I spoke into a microphone in front of PEOPLE!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bananamelissa

Climbing the mountain of life
Registered
Reaction score
Website
melissa-field.com
Today I MC'd a spirituality fair in the town next to mine. Public speaking has been my greatest fear and most limiting obstacle in writing. I think a lot of writers can relate to this fear. Ever walked into a writer's conference about to pitch a book? Yeah, that fear is real, and it sucks. So I posted awhile ago that I started going to Toast Masters in order to stop being my own worst enemy. I want to speak my ideas clearly and with confidence, thereby inspiring others to get interested in my work.

Shortly after starting Toast Masters, in a spontaneous moment I regretted after, I volunteered to MC this fair, which was more of an expo. I think about 1,000 people went. At its busiest point 500 people were there. I announced raffle prize winners, announced seminars, and tried to promote things around as people asked me to.

For the first two hours I was absolutely terrified. They kept telling me to speak louder, and I was afraid they were going to replace me. I didn't want to lose this opportunity to face my fear, so somehow I actually pulled it together and spoke both clear and loud. It was a 6 hour event, and I am so thankful for that. By the end I felt pretty comfortable and even enjoyed myself.

This is part one of me busting through this fear like Miley Cyrus swinging on a wrecking ball. On Tuesday, I have my first open mic reading. I have been having waves of panic over this, but after today I feel a lot better.

I know people could see how scared I was because they kept coming up to comfort me. In some ways this is the hardest part, because I couldn't stand up there acting like a cool ass person that never trips up. I was a shaking leaf and all my insecurities and weaknesses were out there. But my gosh, you guys, I actually did it! And this beer I'm having now is so nice...

p989943502-4.jpg

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
The Pertinent Paragraph:
For the first two hours I was absolutely terrified. They kept telling me to speak louder, and I was afraid they were going to replace me. I didn't want to lose this opportunity to face my fear, so somehow I actually pulled it together and spoke both clear and loud. It was a 6 hour event, and I am so thankful for that. By the end I felt pretty comfortable and even enjoyed myself.
Wow! Congratulations!

Osulagh

Independent fluffy puppy.
Registered
Reaction score
That's great! I've always had some difficulties with public speaking, so I know how it feels to go in cold.

BTW, the old words of my public speaking professor comes to mind when I see that image: "You're not speaking to the audience; you're speaking to a piece of paper! Speak to something living--they can hear!" I don't know if this'll scare you or make you laugh, but her words always pop up, so I've got to say them.

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Good work!

Mclesh

It's too hot
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.storyrhyme.com
Congratulations!

I have a fear of public speaking also. The last time I had to read in front of a crowd, I was really nervous. Then I reminded myself that it wasn't all about me and that I needed to get over myself. That helped a bit. ;)

Big accomplishment! I hope it gets easier for you after this.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't want to lose this opportunity to face my fear, so somehow I actually pulled it together and spoke both clear and loud.

<<snip>>

But my gosh, you guys, I actually did it! And this beer I'm having now is so nice...

p989943502-4.jpg

You brave thing! That's really impressive :)

Last edited:

Qui Amat Scribere

sed qui usquam procrastinates.
Registered
Reaction score
Wow! That took a lot of guts, it's awesome that you're taking control of your fear!

It's inspiring to me, because I have a huge fear of talking to people. Being up on a stage announcing things would be fine - it's talking about myself (or my book) that terrifies me.

Congratulations, and I bet you'll rock that open mic reading!

bananamelissa

Registered
Reaction score
Website
melissa-field.com
Thank you so much everyone! This really was a huge step for me, and one that took me years to take. But it's done!

Osulagh - that did make me laugh, and I will remember that Tuesday, when I go to read at the open-mic. I'll be sure and be loud enough the living and the dead can hear me! haha.

Mclesh - I have heard that before, that if you think of it as "this is for them, not me," you will project better and feel better energy. After reading your comment I remember after a few hours thinking, "I want to do a good job for everyone here, not just me. I want to help support this event!" That really did help, so hopefully I will remember that for future stuff!

Qui Amat Scribere - I totally feel ya, talking about my work and my writing has always been a struggle. But I think any chance you can get to stand up and speak into a microphone, I would take it! It feels like I'm in the process of crawling before I can walk, and once I walk, I can run! If you take it one step at a time getting over the fear of speaking about your book feels entirely possible.

Snowstorm

Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue
Registered
Reaction score
Good for you! Public speaking is one of the worst fears for nearly everyone, so you're not alone! But you DID it! You persevered. Now, have another beer!

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Congratz!!!

Trust me, it will get easier.

You looked really cute too - Lurve the orange noggin cover. ;)

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well done, yes ma'am.:Hug2:

One wee tip is to get someone else to talk normally into the microphone while you go a short distance away - or to the back of the room if inside. Apart from letting you know the acoustics, if you know how they normally sound you can get a pretty good idea of how you might come across, where to hold the microphone and whether to speak louder, softer, slower, clearer or whatever.

Cheers - :snoopy:

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
CGs! Definitely a major accomplishment, every time we break through the limitations of such fears.

bananamelissa

Registered
Reaction score
Website
melissa-field.com
You guys and gals are seriously so awesome! This encouragement meant a lot to me as I went for the next step today. I wanted to share a small follow up with you all - I did it!!!! I went to an open mic night and stood before the crowd and read two of my short pieces of work. There were about 30 people there, which was probably all I could handle. I managed to say a little about each before hand, and to find and hear my voice was an incredible experience. My whole body was shaking the whole time, like this giant shudder, but I managed to speak clear and loud after I got some momentum going. The moment I walked up and stepped into the spotlight was one I'll never forget. What a night!

Thank you all again. I can't believe I did it, and I feel so much more empowered to build on this and to keep facing down this fear. I'm going to share a small bit on this in my blog soon, but for now - HOORAY!

p312850919-4.jpg

annapalooza

Learning about time management
Registered
Reaction score
This is amazing! You are amazing! I could never in a thousand years imagine doing something like this! Ku-freaking-dos!:partyguy:

wampuscat

Recovering adjective addict
Registered
Reaction score
YAY! Go, you! Speaking in front of people is so not my thing. I have to have it all planned out in advance. I had to give a training session with a bunch of people I know recently, and even that made me stumble over my words. That's so exciting that you were able to accomplish this!

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
OMG, I would be puking my guts out. Seriously. I'm nervous just thinking about it. This is a triumph that you conquered beautifully!!! You're an inspiration.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Status
Not open for further replies.