Happy Birthday, Jimmy!

clintl

Represent.
Registered
Reaction score
Jimmy Carter turned 90 today, becoming the 6th U.S. president to reach that age (after John Adams, Hoover, Ford, Reagan, and George H. W. Bush, who had his 90th in June). Interestingly, four of the six served consecutively. We'll have to wait about 22 years to find out if Clinton and G.W. Bush can keep the streak alive.

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
Wow. I can't believe he's 90.

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Given that it's been thirty-three years since he *left* the Oval Office, it's kind of amazing that he's not older.

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
I suppose that's right. I've just never stopped to do the math. He seems younger to me.

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I thought so too. It is kind of amazing - he's still so active and outspoken. Aren't we all supposed to be reactionaries by that age? :D

Magdalen

Petulantly Penitent
Registered
Reaction score
OK. What the heck. I'd shove a quarter in his cake.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
I thought so too. It is kind of amazing - he's still so active and outspoken. Aren't we all supposed to be reactionaries by that age? :D
Hell, I got there way earlier. :D

Happy birthday, Mr. President.

Michael Wolfe

Jambo Bwana
Registered
Reaction score
Carter may not have been the best president, but I've always thought he was a fairly decent person. And I admire a lot of the work he's done in his post-presidendial years, Habitat for Humanity in particular.

Karen Junker

Live a little. Write a lot.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.CascadeWriters.com
I remember being in Kenner, LA the day he was elected. I hadn't watched TV or listened to a radio in years (hippie, living on the land, etc.) but I stopped into a Dunkin' Donuts for a coffee and heard the news on the radio -- and I realized I had been reading a book on how to grow & sell earthworms -- one of the farms you could order a starter kit from was the Carter Worm Farms, Plains, Georgia. So he was okay with me.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
Carter may not have been the best president, but I've always thought he was a fairly decent person. And I admire a lot of the work he's done in his post-presidendial years, Habitat for Humanity in particular.
This. I'd stand side-by-side with him and swing a hammer anytime. His relatively lackluster presidency had far more to do with the system than the person, IMO. Even his creation of the dual DoEs can be put down to unrealistic idealism rather than powerlust. He and Jerry Ford are the only two presidents I've felt sorry for in my lifetime.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Meh as a President, Outstanding as a human and humanitarian

Happy Birthday, sir.