PDA

View Full Version : Sci-Fi Story Competition---Sci-Fest Los Angeles

Sci-FestLA
09-28-2014, 05:57 AM
Hello, AW Community, I'm writing on behalf of our unique theatre festival here in Los Angeles, Sci-Fest, which, as the name implies, is focused on sci-fi-related work.

After a very successful inaugural festival, we are excited to add a short story competition for our second year and hope that you might consider submitting and/or passing along our "flyer" below to anyone you know who might be interested.

Your help is much appreciated!

Jonathan Gibson

THE ROSWELL AWARD FOR SHORT FICTION
Presented by Sci-Fest LA
(FOR ADULT WRITERS OVER THE AGE OF 18)

SCI-FEST LA: The Los Angeles Science Fiction One-Act Play Festival is happy to announce the launch our new short story writing contest for adult writers over the age of 18 called THE ROSWELL AWARD. All submissions must be short stories (not plays), must be an original work of science fiction (not fan fiction) and must be no longer than 1500 words. The contest is open to U.S. writers as well as writers outside the U.S. Five finalists will be chosen and their stories will be read aloud by professional actors associated with iconic Sci-Fi TV shows in a special awards ceremony to be held at the festival on May 23, 2015 at 7:00 PM (Memorial Day Weekend). The winner of THE ROSEWELL AWARD FOR SHORT FICTION will receive a donated cash prize of $1,000.00. All stories submitted must be typed in English and must have the contestant’s name, email address and phone number clearly typed on the title page. All entries must be submitted electronically via the website. Entries longer than 1500 words will be disqualified. See terms and conditions for submitting at the website. The deadline for submissions is January 15th, 2015. Submit stories at www.sci-fest.com Finalists will be notified by March 15th, 2015. Sci-Fest LA is produced by Michael Blaha, Lee Costello and David Dean Bottrell (“Boston Legal”).

BethanyCM
10-20-2014, 12:10 PM
I'm so excited about this and the play festival! Submitted a story and am working on my one act submission. :)

bladestalker
10-21-2014, 08:18 PM
isn't the one act only open for students in the area?

BethanyCM
10-21-2014, 11:16 PM
I believe you're confusing the Tomorrow Prize for Short fiction with the One Act Festival, which are both put on by Sci-Fest.

kdaniel171
11-27-2014, 02:24 PM
Hey, thank you so much for such a wonderful information. I will surely submit mine as I am about to write my sci-fi story and I hope I could win the award.

DonAtreides
12-16-2014, 02:40 AM
Thanks for this. I've written up my submission. I'll give it another once-over and send it in! I made it under the word count by 7 words. :) It's surprisingly difficult to develop a story in such as small space.

sabindanjoup
12-16-2014, 12:18 PM
Hello, AW Community, I'm writing on behalf of our unique theatre festival here in Los Angeles, Sci-Fest, which, as the name implies, is focused on sci-fi-related work.

After a very successful inaugural festival, we are excited to add a short story competition for our second year and hope that you might consider submitting and/or passing along our "flyer" below to anyone you know who might be interested.

Your help is much appreciated!

Jonathan Gibson

THE ROSWELL AWARD FOR SHORT FICTION
Presented by Sci-Fest LA
(FOR ADULT WRITERS OVER THE AGE OF 18)

SCI-FEST LA: The Los Angeles Science Fiction One-Act Play Festival is happy to announce the launch our new short story writing contest for adult writers over the age of 18 called THE ROSWELL AWARD. All submissions must be short stories (not plays), must be an original work of science fiction (not fan fiction) and must be no longer than 1500 words. The contest is open to U.S. writers as well as writers outside the U.S. Five finalists will be chosen and their stories will be read aloud by professional actors associated with iconic Sci-Fi TV shows in a special awards ceremony to be held at the festival on May 23, 2015 at 7:00 PM (Memorial Day Weekend). The winner of THE ROSEWELL AWARD FOR SHORT FICTION will receive a donated cash prize of $1,000.00. All stories submitted must be typed in English and must have the contestant’s name, email address and phone number clearly typed on the title page. All entries must be submitted electronically via the website. Entries longer than 1500 words will be disqualified. See terms and conditions for submitting at the website. The deadline for submissions is January 15th, 2015. Submit stories at www.sci-fest.com (http://www.sci-fest.com) Finalists will be notified by March 15th, 2015. Sci-Fest LA is produced by Michael Blaha, Lee Costello and David Dean Bottrell (“Boston Legal”).

Thanks for posting this.
I was reading the contest rules on the website, where I found the following:

3. On or before, March 15, 2015, the Contest will choose five Stories to be Finalists. Each Applicant whose Story is chosen as one of the five Finalists will be notified via the e-mail address provided to the Contest of such decision. Upon the Finalist’s execution of the necessary performance license, the five Finalists’ Stories will be read aloud by professional actors associated with iconic Sci-Fi TV shows during a special awards ceremony to be held in May, 2015 at Sci-Fest LA:
6. Each Applicant hereby grants the Contest the non-exclusive right, for a period of one year from the date of Applicant’s submission of a Story, to forward the Story to one or more third party production companies, networks, or studios (“Producers”) to permit such Producers to evaluate the Story for possible acquisition by them for development as a motion picture, television, or other media project (“Production”). In the event such a Producer wishes to contact an Applicant to attempt to negotiate acquisition of said rights in an Applicant’s Story, Applicant further authorizes the Contest to provide Applicant’s e-mail address (or other contact information supplied by Applicant) for that purpose.
Thanks for letting us know about the competition. :)

It's great the contest is not charging an entry fee.

From what I understand, by submitting, an author is granting the organizers the right to send the story to Producers for "evaluation". Should someone like the story, they will be given the author's contact details.
I'd like to know what other rights are being granted in the process?
Is the author giving away first publication rights?
Does granting the "performance license" mean losing audio rights?
For example, Writers of the Future (http://www.writersofthefuture.com/enter-writer-contest/) makes it clear on their website, "Entrants retain all publication rights."

Thanks again.