Do You Answer Your Phone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Or do you let the answering machine pick up?

I'm supposed to be on the "do not call" list they came up with to avoid telemarketers. Since I'm home during the day and working, I don't want to be bugged by people trying to sell me something.

However, since charities are still allowed to call people, that's the kind of calls I've been getting. I can't give to everything. Therefore, I just won't answer my phone and I let the machine pick up.

You?

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
I don't answer unless I know the number. They can leave a message! sometimes I don't even answer when friends call. If I'm in the middle of something I let it ring and get back to them later. works for me.

Forbidden Snowflake

I'm quite put out.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vinjii.ch
Of course I answer my phone. People over here do not leave messages, so I have no machine, because it would be useless and if it's someone I don't wanna talk with, I'll hang up again ;)

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
Call display is a wonderful thing. If I don't recognize the number, I don't answer. Depending on my mood, I don't even answer if I do recognize the number.

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I always answer, especially unrecognized numbers. Hoping it's a publisher or record label or long lost uncle who wants to pass me millions of dollars. Something.

SC Harrison

Dances With Hamsters
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
The telephone is an evil entity, put here on this planet to torment and confuse.

Somebody called a few years ago with some good news (they said), but it turned out to be a false alarm—I had to help them move some old furniture out to make room for some (slightly) newer furniture someone had given them.

rekirts

NOooooo!!!
Registered
Reaction score
If it's a local call I answer it. If it's a long distance number that I don't recognize, I don't answer it. If it's one of my husband's relatives I don't answer it. :D

I kept missing my sister's calls because she started going through a system where her number shows up as a 1-888 number, but I know what it is now.

Dawno

Shiny!
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
someplace around here, anyone seen my keys?
Nobody calls my home phone anymore except family, wrong numbers and the occasional business that I've given my home number to. It's very peaceful to be on the do not call list.

Except around election time. I keep getting calls from the party I'm not registered with - I wonder how I got on their list. I think Mac gave them my number. ;)

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
People I know call me on my cell, and I have special rings for them. If something is calling my home phone, it's mostly telemarketers or some others and I just let voicemail pick up.

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
CaroGirl said:
Call display is a wonderful thing. If I don't recognize the number, I don't answer. Depending on my mood, I don't even answer if I do recognize the number.

Oh you mean Caller ID? See, I don't have that. That might come in handy. Although I wouldn't necessarily recognize an editor's phone number and that would be a call I'd want to take.

Sometimes I just get friends or relatives who think I'm not doing anything so they call up to chit-chat. My sister calls to ask me trivia questions!!

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
rhymegirl said:
Oh you mean Caller ID? See, I don't have that. That might come in handy. Although I wouldn't necessarily recognize an editor's phone number and that would be a call I'd want to take.

Sometimes I just get friends or relatives who think I'm not doing anything so they call up to chit-chat. My sister calls to ask me trivia questions!!

Caller ID doesn't just show the number, it also shows names of businesses or the person the phone is listed under. Not all calls, but most have a name with it. It could really come in handy. Highly recommend!

September skies

cloud watching
Registered
Reaction score
under my September Skies in sunny California
Website
www.estheravila.com
rhymegirl said:

I am so tired of all my family who thinks I sit around and do nothing all day! Seriously! No matter how often I tell them that I am on a deadline or tied up writing - they call for the stupidest things.

So, no, I do not answer my phone. I look at the caller ID and if it is my Mom, I answer - otherwise - the phone rings and rings. (I refuse to get an a/m - because then I have to return the calls. Anyway, I don't give my home phone out.)

Anybody that REALLY needs to talk to me (four newspapers I write for, my children, husband, etc...they all call my cell phone)

The cell phone, I see the I.D. and if it's a sister (who talks nonstop) or friends, and I am busy, I let it go to voicemail and check it later.

Last edited:

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Kathy, you have broadband Internet connection, right? I highly recommend Internet phones like AT&T or Vonage. They're cheaper than regular land line, and Caller ID, etc. are all included.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
maestrowork said:
People I know call me on my cell, and I have special rings for them. If something is calling my home phone, it's mostly telemarketers or some others and I just let voicemail pick up.
Is that why you never get back to me?

Maryn, just kidding

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
I let voicemail grab it if I don't know the number. If it's my husband I always pick it up. Anyone else I know...well it depends on my mood.

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The only thing that really bothers me is when someone calls and I'm at work. Unless it's something urgent, you shouldn't be calling my cell from 8am-5pm. Mother***ker I'm at work.

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
September skies said:
Anybody that REALLY needs to talk to me (four newspapers I write for, my children, husband, etc...they all call my cell phone)

The cell phone, I see the I.D. and if it's a sister (who talks nonstop) or friends, and I am busy, I let it go to voicemail and check it later.

About cell phones...

My husband bought me a cell phone 2 years ago for Christmas. Nice gift, right? He takes it to work with him every day. Guess he bought it for himself???

PattiTheWicked

Unleashing Hell.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pattiwigington.com
I love my Caller ID feature. My thing is not so much that I don't like to answer the phone, but mostly that I don't like to spend time on idle chit chat. If it's someone who's calling for a purpose, or that I haven't spoken to in a while, I'll answer it. On the other hand, if my stepdaughter finally saved up enough money for a new cell phone and wants to use all her minutes the first week, calling us SEVEN TIMES IN ONE DAY from South Carolina to talk about NOTHING, well... you can see why Caller ID might come in handy.

People I really like, or people I come into contact for business always get my cell phone number.

jenngreenleaf

Here to network and learn.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenngreeenleaf.com
TrickyFiction said:
Yup. Caller I.D. is my savior.

Mine, too! Especially since I've been getting bill collector calls for someone named Deborah and someone else named Pete . . . irritates the sh*t out of me. :rant:

LightShadow

defender of the blahs!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
I have no caller I.D. and a voice mail through the phone company, so there is no way I could screen my calls; besides, I have a 21 year old and a 15 year old, so how often do you think the calls are actually for me or my wife?

roach

annoyed and annoying
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.idiorhythmic.net
When the phone rings I check the caller ID. If I don't recognize the number I let it go to the answering machine and 99 times out of 100 whoever is calling doesn't leave a message. We wanted to just use our cellphones but there's no real coverage in the house and then we learned that you want a landline for emergencies. 911 can associate a phone number with an address so we got the landline when we moved into the house.

No one calls me anyway. Anyone I want to talk to has my e-mail address and my IM contact information.

Status
Not open for further replies.