Are reading and writing (penmanship, not creative writing) two separate disciplines?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
I'm very confused. I just finished a novel where the main character can read - as in Shakespeare and the Brontë sisters and volumes in French - but much is made of the fact that she never learned to write. It's a plot point in fact. A Dear John letter that is purported to be from her is proved a fraud because she doesn't know how to write.

Is this weird? It seems to me that if you can read complicated passages, in fact devour the classics over years and years of study, you'd be able to train your hand to imitate the marks, even without classroom instruction of penmanship.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm very confused. I just finished a novel where the main character can read - as in Shakespeare and the Brontë sisters and volumes in French - but much is made of the fact that she never learned to write. It's a plot point in fact. A Dear John letter that is purported to be from her is proved a fraud because she doesn't know how to write.

Is this weird? It seems to me that if you can read complicated passages, in fact devour the classics over years and years of study, you'd be able to train your hand to imitate the marks, even without classroom instruction of penmanship.
I don't think it's too odd. You do need somebody to teach you how to read; they can help you learn the sounds of the letters and how to connect them to correctly pronounce the words on the page. I learned how to read before I was taught how to write; I knew the alphabet and the sounds before I was trained how to trace the letters on the paper then write them independently off the tracing diagrams, onto the lined paper to copy them. Not knowing the full story, however, I'm not sure why she wasn't taught or didn't learn how to write. If necessary, she probably could have learned by copying the shapes of the letters in her books.

nealraisman

tenured at Mammon U
Registered
Reaction score
Reading and writing actually are separate skills though they seem to be interrelated. It is possible to read but not write I suppose but not write and not read. I would have to say that unless the character has a neuro dysfunction, they would likely read and write.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score

Although related, they are definitely different skills.

This is probably most apparent in Asian countries with complicated scripts like hanzi and kanji.

In Japan, with modern technologies making writing by hand more rare, it's becoming more and more common to be able to read a kanji but not be able to write it.

I can certainly read much more Japanese than I can write.

If you try to learn a language with a completely different script, it quickly becomes apparent how reading and writing are separate skills.

Osulagh

Independent fluffy puppy.
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, but it's all encompassed by the language.

If someone has never practiced writing, then it'll be extremely difficult for them to do so. This is just a part of application and practice. Someone can certainly write if they can read--if they don't have some kind of disorder the debilitates them.

Have you ever learned another language? It might seem odd in English, but if you read and write in another language, like with logographic characters like kanji, you might be able to read that language with no problem but writing can be a problem. Phonetic alphabets work really well in this case. For example, I could spell anything out in the English language within a certain margin or error. But when I try spelling a word I heard in Chinese, or Japanese kanji, or the Korean hanja, I might have no idea how to spell it--even though I've read it a thousand times.

You could also say, being aspiring writers, even though we read classics and fully understand the language, we can't apply it the same.

Hapax Legomenon

Registered
Reaction score
When a westerner unfamiliar with Chinese characters tries to write one, they do not approach it the same way a Chinese person approaches writing something that they learned to write since elementary school. They approach it like drawing a picture and ignore things like stroke order and may leave out necessary bits or not understand where things are supposed to line up. However the end result may be readable.

Someone who has been looking at letters all her life and can recognize misspellings as a reader is going to know enough words to write a letter. She's probably going to approach each of these words as writing a picture as well. Because Roman characters are so much simpler than Chinese characters, she's unlikely to "leave stuff out" and may add in extraneous stuff that you don't usually see in handwriting that you see in printed copies (eg. "a" and "g" are often very different in standard fonts than in handwriting). Also, things like written grammar have peculiar rules that spoken grammar doesn't share, and if she never learned that her sentences would be very messy. She might be able to write a letter... it would probably look like a four year old did it, but it'd still probably make sense.

If the letter is supposed to look like an adult wrote it by hand then yes that's plenty of reason why she would not have been able to do it. Also, in previous eras penmanship was very important in ways it is not today so if she had not been taught how to write then, she may very well be unable to write. However, be able to generally string together a sentence in horrible handwriting? She'd probably be capable of doing that.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
When does this novel take place?

Early 1900s. The character's father insists that she read and read and read. It's quite important to the character. In fact, she obsesses over Jane Eyre. It just seems very strange to me that someone with oodles of time on her hands and both the proclivity and instruction to read copiously, would not be able to write once taught to read. If you know what the word "house" looks like on the page, enough to recognize it anywhere, it just seems that you'd be able to at least approximate the markings on a blank page.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
If you know what the word "house" looks like on the page, enough to recognize it anywhere, it just seems that you'd be able to at least approximate the markings on a blank page.

You'd think so, but recall is always harder than recognition.

Hapax Legomenon

Registered
Reaction score
Early 1900s. The character's father insists that she read and read and read. It's quite important to the character. In fact, she obsesses over Jane Eyre. It just seems very strange to me that someone with oodles of time on her hands and both the proclivity and instruction to read copiously, would not be able to write once taught to read. If you know what the word "house" looks like on the page, enough to recognize it anywhere, it just seems that you'd be able to at least approximate the markings on a blank page.

Ah, see, this is where it gets tricksy. At that point everyone's handwriting was still very cursivey and looks very different than letters printed on the page, and a letter would likely be written by hand. You might be able to copy printing by reading tons of books, but you wouldn't be able to learn cursive.

Reaction score
Second star on the right and on 'til morning.
Website
atsiko.wordpress.com
Although related, they are definitely different skills.

This is probably most apparent in Asian countries with complicated scripts like hanzi and kanji.

In Japan, with modern technologies making writing by hand more rare, it's becoming more and more common to be able to read a kanji but not be able to write it.

I can certainly read much more Japanese than I can write.

If you try to learn a language with a completely different script, it quickly becomes apparent how reading and writing are separate skills.

Yes, but it's all encompassed by the language.

If someone has never practiced writing, then it'll be extremely difficult for them to do so. This is just a part of application and practice. Someone can certainly write if they can read--if they don't have some kind of disorder the debilitates them.

Have you ever learned another language? It might seem odd in English, but if you read and write in another language, like with logographic characters like kanji, you might be able to read that language with no problem but writing can be a problem. Phonetic alphabets work really well in this case. For example, I could spell anything out in the English language within a certain margin or error. But when I try spelling a word I heard in Chinese, or Japanese kanji, or the Korean hanja, I might have no idea how to spell it--even though I've read it a thousand times.

You could also say, being aspiring writers, even though we read classics and fully understand the language, we can't apply it the same.

When a westerner unfamiliar with Chinese characters tries to write one, they do not approach it the same way a Chinese person approaches writing something that they learned to write since elementary school. They approach it like drawing a picture and ignore things like stroke order and may leave out necessary bits or not understand where things are supposed to line up. However the end result may be readable.

Someone who has been looking at letters all her life and can recognize misspellings as a reader is going to know enough words to write a letter. She's probably going to approach each of these words as writing a picture as well. Because Roman characters are so much simpler than Chinese characters, she's unlikely to "leave stuff out" and may add in extraneous stuff that you don't usually see in handwriting that you see in printed copies (eg. "a" and "g" are often very different in standard fonts than in handwriting). Also, things like written grammar have peculiar rules that spoken grammar doesn't share, and if she never learned that her sentences would be very messy. She might be able to write a letter... it would probably look like a four year old did it, but it'd still probably make sense.

If the letter is supposed to look like an adult wrote it by hand then yes that's plenty of reason why she would not have been able to do it. Also, in previous eras penmanship was very important in ways it is not today so if she had not been taught how to write then, she may very well be unable to write. However, be able to generally string together a sentence in horrible handwriting? She'd probably be capable of doing that.

Writing and read are separate skills. One is a recognition and analysis process, the other is production. For example, many people can understand a foreign language well and yet have a great deal of trouble speaking it.

Kuwi mentions kanji and hanzi. Recognition, whether of logoraphic characters or a series of phonemic characters is a different process than production. When I was taught cursive in elementary school, it was almost like learning to write all over again. Learning to write is an incredibly painful process. You have to practice to get the motor control to accurately and precisely reproduce letters (or logogaphs) at a reasonable pace. Consider trying to write with your non-dominant hand. It's a lot of effort, and it usually looks like crap for most people.

It's certainly possible that you could over time and with a lot of effort teach yourself to write. But it's just as reasonable that you might not bother if you don't find it necessary.

TheNighSwan

Banned
Reaction score
Also: I know what a cat looks like; I have several cats; I am very familiar with the appearance of cats; that doesn't mean I can draw one just like that.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Ah, see, this is where it gets tricksy. At that point everyone's handwriting was still very cursivey and looks very different than letters printed on the page, and a letter would likely be written by hand. You might be able to copy printing by reading tons of books, but you wouldn't be able to learn cursive.

I'm thinking this might be the thing, but it probably would have been better for the author to at least signpost to this a little. It ended up seeming very disconnected.

Carrie in PA

Write All The Words!
Registered
Reaction score
But could you reproduce a stick figure?

Ah. Without the skills required to write, no.

Children start by scribbling. If they have no tools to scribble, they don't learn the motor skills required to create recognizable objects. One would assume that if a child were never provided with the tools necessary to write, it wouldn't be natural to make any sort of recognizable object.

If you've never held a tool used to create lines - pen/pencil/crayon - you wouldn't have had the opportunity to mimic the lines you see in print. If you've never seen a pencil, there would be a learning curve to even operating it before making it do what you want it to do. You'd have to figure out how to hold it (which isn't exactly natural - watch young children grasping a crayon), and then figure out how to make it work. THEN you'd have to learn to mimic the lines you've seen. Also - people see the same words over and over and over for their entire lives and can't spell them. So it's perfectly reasonable that they could see words and not be able to write them.

It's entirely plausible to me that someone can read and not write.

Hapax Legomenon

Registered
Reaction score
Right. If you can draw, you can copy letters, even from a language that's unfamiliar. Drawing is much more complicated skill. You're probably used to a society where people who cannot write still have access to pens and such and can still generally scribble -- if you cannot sign your name, you're still expected to be able to draw an X. If you've never held a pen in your life, it's going to be all the more difficult.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
It's presumably not a mystery novel, because 'she can read in two languages, but she can't write in either' seems a mighty thin thread to hang a plot on.
It's odd that 'could she have taught herself' would even come up? What sort of person would teach his child to read, fluently, in two languages, and not teach her to write? If for no reason than convenience: being able to make notes about which books have already been read. If he's that big a loon, he might have actively tried to not have her learn to write.
Either this weirdness is being perpetrated to indicate that the father has a screw loose, in which case it should be fairly well known, or he was deliberately setting up an alibi for a future murder.
Was there any suggestion that she might have dysgraphia, which wasn't a diagnosis back in the day? Because, even so,I can't see a case so extreme that she couldn't write at all without it affecting other aspects of her life.

What book was this? I'm kind of curious now.

Last edited:

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
It doesn't strike me as odd. Reading doesn't require hand control, so there's no reason why reading would make someone good at handwriting. A lot goes into teaching children to write. It's years of constant repetition and exercises to build up the strength and flexibility in the hands. And that's just for handwriting that is broadly correct, not handwriting that's at an adult standard. An adult who hasn't gone through this is going to struggle.

A related thing is that I'm ambidextrous, but was made to use my right hand only at school. I eventually rebelled and started writing with my left as well. But I couldn't just pick up the pen and produce writing to the same standard as my right, because the left hand hadn't spent years writing every day. I knew how to move my hand, but it took time to get the muscles in shape. Now, there's little difference in the muscles between both hands, so I'm equally bad with both. But if I were to stop writing with one hand for ten years, that one would struggle if I tried to write again. Muscle training is very important for legible handwriting.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Was there any suggestion that she might have dysgraphia, which wasn't a diagnosis back in the day? Because, even so,I can't see a case so extreme that she couldn't write at all without it affecting other aspects of her life.

It's kind of odd, because the letter was not a major "a-ha!" and the thing about her not being able to write wasn't really even necessary to the mystery.

The importance of reading - vastly and with great reflection - was fairly important to her character, but it was only mentioned a few times that she didn't know how to write, but never explained.

It's odd that 'could she have taught herself' would even come up? What sort of person would teach his child to read, fluently, in two languages, and not teach her to write? If for no reason than convenience: being able to make notes about which books have already been read. If he's that big a loon, he might have actively tried to not have her learn to write.

Her father (and teacher) was a loon in the story, and if her not being able to write had been integral to the story, I guess the author could have made a thing of it, but she didn't really.

It was just kind of incongruous.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
It did come up in our book club discussion tonight. There were three teachers in the group and they all thought it was quite strange. In their experience, they said that typically kids will quite naturally start to copy the characters on their own. Especially enthusiastic readers. According to them, most children wouldn't wait to be shown, but would improve faster (obviously) with guidance.

Hapax Legomenon

Registered
Reaction score
It would seem like such a thing would have to be very integral to the story because it's such an odd thing.

Like I was thinking about this and the availability of pens and pencils. These days ballpoint pens literally cost cents and are given, abandoned, and stolen freely without much thought, and it was definitely not always like this with writing and drawing materials. If the father was a total nut and literally did not have any writing materials in the house at all, it may be that she's never really had the chance to pick one up and try... but yeah, you can write in other things, too, like in dust or condensation on windows with your finger...

But it's also possible that she had tried to write print as in books but had never learned how to "write" properly, so she wouldn't have been able to write a letter competently enough for whatever she supposedly did.

Last edited:

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
In their experience, they said that typically kids will quite naturally start to copy the characters on their own. Especially enthusiastic readers. According to them, most children wouldn't wait to be shown, but would improve faster (obviously) with guidance.

That's in a modern classroom setting though where everyone is expected to learn to write eventually. Not sure how applicable it is.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score

It would seem like such a thing would have to be very integral to the story because it's such an odd thing.

Like I was thinking about this and the availability of pens and pencils. These days ballpoint pens literally cost cents and are given, abandoned, and stolen freely without much thought, and it was definitely not always like this with writing and drawing materials. If the father was a total nut and literally did not have any writing materials in the house at all, it may be that she's never really had the chance to pick one up and try... but yeah, you can write in other things, too, like in dust or condensation on windows with your finger...

But it's also possible that she had tried to write print as in books but had never learned how to "write" properly, so she wouldn't have been able to write a letter competently enough for whatever she supposedly did.

Proper, schooled handwriting was cursive, but that doesn't mean no one printed. Kids start with print; lots of people printed.

If she was reading printed books, it'd be not illogical that she'd practice writing.

I can't imagine a house without a single pen or pencil in it, but even if, there are sticks, makeup, etc.

I think she'd try too - if she didn't ever see people writing or see anything handwritten maybe not, but I think it'd take a seriously concerted effort on the part of a lot of people to keep her from seeing anyone writing stuff or having handwritten stuff, from mail to recipes to lists to notes.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
My youngest son is 14, and has dyslexia. He can read fluently, but prefers not to read much because he doesn't enjoy it.

He really struggles to write anything by hand, and when he does write it's almost incomprehensible.

He does much better writing on his laptop, but makes frequent errors with similar-sounding words.

I can quite understand how someone can read but not write.

Status
Not open for further replies.