PDA

View Full Version : Ever Have a Hard Time. . .

WerenCole
03-24-2006, 10:24 PM
Explaining to people the conversations you have on AW?

We have some good topics and whatnot going on here and I find myself all the time saying "yeah, I this message board I go to someone said this. . ."

Then you have to explain what AW is and more or less admit you are a message board geek. . .

I almost find myself saying "well, then Rob said this, and Perks said that and that PrettySpecialGal, well, she is pretty special alright and. . ." Then I realize that to them, all of you wonderful people do not exist.

Its becoming kind of awkward. . . I keep catching myself before I launch into some inane AW conversation that we all find hilarious but normal, non writer folks this is boring or just odd.

For instance: How do I explain that I am supposed to be Kirk Vonnegut for the month of April? I mean, really. . .

Anybody else have these problems?

CaroGirl
03-24-2006, 10:28 PM
No, but I live largely in my own mind. What other people?

jenngreenleaf
03-24-2006, 10:28 PM
:ROFL: YES!!!!! :ROFL: Especially when people want to know where I've received such detailed advice or information . . . I say I belong to a writing group called Absolute Write and the members network with me frequently. tee hee

Stew21
03-24-2006, 10:33 PM
Yes, occasionally I have these problems. I refer to everyone as "a friend of mine". so it comes out like this, "A friend of mine said, blah blah blah." It is usually ok like that, but one of my friends caught on and said, "Trish, which friends?" So I had to admit it, "my writing website message board friends." This required a bigger explanation for him because he's not "internet-geeky" like me so he doesn't understand this in the slightest. But now that the cat is out of the bag, he has a basic understanding of it, I say, "RhymeGirl said," or "and then Poetinahat posted," or some such and he asks how it works, etc...I'll convert him to internet geek in no time! :) In the meantime though, when I talk to people that don't know I do this, I just still say, "a friend". SOmetimes its best.

WerenCole
03-24-2006, 10:34 PM
No, but I live largely in my own mind. What other people?

Oh yes. . . the "other people" I think I have heard of them once. . . something about there actually being people that exist outside of cyberspace. A theory maybe, but I tend to agree with the experts that they might actually exist.

CaroGirl
03-24-2006, 10:38 PM
Oh yes. . . the "other people" I think I have heard of them once. . . something about there actually being people that exist outside of cyberspace. A theory maybe, but I tend to agree with the experts that they might actually exist.
Hmmm, interesting theory Weren Cole. I shall investigate further and report back if I find any evidence of said "other people".

tiny
03-24-2006, 10:42 PM
You need to stop talking to the other people, man, and embrace the board...

aadams73
03-24-2006, 10:55 PM
What is this "other people" and "friends" that you speak of? I know nothing of these things :D

(thank god I have a Husband and a dog, otherwise I would never leave the house)

Shadow_Ferret
03-24-2006, 10:58 PM
I stopped discussing my "board" life a long time ago. People look at you oddly and think you're one of those weirdos the news is full of who stalk teenagers in chat rooms.

LightShadow
03-24-2006, 11:03 PM
My wife doesn't understand, and at first got upset anytime she saw me respond to anybody that looked like they might be female, but now she just accepts it. I tell her, hey, if I'm gonna be a full-time writer someday I need to hang around with writers. Heck, maybe them knowing who I am will help sell a few books.

kristie911
03-24-2006, 11:59 PM

There ARE other people...they call me all night at work and interrupt what could be good AW time. They tend to start their conversations with silly things like, "I have a fire." or "I need an ambulance." They're quite annoying really.

Back on subject, I do occasionally talk about a discussion that was had here on the boards and I get strange looks...usually because it's something completely unrelated to writing and then they wonder why we're not talking about writing on a writing board. I try to explain about OP and TIO but I only get odd looks.

You guys are so much better than "real" people...I can't see when you look at me strangely!

Jcomp
03-25-2006, 12:14 AM
I stopped discussing my "board" life a long time ago.

d-to-the-itto...

tiny
03-25-2006, 12:15 AM
And yet you all speak of the real world like it exists.

Unique
03-25-2006, 12:16 AM
Bwahahaha!
And the circle widens....

Danger Jane
03-25-2006, 12:34 AM
Haha, I don't talk much about internet conversations with real life friends (that sounds so GEEKY!). It sketches them out. I mean come on, it's not like I'm going to meet them. Although I met my best friend online...explaining why the phone was busy so much was kind of awkward, until my friends reconciled themselves to the fact that I go online :| They don't even have AIM.

My mother is by far the worst, though. She hates me going online after she's in bed (nine) because "it feels like there are people in the house who I don't even know."

Yes, mom, I got the zip code right.

dahmnait
03-25-2006, 12:53 AM
I am just wondering how much longer I can pass AW off as research?

brokenfingers
03-25-2006, 01:06 AM

My doctors find it very therapeutic for me and much more healthier than my last batch of imaginary friends...

trumancoyote
03-25-2006, 01:52 AM
Hahah. It's especially bad when you don't know people's real names. My boyfriend keeps up well enough on AW gossip w/out me having to explain too much.

Bufty
03-25-2006, 03:29 AM
What's this about 'not knowing people's real names'. Come on. I trust you folk - my friends - you can't be using false names and lying to me? Say it isn't true.

September skies
03-25-2006, 08:36 AM
Yes, occasionally I have these problems. I refer to everyone as "a friend of mine". so it comes out like this, "A friend of mine said, blah blah blah."

LOL - I do that all the time. When I say something about "my friend" -- my girls laugh and remind me that AW people are not "real people"
Sometimes they'll ask who - and I'll give your names out - and they just laugh louder.

I get no respect around here. I don't care. I got my friends - you! http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/EmoteROFL.gif

maestrowork
03-25-2006, 08:38 AM
You actually explain AW?

Lantern Jack
03-25-2006, 08:46 AM
Three things you need to know to live a long, happy and fulfilled life in AW Land:

1) This is Heaven.
2) I'm God.
3) You're not.

Now fetch me a martini, before I turn you into something small, furry and squelching.

Remember, minions, THINK HAPPY THOUGHTS! There's plenty of room in that corn field:e2teeth:

WerenCole
03-25-2006, 11:27 AM
Three things you need to know to live a long, happy and fulfilled life in AW Land:

1) This is Heaven.
2) I'm God.
3) You're not.

Now fetch me a martini, before I turn you into something small, furry and squelching.

Remember, minions, THINK HAPPY THOUGHTS! There's plenty of room in that corn field:e2teeth:

If your this god people have been referring too, then my whole world has gone to sh!t.

Lantern Jack
03-25-2006, 11:30 AM
If your this god people have been referring too, then my whole world has gone to sh!t.

Someone just earned a lifetime banishment to the corn field. Would you prefer to be a jack-in-the-box or a slinky?

WerenCole
03-25-2006, 11:33 AM
Someone just earned a lifetime banishment to the corn field. Would you prefer to be a jack-in-the-box or a slinky?

Slinky, please.

kristie911
03-25-2006, 01:19 PM
Slinky, please.

I could go so many places with this but I think I'd better refrain...I'm sure this board is rated PG and my comments range from PG-13 to X!

rekirts
03-25-2006, 06:17 PM
But it doesn't change the fact that we see the people on the boards as real.I see me as real, too.

Stew21
03-25-2006, 06:22 PM
I could go so many places with this but I think I'd better refrain...I'm sure this board is rated PG and my comments range from PG-13 to X!

We typically don't get up to "X-rated" but NC-17 is entirely acceptable with proper warning....:)

PattiTheWicked
03-25-2006, 06:45 PM
I do the same thing -- I'll be talking to one of my RL friends, and say, "Oh, I was talking to so-and-so and they mentioned that --- ". And what it really translates to is "I hang out on this message board and read a post by some guy I never met who lives a bazillion miles away and I thought it was funny/intelligent/profound/creepy so it stuck in my mind and now I'm sharing it with you like I had an actual conversation."

What if AW actually IS real life, and all those other people I talk to are in my imagination?

ATP
03-25-2006, 08:28 PM
The person I speak most with these days is my girlfriend, so she gets to hear quite a bit about the AW commentary.

I have told her about various threads and who has said what etc in summary fashion. Most recently, I explained one poster's predicament, with posts in reply, and, while she was sitting beside me fooling with her laptop, the decision by the poster with the predicament, after reading all the previous replies. I translated the replies for her, which led to a bit of a discussion about cultural and hence perceptual differences.Generally, she's ok with me mentioning AW, but I think at times she gets a bit bored.She has a number of real life friends, while I spend quite a bit of time here in AW. I think I can understand her sometime boredom with my discussion of AW.

ATP

Annabella
03-25-2006, 09:00 PM
I stopped trying to explain it to people I know. They just look at me weird.

I'm on another forum where we do meet and do card exchanges and stuff. That one is a little easier to explain because I actually do know some of them.

louisgodwin
03-27-2006, 08:14 AM
My wife doesn't understand, and at first got upset anytime she saw me respond to anybody that looked like they might be female, but now she just accepts it.

You and me both.

The only person I've ever tried to explain AW to is a fellow writer friend. Even then it was difficult because he doesn't have a computer and didn't seem to understand the difference between a chatroom and a message board.

Lantern Jack
03-27-2006, 08:52 AM
Hello, this is Lantern Jack, your god (yes, God uses Comic Sans font) just checking in to see that you're sending up all your little hosannas to me and burning incense to appease me and properly squabbling and smiting each other over what my ridiculously Rube Goldbergian divine edicts may be.

But wait! What's this? You've gone 5 whole posts without mentioning me, or slaying one of my precious creatures and burning his blood in my name? What gives? I am most displeased, most displeased, indeed.

Lantern Jack is a most jealous and promiscuous god. He requires five virgins sacrificed to him, or merely delivered up to his bed chambers, every hour, on the hour, and he must be the center of all discourse.

If not, he shall become cranky and do some smiting of His own. And believe me, things that get smitten by Lantern Jack stay smitten.

Consider yourself warned, my precious parish. It would be a shame if I should have to release a plague of something nasty and stinging, would it not:e2seesaw:

My-Immortal
03-27-2006, 09:02 AM

I think my two year old is catching on..... :)

WerenCole
03-27-2006, 11:00 AM
LJ. . . what the hell are you on?

and why post it here?

Lantern Jack
03-27-2006, 11:57 AM
LJ. . . what the hell are you on?

and why post it here?

Quiet, you! You're a slinky now! Slinky's don't talk!

Elincoln
03-27-2006, 04:51 PM
I gave up talking to hubby about it. He completely understands forums and is even on a few, but he doesn't get the closeness we have here.

My daughter on the other hand actually knows who's Avatar is who and says their name out loud.

Most people just look at me funny when I tell them about our 'conversations.' They already think I'm weird, so I'm use to it.

And sorry LJ, but you are not the right gender to be god for some of us.

Kida Adelyne
03-27-2006, 04:53 PM
Hehehe... it's really funny when me and my mum start talking about the weekend progress report "Your gonna get tazered if you don't write this week!" and non-L33t people are going "What?!?!"

Oh, L.J. If you're god, I'm going to become an athiest.

Serenity
03-27-2006, 07:24 PM
I don't really have that much of a problem as my roommate is the one I talk to the most, and she's a member on the board! :D

My friends at work already think I'm weird for going to sci-fi cons. I think they keep expecting me to show up at work in a Starfleet Uniform.

I just might do that some day...

Anyhow, all of you are as *real* to me as any of the 'others'. I can actually hold decent, intelligent coversations (for the most part :Shrug: ) here. Try doing that in the real world... (g'head, I dare ya....)

PattiTheWicked
03-27-2006, 08:03 PM
LJ, good luck finding those five virgins anywhere around AW.

Edited to Add:

I just had a revelation. LanternJack advised us that he is God. In another thread, Jack -- who, as God, must be all-knowing -- told us that John Malkovich is God.

Ergo, Lantern Jack must be John Malkovich!

That actually explains a lot.

jenngreenleaf
03-27-2006, 08:07 PM
LJ, good luck finding those five virgins anywhere around AW.

Edited to Add:

I just had a revelation. LanternJack advised us that he is God. In another thread, Jack -- who, as God, must be all-knowing -- told us that John Malkovich is God.

Ergo, Lantern Jack must be John Malkovich!

That actually explains a lot.

:ROFL:

sacredmime
03-27-2006, 09:45 PM
Mr. Jack, can I be your high priest? I've always wanted to be a high priest for someone, ever since I was this tall *raises hand 7 inches from the floor*.

Shadow_Ferret
03-27-2006, 09:52 PM
and non-L33t people are going "What?!?!"

What?!?!

WerenCole
03-28-2006, 03:15 AM
I am still trying to figure out why LJ has decided he is god. . . I think it might be a testament to the thread. . . "Ever Have A Hard Time talking to someone about why some nutjob on a message board has pronounced himself god. . . then purpotedly turned you into a slinky?"

yeah, that happens all the time.

Is it just me, or has LJ stepped up his efforts on the "shock and awe" theme of his recently?

WerenCole
01-23-2008, 02:47 AM
I was just re-reading this thread and liked it. . . so I am bringing back to the top for now.

Any other fun stories about cyber-induced real world meglomania and alcoholism. . . drunk, farting, while staring down Jaycinth's blouse?

Or, was that just me?

HeronW
01-23-2008, 03:40 AM
I read thought-provoking items, laugh like a maniac, and bounce all over AW like a rabbit on speed. What's wrong with that?

Akuma
01-23-2008, 10:18 AM
I treat AW like a true fan.

I hide it and am ashamed of it.

writerterri
01-23-2008, 12:13 PM
I haven't told anyone about AW. It's my own private space.

Jaycinth
01-23-2008, 06:35 PM
I was just re-reading this thread and liked it. . . so I am bringing back to the top for now.

Any other fun stories about cyber-induced real world meglomania and alcoholism. . . drunk, farting, while staring down Jaycinth's blouse?

Or, was that just me?

I'm wearing a blouse?

JoeEkaitis
01-23-2008, 06:50 PM
I like watching someone's eyes glaze over and roll upwards as I describe this place.

Jersey Chick
01-23-2008, 07:32 PM
My husband wants to post because he hears (reads over my shoulder) some of the discussions. I told him he can't cuz he's not a writer (I just don't really want to share). :D This is my place. Mine, I tell you. ALL MINE! :D