Sleeper holds and unconsciousness

indwig

I stole your cheeseburger
Registered
Reaction score
Hello all!

Anyone ever fallen unconscious from a sleeper hold? There's plenty of info on how to apply one, or how to get out of one, but less on actually going to sleep and waking up. Does being hung upside down worsen the sensations (in context, the character's being transported in a fireman's lift)?

Thanks.

Last edited:

Trebor1415

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I was put in a sleeper hold years ago. (Long story that I'm not going to get into).

The thing I remember, is right as I started to pass out, is that I started to hallucinate for just a couple seconds before I was out. Basically, an image of an art project I was working on popped into my head and that was the last thing I remembered.

I came to within a minute, probably closer to 15 to 20 seconds.

No upside down so no help there.

Last edited:

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry to be a grammar nerd, but you guys both gave me a good chuckle.

@indwig "hanged" is the past participle of being executed by hanging. So... the sensation would not be worse, the character would be dead.

@Trebor, "I came too" sounds sexual, though it could just be arriving somewhere with someone else. The proper phrase is "came to"

indwig

I stole your cheeseburger
Registered
Reaction score
^Oh! 'Hung', right? Gonna fix it.

And thanks for your answer, Trebor. And is coming back to consciousness sort of like waking up? Like your senses come back one at a time?

Last edited:

Deb Kinnard

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
www.debkinnard.com
It is exactly like waking up. You don't come to a little at a time after fainting. It's suddenly "I'm awake--what happened?" I was a bit woozy after I fainted, and it seems to me in retrospect that I reacted more slowly to stuff that was said to me. But I wasn't half-awake at any time.

Trebor1415

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
It is exactly like waking up. You don't come to a little at a time after fainting. It's suddenly "I'm awake--what happened?" I was a bit woozy after I fainted, and it seems to me in retrospect that I reacted more slowly to stuff that was said to me. But I wasn't half-awake at any time.

Yes. this.

Viridian

local good boy
Registered
Reaction score
I've been put out very briefly a couple times.

It feels like nothing, and it's quick. He put me in the hold, and within seconds, I began to faint. It wasn't like being choked, which takes time and is painful. Being put in a sleeper hold is like... it's like a rapid fade. It's not like a light switch flipping off -- it's like lights dimming quickly. I was aware that I was fainting.

Then, briefly, nothing. Not sure how quickly I came to, but I think it was very quick. It probably would have been longer, but the guy putting me in the hold let go as soon as he noticed I had passed out. When I did wake up, I was aware of what had happened. I wasn't confused. I was very fuzzy, though, and had trouble speaking. I just wanted to lie still and wake up some more.

The second time took a little longer, but was about the same. When I came to, there was this totally bizarre taste in my mouth. It's hard to describe. It was a bit like iron. It's the taste you get when you have an adrenalin rush, like when you run hard for a long time. The taste happened both times.

I imagine being hung upside down would cause some confusion.

Just a bunch of random details. Hope it helps.

Last edited:

PeteMC

@PeteMC666
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
talonwraith.wordpress.com
Yes, it's weird. Not choking as ViridianChick says, it's restriction of blood to the brain that puts you out not restriction of air to the lungs. You just sort of go to sleep really quickly. Waking up is horrible though.

Not sure about being upside down at the time but I can't imagine it'd help!