Yet more advice - publisher wants full, (post 26)

CathleenT

I write
Registered
Reaction score
Hey everyone, if you wouldn’t mind giving me some advice, I would really appreciate it.

Concerning agents, I actually know very little. I’ve heard that they’re well worth their commission, can help you plan your career, and greatly increase your chances of getting a novel accepted by a publisher. Sometimes they leave and you have to find another. I’ve read that they find about a third of their new writers from queries, and your chances of getting an agent go way up if your query is decent. (I’m going to be relying heavily on the QLH faeries for the last.)

I also know that I can find them at Agent Query, and there’s some sort of qualification there that’s supposed to mean they’re legit, but just because an agent doesn’t have said credential doesn’t mean they’re no good. And I really don’t want an agent listed in the Beware forum here.

That’s it. People talk about dream agents and my mind goes ? Thus far, I’ve retold fairy tales in historic settings. Hansel and Gretel in the Thirties in southern California, Snow White in Civil War gold country (California), and Snow White and Rose Red (no relation to previous fairy tale) in Bleeding Kansas (1850s).

So I probably need an agent that represents fantasy, and historicals, and just to be safe because of my MCs, is okay with religious stuff as well, although I don’t think of my books as being religious stories. I can put all that into the search thingie at AQ and agents’ names pop out.

At that point, am I done? Do I just start sending out queries in groups of five or ten? Or is there something I should do in between getting the names and sending out queries?

Thank you for helping me to fill in my rather inadequate knowledge base on this topic.

Last edited:

Osulagh

Independent fluffy puppy.
Registered
Reaction score
An agent is someone who's a middle man between you and publishers. They have connections to editors working at publishers--many connections a writer on their own cannot make. An example of this is some publishers don't have open submissions and will only look at books when submitted by trusted agents (or agencies). An agent can deal with publishers and contracts for you--so you're not getting screwed over in the process.

Though, you don't need an agent. You can submit to some publishers on your own--recommended not to do this until you can't query any more agents. You will have to go through your contract so you're not getting screwed over, and if you don't know what you're reading you can hire a literacy attorney to break things down.

So, like I suggested in your previous thread, focus on one book; query that one book in a large market. Genres are markets, and the wider the market you can sell to the more queries you can send out. So, for instance, don't query to only agents who deal with fairy-tale retellings told in historic times with romance, mystery, and religious themes--you'll probably find no agents to fit to that. Let's say, you query for agents who handle general fantasy, and focus more on the agents who have gotten fairy-tale retellings published, you'll have a good pool to pick through.

Do your research on agents. Yes, they need credentials--anyone can call themselves an agent or editor. There's no degree or license for this. It's best for them to have prior experience as like a long-time intern, understudy, or as an editor and whatnot. Real experience like 10 years working at an reputable agency is great. If you can find them in the Bewares section here, make sure good things are being said.

The steps you take:

Finish you manuscript. Fully.
Figure out what market you'll be selling into (genre). Try to compare genres with similar books.
Create a query letter, send it to QLH for a red-line treatment. Revise until polished.
Find a lot of agents who represent your genre. Not just 5 or 10, but more like a hundred. There's a chance you might snag a great agent on the first query, but many people also go through hundreds of agents until they find the right one, so best to have a pool to go through.
Query in batches. Keep records of when you queried and any rejections/replies.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
And I really don’t want an agent listed in the Beware forum here.

Keep in mind that the "Bewares" forum is actually "Bewares, Recommendations, and Background Checks." It's worth it to read the thread on any agency in there. The information may be that it's an agency to avoid or that it's a great agency. It may hold information about the current submission times and situations of the agents at the agency. Don't dismiss an agent or agency because it's in BR&BC.

Treehouseman

Registered
Reaction score
I highly recommend QueryTracker.com over Agent Query as an agent-finding resource.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Carole Blake's book From Pitch to Publication is great. It tells you in detail what agents do for their clients. She's a friend of mine but I loved that book before we met.

Good agents not only find you deals, they negotiate those deals and make sure you get the best deal possible; and they ensure that your publishers stick to the terms of your contract, which is important.

Authors with representation get better advances, on average, than those without; what's not so often understood is that they get more deals, too, as few authors are able to make their own foreign and subsidiary deals, whereas agents do that every day.

There are lots of agent-search facilities online which are very effective. But don't forget to find out who represents books which are similar to yours, as that can give you a useful insight into who is not only out there, but who is making good deals right now.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Don't forget to have a look at our own AW list of SF/F agents

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
Keep in mind that the "Bewares" forum is actually "Bewares, Recommendations, and Background Checks." It's worth it to read the thread on any agency in there. The information may be that it's an agency to avoid or that it's a great agency. It may hold information about the current submission times and situations of the agents at the agency. Don't dismiss an agent or agency because it's in BR&BC.

I'm seconding this. There's just about every agent out there in those forums, good, bad and ugly. It's important to know what you're getting into and the Bewares section does in fact have vital info.

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
You're already on the right track. In reading your post, I think your question is really, "Everyone seems to have a 'dream' agent. How do I find out enough about a particular agent to dream of them?"

My best answer is a question: "If you were the winner of a contest and could inherit the fan base of the #1 International bestselling author of books that are closest to yours in plot, tone, characterization, etc., who would it be?" Now, what if you were the second place winner of that contest and could ride the coattails of the second bestseller in your genre, who would it be?

Go to Querytracker and find out who represents those two authors. Look at the rest of their client list. If you recognize every name on their list of authors and would consider yourself proud to be on that list, you just found your "dream" agent. It means the agent's tastes in writing are similar to your style, and most importantly, they already know who to sell your book to at publishers! :)

If there's no one agent who represents the powerhouses of your genre, find a few who you'd like to share shelf space with and look at their agents. If you're writing a truly groundbreaking mash-up of genres, then pick the strongest genres in the book, or try both/all genres.

And finally, if you have no clue who might write what you write, then get yourself to a bookstore, library or Google and start searching for authors. Buy some books or check them out and start reading. Not only will you find great authors and potential agents, but you'll have fun in the process! :D

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
After AQ or that QT you might go to the agent's sites and read their bios, etc. Then google them and try to find interviews. (A fair number have been.) That'll help you decide whether you connect with an agent. "Dream agents" to me arise from that research. Ones which are on the same page as yourself and have similar aims. All in all you conclude, "this is someone I want to work with." Then you get "the call" and find out they're totally different than you anticipated ;-)

G'luck. Most important is writing a good book. Then you have the pick of the litter.

Last edited:

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
I'm going to add something to all these posts: As Ken said, do a search also on each agent and agency. Cross-reference. This is important since I've noticed over the years, that both AgentQuery and QueryTracker have some out-dated information, such as links that go nowhere or authors who are not represented by said agent.

Best of luck!

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
both AgentQuery and QueryTracker have some out-dated information, such as links that go nowhere or authors who are not represented by said agent.

... also, they may say an agent is open to submissions, but if you go to their sites you find out they're closed to them. So definitely check for updated info, too, as Stormie suggests.

thisprovinciallife

hi! i'm reese.
Registered
Reaction score
Manuscriptwishlist.com has some great info -- agents post what types of manuscripts they're looking for. If they request your genre, then you can do a little bit more research on the agency and find out if they're a good fit.

Also, make a list of authors you like, who write in the same genre or share your writing style. Just googling '[Author Name] Agent' will give you a great list of potential agents. Then you can follow them on Twitter, read interviews they've given, and soon you'll know who your Dream Agents are :)

CathleenT

I write
Registered
Reaction score
I want to thank everyone who's been kind enough to post a reply.

I have a codicil to my original question, from an article I read on finding agents. I can't source it, because it was a few months ago now, but it came to mind when I was reading the posts above.

The advice went to the effect that agents might not want work that's too close to someone they already represent, because you'd be competing with one of their clients. Is this something I should be concerned about? Because it seems like you could go quietly nuts trying to decide if your work is just close enough, but not too close.

Thanks again. :e2steer:

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
Two debuts that are similar . . . maybe. But a bestseller and an up-and-comer? Bring it on! Someone will have to inherit the throne when the bestselling author stops a series--especially when the fan base is for the genre, not just anything the author writes. Agents love finding the next big thing. I wouldn't worry. In fact, I got my agent by a bestseller recommending me to the agent as the successor to her throne. :) I haven't quite achieved it yet, but it takes just the right series at just the right moment. I'm still putting out new series, so who knows?

Jennifer_Laughran

knows what she's looking for when she finds it!
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.andreabrownlit.com
I wrote this a long time ago, but it's still true. Basically, it's OK if your book matches in CATEGORY and TONE, but not theme. Or, CATEGORY and THEME, but not tone. Or, TONE and THEME, but not category.

http://literaticat.blogspot.com/2011/05/book-siblings-are-good-twins-can-be.html

Category = Is it YA, MG, Adult Fantasy, Literary Fiction, etc.

Tone = in this case I mean Funny/Dark - Historical/Contemporary - Literary/Commercial

Theme = in this case, basically "what the book is about" - werewolves, ballerinas, etc.

CathleenT

I write
Registered
Reaction score
More advice, please

Okay, I took the advice I was given in this thread and the one I posted around the same time in the publishing forum.

I found six betas and beta-d five books in return. One gave it to me for free, which was very kind.

I cut with what seemed like reckless abandon. Hans and Greta is now down to 129k. I know that's still high, even for fantasy, but it's certainly a whole lot more possible than it was when it was 186k. (I still think of it as fantasy because it's a fairy tale retelling, but I've been told it's historical fiction with magical realism elements. That might matter.) Still, the manuscript is a lot better now. I really thought I'd miss that stuff as I cut it, but it turned out I didn't.

But my last beta had me put stuff back in (we took some out, too, but still). So, I'm thinking in terms of the story I wrote, with non-professional editing, it's about as tight as I can get it. I realize that professional editors can probably get more out of it, and that's fine. I assume they get paid because they know what they're doing. I'm not arrogant enough to think I know everything about it. I'm sure both my book and me can get better, but I love it now.

I went to QLH and I have a kick-ass query and a synopsis. QLH rocks! Although that's a little like self-promotion because I've become a QLH critter myself. It's like going over to the Other Side.

I've gone to Querytracker and gotten a list of agents. It's not completely done, but there's something like twenty on it which should be good enough for a couple rounds.

So, uh, am I ready? I've got one last beta going through, to make sure everything flows to new eyes. But should I query now? Or is there something else I'm overlooking?

Thanks.

Last edited:

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
If you feel like the MS and query are ready to go, then I would say it's time to query.

I will add that my query list had over 200 agents on it (and I queried about 180 of them), so 20 seems a little low even for something that's not quite finished yet. However, that's a good starting number if they are all solid agents that you have no doubts about. (Some of mine were good agents, but I wasn't sure they would fit well with my MS, but I figured it never hurts to ask.)

Good luck!

:)

mayqueen

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
If it feels ready to go, I say go for it! Your query and synopsis are in shape, you've had multiple rounds of beta-reading (and done your share of critiquing!), etc, so I think you're ready to query if you feel like you are. I agree that twenty sounds very low. I would aim for fifty to one hundred, personally. And I would suggest querying in batches of five or so every week.

Good luck!!! :)

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Yes. It's fine to query now.

Do it in batches of 10 or so. Or even less, because the fewer you do, the less likely the thing is to get caught in spam filters.

Oh, and be prepared to expand your agent list.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Little Ming

Registered
Reaction score
I went to QLH and I have a kick-ass query and a synopsis. QLH rocks! Although that's a little like self-promotion because I've become a QLH critter myself. It's like going over to the Other Side.

Welcome to the Dark Other Side. :D

To echo the others: If you feel it's ready then it's ready; also, increase your list of agents.

Good luck. :)

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, thanks again, everyone. One more post on format, and then I'm ready. Yippee!

I've gone all nervous for you! Best of luck and keep us posted and all that stuff :)

heza

Registered
Reaction score
I've read, here, from time to time, that you could think about doing a "test" batch of queries. If you get more agents on your list, you can sort them into your 1st-tier, 2nd-tier, and 3rd-tier picks. You won't, of course, query any agents you wouldn't actually consider signing with—that would waste everyone's time—but you'll naturally have some agents you're more excited about (rep comparable works, have more experience, etc.).

Some people say to start at the very top of your list and work your way down, but I've seen others say you don't want to burn through all your top picks with an untested query. So those people have recommended doing a first batch to a few from each of your tiers and see what the response is. If you get a good request rate, you're good to go querying only from your top tier. If the request rate is poor, your query might need more tweaking.

It's a bit of a risk, either way. And agent Janet Reid has said there's no right way to do that—only the way you do it and then, the way you'll wish you'd have done it. ;)

In that blog post, btw, she warns authors off the whole "dream agent" mentality. It's interesting food for thought if you've managed to get your heart set on anyone in particular.

Good luck! It's always so exciting when someone starts querying.