Rehauling novel that went on sub 5 years ago

Whimsigirl

wishin' and hopin'
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.elizabethlimbooks.com
Hey everyone,

I've completely rewritten my book from several years ago -- originally subbed as women's fiction, now is reborn as a YA book, which is what a lot of publishers suggested in the first place. New title, different plot and setting.

I'm planning to terminate with my current agent and hopefully find a new one. Will it be a problem that the old version of the book has been subbed before (albeit to a totally different market)?

Thanks,

E

Treehouseman

Registered
Reaction score
After 5 years I doubt you would have a problem!

I found that there were a lot of DIFFERENT agents on the Query Tracker website even over the pace of 2 querying years, (agencies close for subs, others open, readers are promoted to agents within their companies, etc.) and with such a change in genre, you'll be querying a lot of different people.

If they asked for partials and fulls previously, you could explain the reworking, but otherwise 5 years is a long time.

Night_Writer

It's all symbolic.
Registered
Reaction score
I've completely rewritten my book from several years ago -- originally subbed as women's fiction, now is reborn as a YA book, which is what a lot of publishers suggested in the first place. New title, different plot and setting.

From women's to YA, along with a new title, plot and setting?

I hope you don't mind my asking, but is there anything about this book that stayed the same?

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
It's nothing you need to worry about at the querying stage, but I would let any offering agent know the book's history. She may want to know who the old agent subbed to, so you should ask for a list when you part ways. Yes, the book is very different and aimed for a different market, but that doesn't mean that some editors won't do both markets, and your new agent may want to avoid sending to the same editor just to be on the safe side (or to send to the same one with the disclosure of the changes in the book).

Vimes

Registered
Reaction score
I agree with Sage! Five years is a long time in publishing - people move between companies and roles so much - and the chances are that those who originally passed on it have moved elsewhere. Plus, of course, if it's now become YA then the chances are you're targetting completely different editors this time round anyway. That said, as Sage says, I'd try to get a list off your current agent of those the book was subbed to as you will need to mention the history when you have an offer from a new agent.