These threads are not good for my blood pressure......

September skies

cloud watching
Registered
Reaction score
under my September Skies in sunny California
Website
www.estheravila.com
The sooner that wall is built - the better. There! I said it.
(Then if they want to come over, they can - but legally)

I am so Da## tired of all these illegals coming over and getting free medical help. I need medical care desperately (I'd like to get a cardiac checkup) but can't afford it. I feel like changing my name to Maria and going to some clinic and saying I'm here illegally. But with my luck, they'll somehow get me and kick me to the other side. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.