Writing a CV

PrincessOfCats

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure that this is the proper forum for this thread; if it's not, please forgive me. I looked around for a thread on this topic, but I'm new to the forum and still figuring out the search function, and where everything goes.

I got a partial request today that, among other things, requests a CV. This is the first time anyone has specifically asked for a CV in a partial or full request, and I've never written one before.

I'm pretty much self-taught on this whole query thing -- I learned to write queries and synopsises (synposi?) by reading interviews about what agents liked and didn't like, and examples of what worked and didn't. But that technique isn't getting me a whole lot of help for writing a CV.

My last produced work was an on-again-off-again op ed gig for a local newspaper and a couple of plays performed by a local theater company over 10 years ago. I didn't even major in English in college, because the creative writing department wasn't teaching me as much about writing as the drama department did.

Any advice for how to proceed? Should I just tell them I couldn't deliver a CV because I don't have any recent writing credits?

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
Are you writing nonfiction? I have no idea why anyone would want a CV unless they are looking for credentials and teaching/research experience.

CVs are essentially resumes for academics that are a bit longer. CV "format" will vary. You could go to any faculty site of any department of any university and click on professors' CVs to get an idea. I could PM you mine if you want.

A CV usually includes your education, work history (research and teaching at the fore), list of publications (including works in progress), list of speaking events like conferences where you were on a panel, boards you have been involved with (e.g. I served on a fiction board for a literary contest), grants you have contributed to, etc. etc.

That's why I asked if this was nonfiction. Unless this was a super high-falootin' literary submission . . . I just don't know.

If you aren't writing non-fiction or any type of educational/research material, I'd probably just consider the CV a straight-up resume. Or, email to ask for clarification.

PrincessOfCats

Registered
Reaction score
The novel isn't non-fiction nor high falootin' literary fiction. It's young adult fantasy. You can see why the CV request has me scratching my head.

I guess I'll patch something together, slap on some of the frills and padding that college essays taught me, and hope for the best.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

If the agent primarily reps nonfic, he/she might call the bio a CV, even for fiction. Treat it as for a fiction bio, but include more detail on work history, media experience, speaking experience, etc.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Agents often want to know something about the authors they might end up representing, which is why they sometimes request a CV.

It's no big deal. Just write half a page about your background, career, and so on.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
It always comes down to what novels an agent has placed with top publishers, and who the writers are in her stable. If these things are good, a CV is no big deal, through the only agents I've known who primarily handle novel, and who still wanted a CV, dealt primarily with literary fiction.