A Homemade Approach to Unemployment

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
Come and bake it.
Texas is enjoying a burst of entrepreneurship after enacting laws that let anyone turn a home kitchen into a business incubator. Under “cottage food” laws, people can sell food baked or cooked at home, like cookies, cakes and jams, if it’s deemed to have a very low chance of causing foodborne illnesses. Crucially, cottage food laws exempt home bakers from having to rent commercial kitchen space.
Although the article claims 1000 new businesses, the number may be substantially higher.
An exact number of just how many of these operations have sprung up is rather hard to come by. Since Texas does not issue permits or licenses for cottage food production operations, the state does not have a precise way to track them. However, anyone who wants to operate a cottage food business is required to become a certified food handler. In Texas, there are at least two organizations that offer courses specifically designed for cottage food: Texas Food Safety Training and Texas A&M AgriLife Extension. Between the two of them, over 1,400 individuals have purchased and completed courses over the past year. Given that cottage food entrepreneurs can also comply with the state’s regulations by taking a general food handler course, the true number of home baking businesses may be even higher.
Food safety, often stated as the reason for prohibiting these businesses, has proven to be a non-issue to date.
After contacting both the Texas Department of State Health Services (DSHS) and environmental health departments for the 25 largest cities and counties in Texas, the Institute for Justice found no complaints regarding foodborne illnesses from a cottage food business.
Two states not often in sync are among the best when it comes to home cooking businesses.
In a rare nexus of agreement, both California and Texas—widely considered polar opposites on the political spectrum—have some of the better cottage food laws in the nation. Lawmakers in both states overwhelmingly voted in favor of easing restrictions on selling food made at home.
The movement has found support from a wide variety of people.
The local food movement “transcends so many of the typical categorizations and boundaries,” noted Judith McGeary, Executive Director of the Farm and Ranch Freedom Alliance and a driving force behind liberalizing home baking in Texas. “Whether people are passionate about personal liberty, the environment, human health, local economic development or any one of a dozen other important issues,” she added, “they can find benefits in the local food movement.”
Would you buy home-baked goods at a farmers’ market, roadside stand or county fairs?

heza

Registered
Reaction score
Would you buy home-baked goods at a farmers’ market, roadside stand or county fairs?

I often take home-baked goods wherever I can find them.

But yes, I've bought brownies and cookies at both markets and fairs. I haven't bought them at a roadside stand, yet. (ETA: Unless you count children set up at tables outside the grocery store.)

Ergodic Mage

Neophyte Writer
Registered
Reaction score

Compared to FDA approved
  • GMO foods without labels.
  • Chicken breasts the size of turkeys.
  • Ractopamine pork that other countries won't import.

Karen Junker

Live a little. Write a lot.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.CascadeWriters.com
I think there's a pretty good chance that a few of these home food cooks do not always follow food safety regs -- and some percentage of them will have cats (or ferrets or whatever) that climb onto their cooking surfaces when they don't know it. Or maybe even when they do.

All you have to do is watch the cooks in a fast food place for a few minutes to see how often they touch their hair, nose, face, and then work with food (without washing their hands). The only way I can eat food that I haven't supervised or cooked myself is to force myself not to think about it.

When my first husband was a chef, he often told stories about what they'd done that night to the food before serving it -- everything from spitting on it to stomping on it on the floor. I consider that reasonable grounds for divorce.

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, I would buy these baked goods. I once used to buy tamales from a woman who sold them on the street, from a bucket she carried. "Tamales" and "two dollars" seemed to be all the English she knew. I would watch for her on the street so I could buy them, they were so good.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, I would buy
these baked
goods. I once

used to buy tamales
from a woman who
sold them on the street,
from a bucket she carried.

"Tamales"
and "two dollars"
seemed to be all
the English she knew.

I would watch for her
on the street
so I could buy them,

they were so good.

emax100

Banned
Reaction score
This is one of those things that I think many Texans love about their state, their freedoms when it comes to business and property rights. And why they really do not like the idea of their state becoming another NY or California when it comes to regulations and business and property rights. I suspect that even many Texans who are not Perry or Santorum type conservatives are legitimately terrified of their state becoming another New England, NY or California because of this.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
This is one of those things that I think many Texans love about their state, their freedoms when it comes to business and property rights. And why they really do not like the idea of their state becoming another NY or California when it comes to regulations and business and property rights.

Except in this case, California has the same regulations, or lack thereof, as Texas.

I suspect that even many Texans who are not Perry or Santorum type conservatives are legitimately terrified of their state becoming another New England, NY or California because of this.

I'm sure New Yorkers and Californians would be equally terrified of their states becoming another Texas.

Last edited:

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
I think there's a pretty good chance that a few of these home food cooks do not always follow food safety regs -- and some percentage of them will have cats (or ferrets or whatever) that climb onto their cooking surfaces when they don't know it. Or maybe even when they do.

All you have to do is watch the cooks in a fast food place for a few minutes to see how often they touch their hair, nose, face, and then work with food (without washing their hands). The only way I can eat food that I haven't supervised or cooked myself is to force myself not to think about it.

When my first husband was a chef, he often told stories about what they'd done that night to the food before serving it -- everything from spitting on it to stomping on it on the floor. I consider that reasonable grounds for divorce.
So it sounds like homemade food is going to be as safe as anything people would buy in a restaurant, if I'm understanding you correctly. Apparently that's been the case, considering there have been no complaints regarding foodborne illnesses from these businesses. I guess that's actually a better track record than the restaurants and fast food places have racked up.

Also, considering these are primarily one-person businesses where the owner relies heavily on their reputation, I'd guess they're probably at least as careful as the average minimum-wage fast food or restaurant worker, and quite likely a lot more cautious.

Last edited:

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Except in this case, California has the same regulations, or lack thereof, as Texas.

It was in Santa Cruz, CA, where I bought those tamales.

I'm sure New Yorkers and Californians would be equally terrified of their states becoming another Texas.

More terrified.

raburrell

Treguna Makoidees Trecorum SadisDee
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rebeccaburrell.com
This is one of those things that I think many Texans love about their state, their freedoms when it comes to business and property rights. And why they really do not like the idea of their state becoming another NY or California when it comes to regulations and business and property rights. I suspect that even many Texans who are not Perry or Santorum type conservatives are legitimately terrified of their state becoming another New England, NY or California because of this.

I have no doubt some are terrified. Legitimately, not so much.

More on topic, for the most part, I'd still be a little wary of consuming roadside muffins (for example), but that's me. (I have no idea what someone put in them). I don't see a problem with allowing it though. It's certainly common elsewhere - Morocco is pretty famous for their roadside stands, though you could certainly pick up something nasty there as well.

Karen Junker

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.CascadeWriters.com
Yeah, Don -- I think they're about as safe if not more safe than a restaurant.

My biggest issue though -- they might not include all ingredients on a label.

A friend and I tried a sample of some juice at a local store -- there was a big sign with all the ingredients. My friend's throat immediately started to swell, even though nothing was listed that he was allergic to -- and the maker of the juice finally said, "It's just in a coconut water base" which was not listed and to which my friend had a serious allergic reaction.

I recently developed a reaction to peppers -- and some spices have peppers in them, without listing them as an ingredient. Lots of cheeses do. Etc. Etc.

Jamiekswriter

USA Today Bestselling Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jkschmidt.com
I go to a weekly farmer's market in Connecticut during the summer to sell my handcrafts. Our bakers have to have a proof that the goods were made in an "industrial kitchen". It's some kind of state permit. We used to have "non industrial kitchen" people bring in baked goods and they were well loved and always sold out. No one ever got sick. However, the state cracked down. An inspector came by one week and gave a warning that anyone who didn't have a permit by next week would be fined. We had one chef, who was selling homemade soup (bagged) out of a cooler. Corn chowder, butternut squash, OMG so good. He never came back :( -- even though he worked at a restaurant. Maybe he was afraid the owner wouldn't let him moonlight. Anyway, one of our bakers owned a restaurant, so it was no problem for them to show their permit. The other one had to go through the whole process of getting her kitchen certified. Which was a pain in the ass as I remember. We had to go a few weeks without her scones. But now she has it and I guess it opened up a lot of doors for her to start selling in other venues.

heza

Registered
Reaction score
More terrified.

I don't know. Texas Pride is a pretty big deal.

Don said:
Also, considering these are primarily one-person businesses where the owner relies heavily on their reputation, I'd guess they're probably at least as careful as the average minimum-wage fast food or restaurant worker, and quite likely a lot more cautious.

I think most of the cottage food businesses I've seen are selling heirloom recipe food or food made from their own ingredients (small organic farmers selling preserves and such), and I think there's a certain inherent sense of pride in that. I don't think it's just being careful because of reputation (though, no doubt, it's on their minds). I think their hearts are more invested in it.

The way I see it, any bug you can get from homemade food, you can pretty much get at a restaurant. And homemade food is generally made from better ingredients than a lot of mass-produced food we think it's fine to eat. When I buy something homemade, it's a fair bet it's made with the same stuff I've got in my own pantry.

I've never gotten sick from eating baked goods. I have gotten food poisoning from restaurants.

Karen Junker said:
My biggest issue though -- they might not include all ingredients on a label.

It's a risk. I also feel like it's a risk with any food that requires labeling—I hear lots of stories about how companies have gotten around label requirements. Often, though, if i suspect a baked good could have something in it that I don't want, I do quiz the maker—that's a plus: he/she is right there to answer questions, usually. Do they have to be honest? No.

Last edited:

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score

I don't think these cottage food operations should be on the same level as restaurants. But I'm not certain of that.

I think restaurants are more concerned with speed and efficiency of delivery, where a cottage operation will tend to focus elsewhere. By the time that an operation grows big enough to be more like a restaurant, it's likely using commercial facilities anyway.

I think.

Magdalen

Petulantly Penitent
Registered
Reaction score
S . . .

And very, very likely to have cooked the food with love, an important ingredient that's seldom included at a chain restaurant - so there's always that.

Anybody read "Like Water For Chocolate" lately?

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
Why would they cook it with love? It's electricity (or gas or wood) fueling those ovens.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
I think most of the cottage food businesses I've seen are selling heirloom recipe food or food made from their own ingredients (small organic farmers selling preservers and such), and I think there's a certain inherent sense of pride in that. I don't think it's just being careful because of reputation (though, no doubt, it's on their minds). I think their hearts are more invested in it.

And very, very likely to have cooked the food with love, an important ingredient that's seldom included at a chain restaurant - so there's always that.

Anybody read "Like Water For Chocolate" lately?
Yeah, I probably should have specifically mentioned pride or love of the process or something like that, but that's all tangled with reputation for me.

I love the process of woodworking and take pride in my craftsmanship as a woodworker, but seeing it through someone else's eyes adds something really special. I love doing the work, but without an audience to appreciate it, it's not nearly so sweet. I guess you could say my reputation feeds both my heart and my sense of pride and accomplishment.

Writers with novels buried in bottom drawers can probably appreciate what I'm talking about.

Last edited:

Karen Junker

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.CascadeWriters.com
I do remember 20 some years ago, a friend made food for events (the food was made in her own, unlicensed, kitchen and transported to the events). One weekend I agreed to help her cook for the royal court at an SCA crown tourney. Within 12 hours, everyone who ate the food (including my friend and me) was violently sick from food poisoning. I'm sure it was from poor refrigeration and bad sanitation -- the site was using portable toilets and there were no hand-washing stations -- we were making do with hand sanitizer, but apparently that was not good enough. I think of this every time I pass a food truck.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
I'd eat baked goods, or something fried, with reasonable confidence, most places. Stuff like preserved food, only if I knew the maker and had seen the inside of their kitchen, and trusted both.
Dryish or recently well-cooked stuff, okay. Wet and gloppy, not so much. Ever notice that a lot of fair-ground food is fried? Junk food: for your safety.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score

So much more terrified.

I don't know. Texas Pride is a pretty big deal.

I think most of the cottage food businesses I've seen are selling heirloom recipe food or food made from their own ingredients (small organic farmers selling preserves and such), and I think there's a certain inherent sense of pride in that. I don't think it's just being careful because of reputation (though, no doubt, it's on their minds). I think their hearts are more invested in it.

The way I see it, any bug you can get from homemade food, you can pretty much get at a restaurant. And homemade food is generally made from better ingredients than a lot of mass-produced food we think it's fine to eat. When I buy something homemade, it's a fair bet it's made with the same stuff I've got in my own pantry.

I've never gotten sick from eating baked goods. I have gotten food poisoning from restaurants.

It's a risk. I also feel like it's a risk with any food that requires labeling—I hear lots of stories about how companies have gotten around label requirements. Often, though, if i suspect a baked good could have something in it that I don't want, I do quiz the maker—that's a plus: he/she is right there to answer questions, usually. Do they have to be honest? No.

The idea of eating stuff from some random person's kitchen I've never seen is not appealing in the least. I've seen, as above, workers in restaurants and delis doing things that gross me out. Hell if I'd believe people at home are all better.

As to the 'stuff in my own pantry,' I know people who use lots of things I wouldn't, and probably vice versa, so I don't know that's comforting either.

New York, because it does require stuff be produced in a commercial kitchen, has a number of large, commercial kitchens that people can rent space in by the hour or day or whatever. They allow people to be able to work in a spacious, certified environment, for a low cost, to try out a business like this, without having to incur the costs involved in converting their own spaces.

I'd think other places with similar laws have similar spaces.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, most foods if you get them hot enough for long enough and serve right away are safe. I think shrimp might be an exception.

I think with fish and shellfish, most of the trouble is storage before cooking: too long, too warm or both. Don't eat it if you get even a hint of 'bad fish' smell. I think it's worse with small creatures like shrimp, there's so much more surface area exposed, and they're all cuddled up together with moist nooks and crannies for the bacteria to multiply.

Last edited: