US Latinos who converted to Judaism?

Littlebit66

Registered
Reaction score
Hello! This morning I decided to scrap the story I was originally working on (it was too complicated) and now I'm working on a new story. The plot is set in today's times in Chicago about a young Mexican American college student who falls deeply in love with a young Jewish American college student and decides to convert to Judaism in order to marry her. The conflict would be about his dealing with his feelings about what it would mean to be Latino and Jewish, such as giving up beloved family customs like Christmas posadas, will his life be very different if he's Jewish, how do you meld both cultures in a new identity. I'd like to make the story sweet and mildly humorous. The story would start when they 1st meet in college when they're sophomores then end when they're getting married 5 years later.

There's lots of material on the internet about how to convert to Judaism and about the history of Mexican Jews (Jews living in Mexico) but not much about Latinos converting to Judaism and what that's like. Can anyone recommend any books or webpages about the experiences of American Latinos converting to Judaism?

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
It's not quite the same, but have you done any research on the "secret Jews" of [New] Mexico? Maybe some relevant tidbits for you there.

King Neptune

Banned
Reaction score
There were secret Jews in many Spanish colonies, but nearly all of those families converted to Christianity a long time ago. Tying that into a modern romance might be interesting.

snafu1056

Registered
Reaction score
Those are called Sephardic Jews, arent they? I knew a Hispanic Jew, but I never asked much about his religion.

King Neptune

Banned
Reaction score
Those are called Sephardic Jews, arent they? I knew a Hispanic Jew, but I never asked much about his religion.

They are Sephardic Jews, but that term refers to their places of origin.

The official definition of Sephardic according to Rabbi Marc Angel of Sephardic House, is "almost any Jew who is not Ashkenazi. Although there are wide cultural divergences within the Sephardic world, common liturgy and religious customs constitute underlying factors of unity."
http://www.jewishgen.org/Sephardic/sephardic_roffe.HTM

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
The "secret" Jews are Spanish Jews who long ago officially converted to Christianity, but retained Jewish traditions and practices in secret (so secret, sometimes, they didn't necessarily remember they were Jewish things, just family customs that no one outside the family was ever to know about...). There's some debate whether this actually ever happened in fact.

"Sephardic" includes many Jews who were originally Spanish but fled elsewhere after 1492 (many to the Netherlands, or to the Ottoman Empire). It also includes other non-Ashkenazic Jewish groups who were not necessarily part of the Spanish diaspora but are culturally closer to that branch of practice. The language of the Spanish Jews was Ladino -- it's a dialect of Spanish with some Hebrew influences, just as Yiddish is a dialect of German.

Last edited:

Littlebit66

Registered
Reaction score

Hi Karen, thanks for the links, the second link was the same one I found earlier doing research. I found another link about a rabbi in California who said that Latinos are the largest ethnic group to convert, followed by Asians, with African Americans being the smallest. I figure I can send him an email for additional questions.

Thank you everybody for your help!

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
I Googled Jewish Latinos and came up with a treasure trove. Consider the religious background of thr character carefully. Some of the issues will come from what his beliefs were. Others will come from how common this is in their region of the country. It sounds like CA may have a community. There is plenty of literature on interfaith marriages. Some may involve Latinos. (Many who marry Jews do not convert. All four of my grandparents' grandchildren married out of the faith - only one spouse converted in.)