PDA

View Full Version : "Stood up" or just "stood"

Lee G.
03-25-2006, 02:46 AM
I'm curious if "stood up" is considered by grammatarians to be good English, or is it just a redundant colloquialism? When I write I often find myself wanting to write "stood up," because I hear it said that way (maybe it's just a Southern thing, who knows?) However, it often looks a little funny staring back at me in black and white. Any opinions?

maestrowork
03-25-2006, 03:02 AM
"Stand up" implies someone is sitting or crouching, then stands "up." But "stand" could work, too. "Stand" alone means the person just stands, as opposed to siting or crouching.

Mary asked him to stand [up].

Mary asked him to stand up from where he was sitting.

Mary asked him to stand over there.

trumancoyote
03-25-2006, 03:09 AM
It can be redundant, I think, but sometimes the extra syllable can be used for rhythm.

Tish Davidson
03-25-2006, 04:03 AM
To me stood and stood up have totally different meanings.

He stood and extended his hand. (He got up from a sitting position and began the act of shaking hands.)

He stood up to her angry rant. (He refused to back down.)

The charges stood up in court. (They were verified as valid.)

[casual/slang] She was stood up by her date. (The date never showed up)

trumancoyote
03-25-2006, 04:29 AM
You're speaking of two different usages for the word.

Torin
03-25-2006, 05:08 PM
First, "stood up" is perfectly good grammar.

The difference between "stood up" and "stood", to me, is action. "He stood in the doorway." vs "He stood up and stared at Marie." The second implies he had been sitting and shows action as he gets to his feet. The first suggest he could have been lurking in the doorway without moving for some time.

trumancoyote
03-26-2006, 12:58 PM
Oi.

He stood from his seat to greet her.

He stood up from his seat to greet her.

These are apt examples.