Any fans of the Writing Excuses podcast?

Status
Not open for further replies.

victoriakmartin

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriakmartin.com
I've recently discovered the wonders of podcasts and one of my favourites so far is Writing Excuses. I think it really is an ideal podcast because it is short and to the point and very informative.

I thought if anyone else was listening to it, it might be nice to discuss the new episodes or something. I really liked the most recent one, on royalties, though I did know a lot of that part already from a college program I took on book publishing when I was trying to get into the business.

JustSarah

Registered
Reaction score
Website
about.me
I used to listen to it quite a bit when I wasn't quite sure how to start novella writing. I usually save it for an occasional treat.

I'm not sure if I agree with one of the latest episodes. It's extremely important to me for the critiquer to read in the genre that your wanting to write. There is nothing more frustrating than explaining to someone what brain-uploading is to a pure medieval fantasy writer, and vice versa.

Of course I'm in a tricky position myself, as I don't do explicitly fantasy or Sf sometimes. This creates weird problems in find crit partners in other genres too. Particular if they read mostly contemporary.

But I really enjoy a lot of their episodes.

Last edited:

MatthewHJonesAuthor

A Desperado in Search of A Murderer
Registered
Reaction score
I seem to be the same. I listen every week. However, because they're so short, the subjects they cover are more of an overview. Plenty of times, they've exposed me to things I hadn't heard about, but Writing Excuses is a jumping-off point.

Love the show. though.

KateJJ

coffee and pistols at dawn
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah I started listening back when I got serious about writing. Binged on about 4 years of episodes with my husband and then talked about them. It got us the vocabulary we needed to become collaborators.

Went to their retreat last year which was amazing, came out of that with an amazing crit group and greatly increased writing success.

I always recommend the podcast to writers I know who are struggling to go from dabbler to more serious. There are a lot of concepts that they introduce that you might not pick up other places. Lots of people don't learn as well from books, so a podcast can be a great tool.

LOTLOF

Registered
Reaction score
I listen to them every week. There's something reassuring about hearing successful writers complain about the same things I have to deal with.

Plus Howard gives the best writing prompts.

Status
Not open for further replies.