• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Beta Reader Needed for YA Fantasy

Status
Not open for further replies.

J. Anne Bradshaw

Registered
Reaction score
Hello all! I'm currently looking for a beta reader for my 130k word YA Fantasy. The basic idea is that it is a re-imagined princess fairy tale--you've got four princess heroines, magic powers, a prophesy, a band of rebels, swordfighting, all that good stuff. The only problem is, there's no promise of a happily ever after.

My ideal beta reader would be able to give me advice on how well my characters are developed and how the pacing seems. It doesn't need to be line-by-line, but I'd prefer a fairly thorough review.

Let me know if you're interested, and I look forward to hearing from you!

authorMAF

Registered
Reaction score
Website
authormaf.com
Hello all! I'm currently looking for a beta reader for my 130k word YA Fantasy. The basic idea is that it is a re-imagined princess fairy tale--you've got four princess heroines, magic powers, a prophesy, a band of rebels, swordfighting, all that good stuff. The only problem is, there's no promise of a happily ever after.

My ideal beta reader would be able to give me advice on how well my characters are developed and how the pacing seems. It doesn't need to be line-by-line, but I'd prefer a fairly thorough review.

Let me know if you're interested, and I look forward to hearing from you!

Is this your first manuscript? Have you been published before?If not, I'll be honest and say that at 130K you're going to have a lot of trouble getting your MS published. I had a fantasy YA novel at 127K and had to cut it down to about 80K to have any chances (from what a lot of people told me on this forum, as well as publishers and agents)

So, just thought I'd let you know :)

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
Yeah, the wordcount seems a little steep -- 70--80k's about standard for YA, maybe 100k tops for your average YA fantasy. One agent suggests the sweet spot is 65--85k for YA fantasy, which sounds about right to me, and she's got stats to support it.

But with four major POV characters doing some exciting sounding stuff, it sounds like J.'s making good use of all those extra words. I'd read it if I wasn't already backlogged -- it sounds like a great little story.

I would suggest putting your first chapter or two up in Share Your Work and linking to it, though -- it can be a good way to let prospective beta readers sample your style, and if you do have any wordiness issues the SYW crew will spot the problem in no time.

J. Anne Bradshaw

Registered
Reaction score
Is this your first manuscript? Have you been published before?If not, I'll be honest and say that at 130K you're going to have a lot of trouble getting your MS published. I had a fantasy YA novel at 127K and had to cut it down to about 80K to have any chances (from what a lot of people told me on this forum, as well as publishers and agents)

So, just thought I'd let you know :)

Hello! This is my first manuscript, though I am well aware of the fact that it is a little on the long side. I'm trying to edit it down right now, but that is part of why I need a beta reader. It's just so hard to part with your own work sometimes, you know? I'd like an objective opinion to help me decide what should end up on the cutting room floor.

Thank you for your advice!

J. Anne Bradshaw

Registered
Reaction score
I would suggest putting your first chapter or two up in Share Your Work and linking to it, though -- it can be a good way to let prospective beta readers sample your style, and if you do have any wordiness issues the SYW crew will spot the problem in no time.

Thank you for the advice, I will definitely do that when I get the chance!

Status
Not open for further replies.