Backlash at Emma Watson for Gender Equality Speech at UN

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
I'm shocked by reports that Emma Watson is being attacked for the speech she gave at the UN on gender equality.

Sadly, I'm not surprised. Nor is the nature of the attack at all surprising.

According to reports, Watson's recent impassioned speech for gender equality at the United Nations has drawn backlash, including a threat to leak alleged nude photos of the star.

Even if those photos don't exist, I have no doubt someone will use Photoshop to create them, if not use those that already exist out there.

For those that don't know, Emma Watson was proclaimed the Goodwill Ambassador for Women at the UN. She gave a speech to the General Assembly. There's a video of that speech at the CNN link above.

I found nothing offensive or wrong with her speech. But it's not hard to see where others would see lots to oppose. Like the mere fact that she's a woman and speaking out.

Go get 'em, Emma. Here's one man rooting for you.

Last edited:

Hanson

Registered
Reaction score
She's a good choice. wide appeal, esp to younger women.

as for the 'backlash' nonsense. I wouldn't dignify any nut who can type/hack with the title of 'backlash' myself.

Prozyan

Are you one, Herbert?
Registered
Reaction score
What kind of threat is showing nude photos? Like she has something to be ashamed of.

Amadan

Banned
Reaction score
So far, the "backlash" is one poster on a 4chan board claiming they are going to hack her cloud and release nude photos (which may not even exist).

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
Good for Hermione.:D

She can tell her detractors to fuck off. I would.

raburrell

Treguna Makoidees Trecorum SadisDee
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rebeccaburrell.com
So far, the "backlash" is one poster on a 4chan board claiming they are going to hack her cloud and release nude photos (which may not even exist).

Speaks volumes that the focus is on that instead of what she actually had to say.

Would be awesome if we can do better here, IMO. :)

Amadan

Banned
Reaction score
Speaks volumes that the focus is on that instead of what she actually had to say.

Indeed. I don't know why one troll on a board notorious for trolls rated bigger headlines than her actual speech.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
What kind of threat is showing nude photos? Like she has something to be ashamed of.

Exactly. If they somehow manage the crime, I hope she doesn't even flinch - and not just for show. I hope it doesn't upset her.

Let the authorities handle it. Fuck 'em.

emax100

Banned
Reaction score

I recall the old adage "Be the change you wish to see in this world" - maybe this is a particularly good time to apply it. Maybe if we made a bigger deal out of her speech than the fact that a handful of complete tools hated it, we could start moving things in a better direction ourselves.

Hanson

Registered
Reaction score

Yes, my initial thoughts also.

Still, it may well be an effective way to highlight her speech, whether intentional (unlikely, but not impossible) or otherwise.

emax100

Banned
Reaction score
As for her speech, I thought she made one of the most effective cases of feminism in a long time, but it would be nice of her to explicitly call out the nations that are truly lagging behind in women's rights on any discernible level - for example these nations, which I likely already noted before in this link previously: http://www.feministezine.com/feminist/international/Ten-Worst-Countries-for-Women.html

I might be the only one here, but I do think explicitly calling out nations like these and others, including India, numerous North African and Sub Saharan nations, the Middle East sans Israel, would have made it even more effective. IMHO, that would have made this women's equality speech a perfect 10.

Last edited:

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
I might be the only one here, but I do think explicitly calling out nations like these and others, including India, numerous North African and Sub Saharan nations, the Middle East sans Israel, would have made it even more effective. IMHO, that would have made this women's equality speech a perfect 10.

I think a good reason for not doing so is it could send the implicit message "oh, we weren't singled out, so we're doing fine" to the nations not called out.

emax100

Banned
Reaction score
I think a good reason for not doing so is it could send the implicit message "oh, we weren't singled out, so we're doing fine" to the nations not called out.
That is a fair point and so it would probably need to balanced with making note of the fact that indeed all 195 nations in the world could be doing something better when it comes to creating gender equality. I agree with you there however I do think that pretending they are all on some equal footing would amount to a sort of feel good thinking that is completely not based in reality. I think a balance would need to be struck.

Mclesh

It's too hot
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.storyrhyme.com
The backlash, if anything, has brought more attention to the cause. I just watched her UN speech because friends are sharing it on Facebook because of the controversy.

Feminists: We're very threatening. :e2shrug:

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
On an irrelevant note, is it possible to be shocked, but not surprised?

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
The threat of nude photos is laughable.

Stop talking, you girl, or we shall shame you with the revelation that you have lady parts and that under your clothes you are naked! Shame! Shame!

Opty

Banned
Reaction score
Yeah, this is a stupid non-story and yet another example of why CNN is a pathetic joke.

One douchebag on 4chan says something dumb and somehow that's a "backlash"?

It's not a backlash by any stretch of the imagination but that story certainly is ridiculous clickbait.

dfwtinman

Cubic Zirconia in the rough
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I assume the photo thing came up because... we recently had a bunch of stars whose clouds got hacked and whose new photos were leaked.

I saw where an interviewer at George Washington Univ. couldn't find anyone who could name a beheaded journalist, but virtually all could name a star with a recently posted hacked nude photo. What this says about us (universally speaking) isn't terribly flattering.

C.bronco

I have plans...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cynthia-bronco.blogspot.com

Yay!

If our government does not repond to terroristic threats, neither should we or anyone else.

Why target a smart young lady who has an opinion that is worth consideration? I hope she does not pay any attention to the threat, whether they have pictures or not. They are counting on a reaction from her to gain notoriety, and she should not grant them that benefit.

Reaction score
Second star on the right and on 'til morning.
Website
atsiko.wordpress.com
I saw where an interviewer at George Washington Univ. couldn't find anyone who could name a beheaded journalist, but virtually all could name a star with a recently posted hacked nude photo. What this says about us (universally speaking) isn't terribly flattering.

I think part of that could be blamed on the fact that most people were already familiar with the actresses/celebs but not some random journalist. If part of your head is already devoted to Jennifer Lawrence or Kim Kardashian, it's easy to remember they had a nude photo leaked than to create a whole new headspace for Sotloff. That's just how the brain works.

But I take your point.