Gracepoint

RedRajah

Special Snowflake? No. Hailstone
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
Well, saw the 1st episode...

I don't know how well I'm going to do separating and NOT comparing it to "Broadchurch". I still stand by my opinion that they should have set in in New England instead of CA though.

JohnnyGottaKeyboard

Who let this guy in...?
Registered
Reaction score
On the rooftoop where he climbed when the laughter
I really enjoyed it except I felt they tapped the "Slo-Mo=Heavy Emo-Impact" well a bit too often in the first half. No, Mr. Director, the slo-mo loses its ability to impact our emotions exponentially with each use...!
I still stand by my opinion that they should have set in in New England instead of CA though.
Haters gonna hate. :poke:

juniper

Always curious.
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know how well I'm going to do separating and NOT comparing it to "Broadchurch".

We watched it last night and husband said it seemed so similar to Broadchurch. He has a better retention of that sort of thing than me.

I was wondering if they're doing an scene-by-scene match or if it's a little different. I remember many years ago some film remake was made on a painstaking frame-by-frame match, but I don't remember what it was.

I love some David Tennant no matter what he's in, but I missed hearing his wonderful accent.

Channy

Me Gusta
Registered
Reaction score
^ Agreed. I'll watch anything with Tennant in it, though it's not the same without the accent.. ANY accent. I didn't get to finish Broadchurch though, the PVR lost a few episodes halfway in...

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
It's not scene for scene; the American version has two extra hours tacked on. And I don't understand why they had to make him American, either. They could have kept the accent and tweaked the character's backstory. Letting him retain his accent would have been a great way to establish an "outsider" mentality

I'm waiting until more episodes have aired, so I can watch them in one go, but I will say that I'm surprised this isn't set in New England. The commercials made it seem like it was - I would have guessed small-town Maine or New Hampshire.

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Watched it.

Totally enjoyed it.

It appears everyone in the town is a suspect - Makes it interesting, yet somewhat disconcerting.

00Pepper

Super Pepper
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't seen Broadchurch so I can't compare the two but I really enjoyed Gracepoint and I'm looking forward to the next 9 episodes.

Grrarrgh

Not so new, not so much a kid
Registered
Reaction score
I listened to a review of it by critics who have seen all of Broadchurch and well over half of Gracepoint, and apparently it's almost a scene for scene remake of Broadchurch until the 7th episode, when it diverges. So I think the killer will be different, though that's not confirmed, and that also explains the 2 extra hours.

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Don't know anything about Broadchurch, but DANG, this is fun - I lurve a good mystery. ;)

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
Watched the pilot and enjoyed it. Know nothing about Broadchurch, so there's that. Also, YAY, somebody heard my "Cast Jessica Lucas in more things!" cry, and answered! Very cool. Way curious about what the crap dead-boy's-BFF (not at the point where I'm retaining anyone's names yet) is up to with his computer, but I'm counting it as a plus. More mystery!

Although, we seem to be continuing the somewhat recent trend of including important information in tiny-ass text windows, the better to make Rhoda curse at the screen, press pause/rewind, and dash upstairs for her glasses. Seriously, that can stop at any time.

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I do lurve me some Michael Pena. :)

Faye-M

Registered
Reaction score
Although, we seem to be continuing the somewhat recent trend of including important information in tiny-ass text windows, the better to make Rhoda curse at the screen, press pause/rewind, and dash upstairs for her glasses. Seriously, that can stop at any time.

That drives me nuts, too. Not everyone in the world has a big-screen TV!

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
I have to say, I'm loving the phrase "brooding ass-a-holic." I'm gonna start using that in conversation.

00Pepper

Super Pepper
Registered
Reaction score
We'll be at the halfway point tonight and I'm still loving this show. And still have no clue whodunnit!

Is the killer close to home, the hiker or a someone in town? I wouldn't be surprised if it's the priest...he's creepy.

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, that Priest is so creepy, he makes my skin crawl.

Angie

Shaddup and lemme think.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tranquiligeek.com
I LOVED Broadchurch, so it's really hard to watch Gracepoint and judge it on its own merits. And David Tennant's American accent is just...disconcerting, lol!

So far the only thing that has really bugged me about Gracepoint is Nick Nolte's character. Was it really necessary to make that guy a caricature? He sounds like he gargled gravel and then filled his mouth with marbles before each scene.

And they are following the Broadchurch script fairly closely in these first few episodes. Looking forward to the divergence so I won't know what to expect anymore. ;)

juniper

Always curious.
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
So far the only thing that has really bugged me about Gracepoint is Nick Nolte's character.

Whoa - I did not recognize Nick Nolte in there. Wow. (Dating myself): I remember when he was a heart throb leading man.

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Whoa - I did not recognize Nick Nolte in there. Wow. (Dating myself): I remember when he was a heart throb leading man.

I know, right? But he still looks better than Mickey Rourke. :D

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
DANG! - Just watched episode 6 - Can this get any better???

juniper

Always curious.
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Watched the show last night then woke up about 4 am this morning to pee, and realized I was thinking about the show. So maybe I'd been dreaming about it. It's definitely got me hooked.

I really liked Broadchurch and wasn't sure about an Americanized version of it, but I like this version just as much I think.

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
DANG!

It's almost over, and I still don't have a clue as to who the killer is...

...Of course, a part of me doesn't want to know because that would mean the mystery is over, and I've been enjoying it soooo much, I don't want it to end. ;)

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The Finale...

Although my "Watch Buddy" (00Pepper) and I kinda figured it out, the finale was still gripping and amazing.

Absolutely lurved this!!!

*Runs off to order Broadchurch DVD* :D