• Verizon Wireless

Votes: 12 29.3%
  • Cingular

Votes: 10 24.4%
  • Sprint/Nextel

Votes: 4 9.8%
  • T-Mobile

Votes: 4 9.8%
  • Regional Carrier (like US Cellular, Alltel, Suncom etc)

Votes: 6 14.6%
  • Non US carrier

Votes: 5 12.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

OneTeam OneDream

Been a long time...
Registered
Reaction score
Who is your cell phone service through? I've listed the major US carriers, so if you have a regional carrier (ex; US Cellular, Alltel) or are using a non-US carrier, please list them.

Just curious. I happen to Manage one of them....

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Hmm. Actually, I think I'll decline to answer. I do wonder why the thread, though? Simple professional curiosity?

Last edited:

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
I hadn't realized there were so few big cell companies. That's sort of...troubling. Cingular gobbled up AT&T a year or so ago, I know--but dang!

OneTeam OneDream

Been a long time...
Registered
Reaction score
MacAllister said:
I hadn't realized there were so few big cell companies. That's sort of...troubling. Cingular gobbled up AT&T a year or so ago, I know--but dang!

What's even more troubling this the fact that they broke up Ma' Bell and now she is slowly but surely getting back together.

BTW Cingular gobbling up AT&T is very quickly going down as the dumbest move in telecommunications history. (As I predicted when I was one of the "gobbled"

cool_st_elizabeth

Last person who isn't on Facebook
Registered
Reaction score
Mine is a prepaid cell through Virgin Mobile USA. I don't use it much. I pay $20 every three months.

reph

Fig of authority
Registered
Reaction score
cool_st_elizabeth said:
Mine is a prepaid cell through Virgin Mobile USA. I don't use it much. I pay $20 every three months.
That's the kind of deal I looked for and couldn't find. All the plans make you pay $40 a month whether you use the thing or not. Being home most of the time, I wouldn't have much use for a cell phone, but it'd be good to have one for emergencies.

WerenCole

Funny what? Do I amuse you?
Registered
Reaction score
Verizon. . .

My current WIP is a short story called "Celluar Devolution" where a guy renounces his cell and his world goes to hell in a handbasket. . .

I hate my cell phone. . . .necessary evil

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
I have Alltel and it's okay. I had a Nextel for two years and really liked it but it didn't have great coverage in the area...so when my contract was up, I switched. Three months later they put up a new tower and now have the best coverage in the area!

I miss my Nextel! <sniff, sniff>

DamaNegra

Mexican on the loose!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fictionpress.com
MacAllister said:

Here in Mexico the main cell phone companies are Telcel, Movistar, Iusacell and Unefon. Well, Iusacell is not that big, now that I think of it. I'm with Telcel though, but maybe not for long.

ETA: And I don't think there are regional companies at all.

Danger Jane

Registered
Reaction score
Verizon. Nothing else gets reception around Boston, which is great because Verizon has more expensive plans. Love when the unlucky kid whose parents fell for Cingular's cheap deals can't get reception ANYWHERE in town.

OneTeam OneDream

Been a long time...
Registered
Reaction score
Mdlle. Nancy said:
Verizon. Nothing else gets reception around Boston, which is great because Verizon has more expensive plans. Love when the unlucky kid whose parents fell for Cingular's cheap deals can't get reception ANYWHERE in town.

Verizon and Cingular's plan prices are almost exactly identical. T-Mobile is the cheaper one.

Danger Jane

Registered
Reaction score
OneTeam OneDream said:
Verizon and Cingular's plan prices are almost exactly identical. T-Mobile is the cheaper one.

In that case....that's just pathetic. Cingular has virtually no reception around here.

tjwriter

Emerging Anew
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidscoffeechaos.wordpress.com
Cingular is the only company to get decent reception in my town. I had other plans but that required me going outside or leaning in some awkward angle towards a window to talk on my phone. Then again, I live in a hole (it sits below the surrounding area on all sides).

OneTeam OneDream

Been a long time...
Registered
Reaction score
tjwriter said:
Cingular is the only company to get decent reception in my town. I had other plans but that required me going outside or leaning in some awkward angle towards a window to talk on my phone. Then again, I live in a hole (it sits below the surrounding area on all sides).

And you've tried EVERYONE?

OneTeam OneDream

Been a long time...
Registered
Reaction score
Shadow_Ferret said:
I thought the Sprint/Nextel one was the dumbest.

No, that one just didn't make any sense. They have two totally different network technologies, so it just made so much work for them from the beginning. To put that in perspective, it made about as much sense as if Verizon or Sprint would have bought AT&T, Cingluar or T-Mob. Fortunately for them, they have managed to have some sense of damage control and haven't done half bad. Don't get me wrong, they haven't done a great job, but they get a "C+" to Cingular's "D-" as far as the merger/buyouts are concerned.

Last edited:

tjwriter

Emerging Anew
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidscoffeechaos.wordpress.com
OneTeam OneDream said:
And you've tried EVERYONE?

That's the thing. My friends all have different providers and they get crap reception. Cingular has a deal with a tower right across the state line that nobody else gets to use as far as I know. Walk into any store and mention my town name and the people will straight up tell you that no, their phones won't work there.

OneTeam OneDream

Been a long time...
Registered
Reaction score
tjwriter said:
That's the thing. My friends all have different providers and they get crap reception. Cingular has a deal with a tower right across the state line that nobody else gets to use as far as I know. Walk into any store and mention my town name and the people will straight up tell you that no, their phones won't work there.

Well, you definitely know your area better than I do, I'm sorry to hear you don't have more choices. That is definitely unusual that Cingular is the only game in town. I hope one of the other three carriers steps up their game in your area.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
OneTeam OneDream said:
No, that one just didn't make any sense. They have two totally different network technologies, so it just made so much work for them from the beginning. To put that in perspective, it made about as much sense as if Verizon or Sprint would have bought AT&T, Cingluar or T-Mob. Fortunately for them, they have managed to have some sense of damage control and haven't done half bad. Don't get me wrong, they haven't done a great job, but they get a "C+" to Cingular's "D-" as far as the merger/buyouts are concerned.

That was what I was meaning. Two different technologies trying to merge.

Not sure why you're down on the Cingular/ATT one. I've had Cingular and have absolutely no problems with them.

Sprint was garbage. Couldn't get reception inside buildings. Would cut out half the time. Absolute garbage. And their customer service was non-existent. They basically handed us the phone and that was the last we heard from them. We had the phone 10 months before we learned you could lock the keypad.

Last edited:

Optimus

Banned
Reaction score
I had SunCom way back in the day. I only got it because there was a hot chick working there (we eventually dated). I kept SunCom until they (regionally) got "gobbled up" by AT&T.

AT&T Wireless sucked donkey balls, so I switched to T-Mobile. I also did that because there was a hot chick working there (we eventually had sex, not dated).

I really liked T-Mobile's plans (my last one was 1500 minutes, free nights/weekends, unlimited texting for $49.99 a month), but I couldn't get any reception in many of the areas that were supposedly "full coverage" on the map.

Now, I'm with Verizon, which is more expensive, but have had little, if any, reception problems. Only oddity is that in one section of podunk Alabama where I did get reception with T-Mobile (I have to drive through Alabama to get from home in TN to school in FL), I don't get any reception at all with Verizon. It's only a stretch of about 5 miles, but it's still weird.

Anyway, Verizon = Good but expensive.

T-Mobile = Cheap but sucks.

Wireless phone sales girls = hot and fun.

;)

Status
Not open for further replies.