Oh shit. Advice needed. One of my daughter's friends committed suicide.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Just wanting to know, from your collective experience or intuition, what are good ways to handle this.

I just received word that one of my daughter's friends committed suicide last night. She doesn't know yet. I imagine the school will tell them at some point during the day.

The girl was fifteen years old. She and my daughter were friends.

Any wisdom to offer?

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Jamie, I'm so sorry. I don't have any advice, just a lot of sympathy for you and your daughter right now.

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
And I went to a suicide survivor support group for the first time last night.

I don't know anything about how to handle the situation with your daughter, what to say to her, etc.

But I do know a lot about being the person left behind from a suicide, though the situation was very different. (I lost my mom when I was 25.)

I guess all I can say is...be non-judgmental. Both wrt to what her friend did, and your daughter's emotions. My understanding is that guilt, anger and why?? are common reactions, but I felt little of that. Everyone is different.

/best wishes

Last edited:

Wilde_at_heart

υπείκωphobe
Registered
Reaction score
When I was around that age I had a friend attempt suicide - fortunately she managed to get a hold of someone before it was too late and never tried again. However, that 'what if' remained.

One thing to anticipate is, depending on how good a friend this was, is if your daughter starts thinking she could have done something to prevent it somehow. Maybe called more often, not declined some favour in that past, that sort of thing ... It depends on the child too; some need their space or alone time to work things through first and then might need someone to pull things from them, while others need to talk it out (and might not be able to articulate it).
If she's not familiar with mental illness and all that entails, this might (gradually, of course) be the time to introduce such topics. Good luck & best wishes...
ETA: as far as I know, schools tend to have counselors that come on site for when such a thing happens too.

Last edited:

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
I'm so sorry Jamie, for you, your daughter, and her friend's family. :( Be there for her, listen to her, and give her the support she needs while she heals. Maybe look up a local grief counselor and give them a call or set up an appointment. A good one can do a lot to help understand and heal in a time like this.

:Hug2: for you and her.

Forbidden Snowflake

I'm quite put out.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vinjii.ch
I hope the school has counsellors available.

I'm sorry this happened.

Make sure your daughter knows you're always available to talk. Be on the lookout for things like her blaming herself for not having been able to help her friend.

"What if" questions are a terrible thing. What if I had picked up the phone. What if I had invited her over? Etc.

I hope she understands that she has no blame whatsoever and if she does blame herself I hope you or a counsellor can help her understand that.

Namatu

Lost in mental space.
Registered
Reaction score
That's awful. I have no advice, but you are wise and have a good relationship with your girls and are no doubt researching ways to be supportive beyond the advice you may receive here. Big hugs.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
From what I know so far, Julia was more friends with the girl's twin brother.

When I was 14, one our school friends died. Freak thing. Aneurysm. I just remember it kicking off a very bleak mood that came in waves for a very long time.

It's so strange. Thirteen hours ago, the girl was posting on Facebook, seemingly happy as could be.

c.e.lawson

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, no - she has a twin brother? I'm so sorry for you. As a twin myself, I can't even imagine...I would think your daughter will not only have to deal with her own grief, but with the twin's response to this tragedy. Your daughter will probably need some help on both sides of this. It's very hard for a friend to know what to say or do, and for her to protect herself while trying to be there for a grieving friend. Especially for a teen where they are trying to figure life and themselves out. This is complicated stuff where a professional could help. And of course you being there and continually reminding her you're there for her whether or not she seems willing to talk. Your presence in her life, really being there, is crucial. But of course it's obvious you're a connected mom and I didn't even need to say that. Will keep you all in my thoughts and prayers.

Last edited:

Sheryl Nantus

Holding out for a Superhero...
Registered
Reaction score
Brownsville, Pennsylvania. Or New Babbage, Second
Website
www.sherylnantus.com
My ex-fiance committed suicide so I know a bit of what she'll be experiencing.

If you have a spiritual adviser it might be helpful for her to figure out the where's and why's... depending on how religious she/you are it might be very good.

Please reassure your daughter that there is nothing she could have done. I've spent years wondering if I had returned his last phone call if I could have stopped him from taking his life.

She'll feel responsible because everyone wants to think there's some way this disaster could be avoided. But it's hard to realize that maybe, just maybe... it couldn't be.

Give her a hug for me. And order in dinner.

juniper

Always curious.
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry to hear this - your daughter will feel the loss of the girl and also the anguish of the girl's twin brother. A sad situation all around. You've said before you have a good relationship with your daughter and I hope she'll turn to you for comfort. :Hug2:

She'll feel responsible because everyone wants to think there's some way this disaster could be avoided. But it's hard to realize that maybe, just maybe... it couldn't be.

Yes - it's hard for others to realize but if someone is determined on that path, it can be very difficult to change their minds. The "what if" and the guilt can linger. I hope she'll be able to understand that at some point.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

How very sad! Sending prayers. Please PM me the name and we will chant for her.

Just be there for your daughter. And if she hasn't already heard at school, tell her.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Yes - it's hard for others to realize but if someone is determined on that path, it can be very difficult to change their minds. The "what if" and the guilt can linger. I hope she'll be able to understand that at some point.

I shouldn't fixate, but it's the nature of me. Of course, I don't know much about this girl's life, but I looked her up. Last night at 9:30, she was happily chatting with Facebook friends, talking about tv shows and posting funny pictures from that day in school. She had been cuddled up, in the arms of a silly friendly group of drama students in a picture from --- yesterday.

I kept looking through the feed. She had many interests and a responsive group of friends. Her posts were funny and upbeat, a bit of girl power here and there, but no whiff of desperation or melancholy. She did the ice-bucket challenge a few weeks ago. I scrolled down and down and there are no sad or cryptic posts. There are no check-ins with friends to see "if you're okay". Rarely did more than a day or two go by without a status update.

This is just not what we're told to expect to see in depression. It's very hard to process. It's so sad.

Ugh. I haven't talked to my daughter yet. I won't see her for another few hours. This is crazy.

Last edited:

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Take your cues from her. You'll know exactly what to say and what to do. You're her mom. Nobody else will be able to help her through this as well as you can. You'll do just fine.

asroc

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
I'm really sorry, JM.

I don't have any experiences from my personal life to share, but professionally I've occasionally met the next of kin of people who committed or attempted suicide. For many of them it came completely out of nowhere. Sometimes there are no signs that anyone could have noticed. Sometimes suicidal ideation is silent.

Just make sure your daughter knows you're there when she needs you. And if she needs time, let her have it. That's about all the advice I can offer.

Mclesh

It's too hot
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.storyrhyme.com
I don't have anything to add that hasn't already been said, but I am so sorry to read this. Heartbreaking.

My son dealt with the death of a classmate (cancer) and a beloved school custodian (heart attack) within a week of each other. That was last January. He attended the funerals and was able to pay his respects. My husband and I just tried to make ourselves available to him to talk when he felt like talking but not push too much. He needed to be able to process his grief and sadness.

My heart goes out to you and your daughter and to all affected by the loss of this child.

Godyth

Crusader Rabbit is my hero.
Registered
Reaction score
Ugh. I haven't talked to my daughter yet. I won't see her for another few hours. This is crazy.
My automatic reaction would be to sccop her up and take her home, but as a high school teacher I know that kids often need to spend time together commiserating and comforting each other; they need to hug and cry and be sad together.
Teenagers take time to process this sort of event; it's horrific even for adults to comprehend. Know that she could be dealing with this for some time and it might sneak up on you in a few weeks or a few months.
If the school doesn't provide extensive counseling beyond the first few days, you might seek grief counseling for her, as has been suggested. Maybe in small groups with her close friends, so that they work through it together over time.
It's sad that an outwardly happy teen felt the need to step into the eternal dark. I guess teenagers don't come with warning labels all of the time, so we all need to be as vigilant as we can be on their behalf.

Chasing the Horizon

Blowing in the Wind
Registered
Reaction score
I shouldn't fixate, but it's the nature of me. Of course, I don't know much about this girl's life, but I looked her up. Last night at 9:30, she was happily chatting with Facebook friends, talking about tv shows and posting funny pictures from that day in school. She had been cuddled up, in the arms of a silly friendly group of drama students in a picture from --- yesterday.

I kept looking through the feed. She had many interests and a responsive group of friends. Her posts were funny and upbeat, a bit of girl power here and there, but no whiff of desperation or melancholy. She did the ice-bucket challenge a few weeks ago. I scrolled down and down and there are no sad or cryptic posts. There are no check-ins with friends to see "if you're okay". Rarely did more than a day or two go by without a status update.

This is just not what we're told to expect to see in depression. It's very hard to process. It's so sad.
My friend who committed suicide was hanging out on Skype and laughing with a group of us less than two hours before she did it. There was not the slightest sign that anything was wrong. I think it happens that way a lot.

I think one of the most important things you can let your daughter know is that there's no 'right' way to react or feel. There were times after my friend's death when I felt very judged for my lack of reaction, when the fact was that we just weren't that close. I liked her fine, but she was a very small part of my life, so my reaction was small as well.

The really difficult and traumatizing part of it, which sounds like something your daughter will also have to deal with, was the grief of the people who had been very close with the woman who died. Their suffering was extremely draining to cope with day after day. If your daughter has access to a grief counselor, I'd encourage her to get advice on this aspect, both how best to help those around her (especially the twin brother) and how to maintain a healthy emotional distance so she doesn't get depressed herself. She needs to really know that she has the right to maintain boundaries for her own health, and that doing so doesn't make her selfish or a bad friend.

I think the thing that made it relatively easy for me to cope with my friend's death, other than us only being casual friends, was that I accepted her decision to end her life. I view it as her choice. She knew she had a very supportive group of friends and family and could've asked for help if that was what she wanted. She obviously didn't want it. In fact, she went out of her way to make absolutely sure no one knew anything was wrong. So that was her choice and no one else holds any blame or responsibility for it.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score

Obviously no one but her knows what was going on in her head, but there are things that are kind of particular to suicide and also to teens, that can explain some of that.

She could have, of course, been depressed but hiding it.

She could have been actually quite upbeat - sometimes people decide to commit suicide and become relived and upbeat that they've figured out what to do, found a 'solution' to what they see as their problems, see an end in sight, etc.

She could have seen suicide not from a depressed perspective, but from an angry/retaliatory/combative one - 'I'll show [whomever], hah!' The kind of thinking that leads people to fantasize about how satisfying it'll be to see the person or people they're focusing on upset at the funeral, or foiled in their attempt to whatever.

I think the best thing you can do with your daughter is listen - create opportunities for her to talk about it, without asking too much or guiding too much at first, and let her speak (or maybe not at first). Then you can see what she's thinking and feeling and go from there.

Where/when does she like to really talk to you? In the car? Cooking? While you're trying to work (heh)? Set up that opportunity without being obvious and leave as many openings as possible to let her talk?

Aerial

There is no spoon.
Registered
Reaction score
Just wanting to know, from your collective experience or intuition, what are good ways to handle this.

I just received word that one of my daughter's friends committed suicide last night. She doesn't know yet. I imagine the school will tell them at some point during the day.

The girl was fifteen years old. She and my daughter were friends.

Any wisdom to offer?

The only advice I have to offer is this: You can't fix this for your daughter, so don't try. Just be there for her, sit next to her, grieve with her.

Aerial

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have thoughts, but no answers. But I care, and I know your daughter is, as always, in good hands with you.

C.bronco

I have plans...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cynthia-bronco.blogspot.com
My automatic reaction would be to sccop her up and take her home, but as a high school teacher I know that kids often need to spend time together commiserating and comforting each other; they need to hug and cry and be sad together.
Teenagers take time to process this sort of event; it's horrific even for adults to comprehend. Know that she could be dealing with this for some time and it might sneak up on you in a few weeks or a few months.
If the school doesn't provide extensive counseling beyond the first few days, you might seek grief counseling for her, as has been suggested. Maybe in small groups with her close friends, so that they work through it together over time.
It's sad that an outwardly happy teen felt the need to step into the eternal dark. I guess teenagers don't come with warning labels all of the time, so we all need to be as vigilant as we can be on their behalf.

It is true, but on the day a tragedy happens, they all end up going home as soon as the parents hear. Keep her home and talk to her about it.