PDA

View Full Version : Vampire Fiction

B.G. Dobbins
10-04-2014, 07:11 AM
Hello,

I recently came up with a new story idea that includes vampires. I know many people believe vampires are overdone, but are they off limits, as in would it be harmful to a story's popularity? Would you turn a story down or be tempted to simply if you knew it was based around vampires?

If not, what kind of things would you like to see in a new vampire story? What would you not want to see? I'm trying to follow a piece of advice given to me basically saying I should see what my audience wants and use that to help me when writing, but not let it dictate me at the same time.

Here's is a bit of what I'm planning:

My MC is a hunter.
Hunters are organized and dedicated to taking out threats to humankind.
Vampires and were-beasts are not innately evil, and vampires are not undead creatures. They are both species of the genus homo, just a different kind than humans. My take on them is a bit more scientific than most I believe.
A council of humans, vampires, and were-beasts exist to try to maintain peace between the species, but tension is inevitable.
A group of extremist hunters kill human members of that council and make it look like it was done by vampires and were-beasts in order to provoke hunters into war with the other species.

So what do you think? Thank you for any help and advice in advance! :)

Jack Asher
10-04-2014, 08:06 AM
Vampires seem to be one of the pillars of Urban Fantasy, which has exploded in the past decade. I wouldn't worry about writing in a genre that is making so much money.

Treehouseman
10-04-2014, 09:15 AM
Depends where you are trying to sell it, I guess. Anything is go for self-pub. I know a few small press, indie-press who will take a well written vamp manuscript.

At the moment larger publishers and agents are shying away (not never-say never, but certainly not knocking down the walls) for vampire fiction. I can't think of anything being bought or coming out...

Urban fantasy is having a quiet time at the moment.

thepicpic
10-04-2014, 10:27 AM
Just so you know, you don't need to post this both here and BWQ.

With that covered... hmm, vampires have been going for hundreds, probably thousands of years. I doubt they're going out of fashion now. Failing that, just write it. By the time you're done and ready to publish, things will probably have changed.

Blinkk
10-04-2014, 10:56 AM
I made a thread recently about vampires being overdone. I'm only speaking for myself - some other readers can't get enough of vampires.

I'd only read a vampire book if it was really good. I mean really good. I'm more interested in solid themes, strong characters, realistic character relationships, convincing dialogue, world building, moving writing etc. IMO the details that you pinpointed above are secondary to the writing itself. You could lay out the most interesting plot, but if the writing falls short I wouldn't be into it. I'd forgive most any trope if the writing was superb. For example, I strongly detest zombie stories. I don't like walking dead, I can't stand the zombie games, and the movies. Ugg. But one of my favorite books is Cell by Stephen King, which is a really twisted zombie book. Go figure. It's just because the writing is flippin awesome.

Again, just my view. Would I instantly reject a vampire book? Well, I have a strong bias with vampires right now. But if the book had crazy awesome 5 star ratings on Amazon or goodreads, or if it was suggested by people on this board I might pick up a vampire book. Aside from that, I probably wouldn't go searching for a book featuring vampires.

Again, this is only my view. There's a market for it, so other readers might go nuts for your story.

victoriakmartin
10-04-2014, 04:26 PM
As a long-time fan of vampires, I don't think they'll ever go away. The main thing is that you need to do something interesting with them - it doesn't necessarily need to be something no one has ever done before (as people in the other thread pointed out, your ideas are fairly familiar) but at least put your own spin on things.

Vampire fiction has been popular in certain circles before the current craze and will still be around after it's done.

Wilde_at_heart
10-04-2014, 06:55 PM
Write the sort of story you'd want to read.

Blinkk
10-04-2014, 09:19 PM
Write the sort of story you'd want to read.

This is great advise.

Imaginaut
10-05-2014, 11:20 PM
To the OP --

My main thought is that a vampire writer needs to do something different to really stand out in today's market, which is rather crowded with vampire novels. This doesn't need to be anything terribly original, but it needs to give your take on vampires a distinctive voice.

In your case, having your vampires and werewolves be subspecies/cousin species of humans is a pretty cool idea. If you're coming at it from a scientific perspective, though, make sure to not abandon that for a convenient mystical resolution at any point. I've seen that a few times, and it ruins the story for me.