Forever

Hoplite

Return of the Coffee Shield
Registered
Reaction score
Hello fellow AWers.

The Mrs. and I watched the pilot episode of Forever last night (streamed it online, so we're one episode behind). We both really enjoyed it, and both noted how similar it was to another show we liked: New Amsterdam. But that's okay, since New Amsterdam was cancelled after what, 5 episodes? Hopefully Forever will hang around for a few seasons. How can you not love an immortal-British-medical-examiner?

Anyway, have at it. Any other fans of the show?

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
I watched the first episode a couple of weeks ago when it was offered on Hulu Plus, and I was intrigued. I plan to give it a try.

Marlys

Resist. Love. Go outside.
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I've always liked Ioan Gruffudd, so I'm more than willing to keep watching. But I'm afraid it will go the same way as other light-SF shows I got into and then got canceled on me (Journeyman, Life on Mars[US]).

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
As this type of show goes it is not horrible. But it suffers from really bad science and a lot of cliches. And Judd Hirsch typecast these days. He is a better actor than the parts he is given.

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
Watched the second episode. Are they trying to make him more Sherlocky?

And this has been bugging me all along: Where do his clothes go? He dies. His body disappears. He rises again from the water, naked. In the first episode, his watch stayed behind in the subway, so where do his clothes go?

Hoplite

Return of the Coffee Shield
Registered
Reaction score
Watched the second episode. Are they trying to make him more Sherlocky?

I got that feeling from the first episode: the man can deduce anything.

And this has been bugging me all along: Where do his clothes go? He dies. His body disappears. He rises again from the water, naked. In the first episode, his watch stayed behind in the subway, so where do his clothes go?
Hmmm. If I recall he was reaching out for his watch but died before he could get to it, thus the watch remained behind. That's a good point about the clothes though as it would bring up one problem or another:

1) Anything on his person disappears into the void. Which would include his watch, but he's had that for centuries now.
2) His clothes remain behind, and thus he can retrieve his watch after resurrection, but police would have his bloody clothes as evidence.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I doubt they are being consistent, but the watch does seem to be "special" with hints that it has been running since his first death. But surely he has lost it now if he was carrying it for one of his other gratuitous deaths.

I have low hopes for them keeping the mythos consistent. I suspect it will just turn out to inexplicably still be in his possession.

JohnnyGottaKeyboard

Who let this guy in...?
Registered
Reaction score
On the rooftoop where he climbed when the laughter
No. Just no.

I wanted to like it, but about ten minutes in they announced he worked for the county medical examiner. How exactly does he keep his job with the county when he serially gets arrested for indecent exposure? And why, when ADA from Law & Order suspected him of causing the crash and "investigated" him she found he used to be a grave digger but apparently could not find that WHILE THE TRAIN WAS CRASHING (!!!) he was being arrested for indecent exposure...and he spent the night in lock up?

And why oh why did all the cops see him go up to the roof with ADA from Law & Order and then "disappear" yet no one said anything about it?

The questions were just way too overwhelming and most of them were caused by completely needless plot points the writers put in for no other reason than to be quirky.

I'll watch the second ep eventually (but certainly no rush), tho it will need to be way better than the pilot for me to come back!

ETA: If it was just being presented as an urban fantasy or paranormal romance, that would be one thing...But it wants to be a mystery of the week show. And I can't commit to a mystery that has such lazy writing.

Even the Holocaust tattoo was in the wrong place!

Last edited:

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Saw the first episode on On Demand last week somewhen. I thought it had promise, but am not holding my breath for it to get better, since getting better in its science and plot seems to be the deathknell for good SF on most TV networks. It is great to see Judd in a weekly show again, though. Him showing up was a definite plus.

Once I get some time off work (today is 6 of 7 straight--43 hrs into the job already this week), I'll probably catch up with it on On Demand again (yesterday's off-time was spent getting caught up with BBT) when I have time off again. We'll see.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I noticed that tattoo was wrong. But so many things were wrong from the office opening directly onto the morgue to him still having access to the bodies after becoming a suspect. Accuracy is clearly not a priority with this show. The way they showed a DNA match being run made me laugh out loud.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
:gaah The plot holes!

Finished ep 1 On Demand. Will start ep 2 now.

So far it's Forever Knight, but with an immortal searching for the reason for his immortality. Ioan Gryffudd is very watchable. Always has been.

ETA: Still silly and riddled with holes, but good brain popcorn. We'll give it a couple more eps at least.

Last edited:

Steve Coate

Registered
Reaction score
Website
coaterack.blogspot.com
I like it in a Hawaii 5-O kind of way.

There are a lot of absurdities, but it's a fun ride.

I also like seeing the actor who plays the assistant M.E. in the role.

Last edited:

Nualláin

Registered
Reaction score
I half-watched the beginning of the first one, and thought it looked quite good while half my brain was engaged in other business. Then I started paying full attention for the rest of the episode, and that was a mistake.

For me, this one is Telly-To-Watch-While-You're-Doing-Something-Else.

Saoirse

Mi verkas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
erinkendall.wordpress.com
I like it, although I did notice inconsistencies as well. I like it b/c I don't need to really think about it. I seem to be getting caught up in the mystery aspect.

I wonder if we'll ever know why he's immortal (and his stalker).

Max Vaehling

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dreadfulgate.de
I wonder if we'll ever know why he's immortal (and his stalker).
In Season 3 (assuming it lasts that long), it'll probably turn out to be the works of a sorcerer who wanted to start a side business in second-hand clothes.

Aside all the inconsistencies and the fact that he's being presented as yet another socially awkward Brit who keeps showing off his keen observation skills (like we don't have two modern-day Sherlock Holmes shows already), I kinda like it for the character interplay and good acting. For now.

angeliz2k

never mind the shorty
Registered
Reaction score
Commonwealth of Virginia--it's for lovers
Website
www.elizabethhuhn.com
I'm enjoying the show. The "mysteries" are a little obvious and the police-work/science are a bit wonky (I keep yelling, "But then the courts will throw out everything you've done because you have no warrant!"). But I like the premise and some of the relationships. I like Abe; he's a fun and interesting character. And Ioan Gruffudd is charming. So, yeah, I've been keeping up with it.

[Also, it's trying really hard sometimes to be Sherlock, from some of the cuts to Henry's on-again-off-again character traits to the music.]

Katana

On the edge...
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I've always liked Ioan Gruffudd, so I'm more than willing to keep watching. But I'm afraid it will go the same way as other light-SF shows I got into and then got canceled on me (Journeyman, Life on Mars[US]).
This is what I'm afraid of. I've watched 'Forever' consistently since the first episode, and I quite enjoy it. I hope I'm not the only one here still watching. It hit a bit of a rough patch a few episodes in, but I think it's gotten better since then. Good acting, many levels of intrigue, interesting characters, and they're delving deeper into them. I've heard it isn't doing all that well in the US (though it gets good ratings here in Canada) and is likely to be cancelled.

ABC put it on a crappy night in a crappy timeslot, and they don't adequately promote it. If they cancel it, I'm done with network TV. I'm not getting hooked on another new program only to have it not return for a second season, and then we don't have resolution (like with Journeyman!). :rant: #RenewForever