Emailing a Query to a Snail-Mail-Only Agency?

Brett Marie

Slayer of Adverbs
Registered
Reaction score
I think I know the answer to this, but I'm hoping to be pleasantly surprised.

My top choice for representation accepts only snail-mail queries. Due to circumstances I'd prefer not to go into, I'm restricted to emailing queries. I have found the agent's direct email address at the agency. Now, is it at all advisable for me to send him an email explaining my situation and asking him if I may please query via email? If so, should I just write a quick explanatory blurb at the top of my regular query, or should I wait for permission before sending the proper query?

Corinne Duyvis

My New Cat Is Too Big for Shoulders
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.corinneduyvis.com
When possible, I always err on the side of following rules.

I won't ask about your situation, but would a possible solution be to ask a friend to snail mail the query for you? I did this when back when I was querying, as international snail mail is slow, unreliable, and expensive. The friend snail mailed the query, received the agent's response, and reported back to me over email.

If it's a rejection, that settles that; if it's a request for more material, they will often invite you to send it via email, and you'll be able to continue communications that way.

Brett Marie

Slayer of Adverbs
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Corinne. Unless somebody has something different to say, I'll take your advice.

mayqueen

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I agree with Corinne. Follow the instructions. Sure, you can email it, but many places that only take postal mail queries have a policy to just delete email queries. I also agree with Corinne about asking a friend.

nealraisman

tenured at Mammon U
Registered
Reaction score
If the agent wants snail mail they will likely not even check their email for inquiries from writers. Will need to use snail mail somehow.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
FWIW, it shouldn't be a terribly huge issue to get a friend in the same country as the agent's to receive a file from you via email, print it exactly as it appears, sign a query or cover letter in your stead, print an envelope, and mail it. It would neither take long nor cost much.

Unless making friends takes long and costs much, that is.

Maryn, who's done that for people in the UK a couple of times