William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
Eric Holder Jr., the nation's first black U.S. attorney general, is preparing to announce his resignation Thursday after a tumultuous tenure marked by civil rights advances, national security threats, reforms to the criminal justice system and 5 1/2 years of fights with Republicans in Congress.

Two sources familiar with the decision tell NPR that Holder, 63, intends to leave the Justice Department as soon as his successor is confirmed, a process that could run through 2014 and even into next year. A former U.S. government official says Holder has been increasingly "adamant" about his desire to leave soon for fear that he otherwise could be locked in to stay for much of the rest of President Obama's second term.

Holder already is one of the longest-serving members of the Obama Cabinet and ranks as the fourth-longest tenured AG in history. Hundreds of employees waited in lines, stacked three rows deep, in early February 2009 to witness his return to the Justice Department, where he previously worked as a young corruption prosecutor and as deputy attorney general — the second in command — during the Clinton administration.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way.../eric-holder-to-step-down-as-attorney-general

cmhbob

Did...did I do that?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bobmuellerwriter.com
I'll be really curious to see what happens next. I've heard rumors that Ginsberg will soon retire, and that Holder will take her spot. That would need to happen quickly I think, since Dems stand to lose seats this fall, making confirmation hearings somewhat problematic for any POTUS appointments in the next two years.

And I haven't heard any names tossed around as successors.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
Patrick denies he’s in line to be next US attorney general

Governor Deval Patrick on Thursday publicly denied rumors that he is in line to be the next U.S. attorney general.

“That’s an enormously important job but it’s not one for me right now,” Patrick said at a campaign event in Hudson, according to aides.

A flurry of speculation erupted Thursday morning after news broke that Attorney General Eric Holder would be resigning. Patrick, the top civil rights enforcer in the Justice Department under President Clinton, is a perennial mention when any top spot in Washington opens. He is close personally with President Obama and, come January when his term ends, will be available for new employment opportunities.

Patrick has consistently ruled out interest in federal posts and has said he would like to explore more lucrative, private-sector opportunities.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/20...-out-rumors/aOiLgmZhCB9uhWhCph7CJL/story.html

Michael Wolfe

Jambo Bwana
Registered
Reaction score
I've heard rumors that Ginsberg will soon retire, and that Holder will take her spot.

Ginsburg pretty much squashed those rumors, no? In any case, I think it's unlikely Obama would nominate Holder, even if a vacancy opened up.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
it's a four-step plan. holder becomes president, ginsburg first lady, barack takes the supreme court justice spot, michelle becomes attorney general.

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
what happens to Nancy Pelosi?

emax100

Banned
Reaction score
it's a four-step plan. holder becomes president, ginsburg first lady, barack takes the supreme court justice spot, michelle becomes attorney general.
Am I the only guy here who would be truly mortified if that were to actually happen?

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
Am I the only guy here who would be truly mortified if that were to actually happen?

I'm betting Holder wouldn't be too happy about the whole marrying Ginsberg thing.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
He's gonna step down? I was kinda hoping he'd jump. :D