Jeffco Colorado - Teacher's "Strike"

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
If you're in Colorado, you've heard about this "strike". Teachers at Standley Lake High School and Conifer High School in Jefferson County, Colorado called in sick on Friday over contract disputes and disputes over the curriculum.

On the right, we have the usual red-faced, angry conservatives crying "foul" about teacher's income. (Because these "strikes" are always about teachers wanting "cushy" high-paying jobs.) Lots of anti-union rhetoric and posting of "average salaries in Jeffco" (55k). And not a single mention about what's really going on.

The curriculum, for Advanced Placement History, attempts to white wash history to erase any evidence of historical strife and instead call for only teaching about patriotism, the free market, obedience to authority and respect for individual rights.

Curriculum Proposal Can be found HERE:

Theories should be distinguished from fact (everything scientific is a theory). Materials should promote citizenship, patriotism, essentials and benefits of the free enterprise system, respect for authority and respect for individual rights. Materials should not encourage or condone civil disorder, social strife or disregard of the law. Instructional materials should present positive aspects of the United States and its heritage. Content pertaining to political and social movements in history should present balanced and factual treatment of the positions.

Maybe it's just me, but isn't the U.S.A. here today because of good old fashioned rebellion? And civil disorder? Keep in mind that this newly created board is a very conservative one.

At least the Koch brothers aren't involved . . . oh . . . wait . .

Education policy is now a major site of direct and proxy political power struggles in Colorado, as elsewhere. It’s no surprise. Public education is a vast government project, a source of great cultural power and also a market-sector where billions of dollars flow, paying for teachers, administrators, counselors, buildings, books and lunches and so on. As with health care and energy, education has become an area of public policy where powerful free-market interests are looking to rally grassroots Americans to their cause, which is why groups like the oil-billionaire Koch brothers-funded Americans for Prosperity are now launching issue campaigns and promoting position papers and backing local school board candidacies with the kind of money that used to be reserved for legislative or even statewide races. Observers are understandably wary — of the policy proposals being put forward but also of the motives of the would-be reformers.

My thoughts as a college educator is that instead of embracing the multi-dimensional/multi-cultural elements of our society, they're trying to coerce these kids at a younger age. I imagine they've pretty much given up on infiltrating the majority of universities across the nation--that tend to lean toward a more culturally diverse curricula.

But who knows. Maybe I'm just paranoid. :)

clintl

Represent.
Registered
Reaction score
The AP curriculum is run the College Board. They can't just change the curriculum and expect the students to pass the test at the end of the year.

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
At least the Koch brothers aren't involved . . . oh . . . wait . .
Lol. That's not evidence of anything, just a lame rant at some left wingy website.

I'm not saying there's no involvement on the part of AFP with the specifics here, but that article doesn't offer any evidence whatsoever in this regard. It's just some random ranting, barely held together with some less then well-researched facts.

And by the way, who are "the usual red-faced, angry conservatives"? Inquiring minds and all that.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
he seeks to match the shit in his special toilet chair with what comes out his mouth in hopes of achieving blowhard singularity.

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
Lol. That's not evidence of anything, just a lame rant at some left wingy website.

I'm not saying there's no involvement on the part of AFP with the specifics here, but that article doesn't offer any evidence whatsoever in this regard. It's just some random ranting, barely held together with some less then well-researched facts.

Research will connect the dots here. This is pretty standard (almost cliche) rhetoric coming from the Koch camp. (And yes, I find the one article a bit "ranty" as well.

And by the way, who are "the usual red-faced, angry conservatives"? Inquiring minds and all that.
Locals on the radio (Colorado no longer has any left wing talk shows thanks to Clear Channel), television, news. Newspapers. My Facebook feed blew up with my right wing pals getting extremely upset about "rich teachers" who "have summers off" now "bitching for more money" and..... "unions are the devil."

Nothing about this crap curriculum. I also know people who went to the board meeting to argue against white-washing history. (Not to mention the comments about "scientific theory as just a theory BS" which I do not doubt is a means to get creationism into the science classroom.)

Colorado really is an odd state politically. While we tend to vote statewide democratic (though not always) there are pockets of extreme right: Colorado Springs and Focus on the Family. I didn't think JeffCO was more conservative, but perhaps I was wrong.

Last edited:

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Jefferson County has had pockets of staunch conservatism for decades; I had family living there from 1973 to 2005, so I got to hear all sides. But as other populations either don't vote out of apathy or intimidation, deciding votes are cast when the old conservatives, the more-zealous members of 'Quiverfull' movements who indoctrinate their large families, and the corporate stooges take over.

ShaunHorton

AW's resident Velociraptor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shaunhorton.blogspot.com
Theories should be distinguished from fact (everything scientific is a theory).Materials should promote citizenship, patriotism, essentials and benefits of the free enterprise system, respect for authority and respect for individual rights. Materials should not encourage or condone civil disorder, social strife or disregard of the law. Instructional materials should present positive aspects of the United States and its heritage. Content pertaining to political and social movements in history should present balanced and factual treatment of the positions.

Funny. I thought I was living in the United States of America, not China or North Korea...

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
Funny. I thought I was living in the United States of America, not China or North Korea...

just because you excel in geography doesn't mean you know squat about naming your gun "thomas jefferson" because jesus says to do so...

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
Research will connect the dots here. This is pretty standard (almost cliche) rhetoric coming from the Koch camp. (And yes, I find the one article a bit "ranty" as well.
My point is, that research needs to be there to make the statement that the Koch brothers (or anyone else) are involved in this specific situation.

Maybe they are, maybe they aren't. Again, random spiels from the internet aren't good enough, they're not evidence of anything unless they come along with some actual evidence.

People pick at sources around here all the time, be the source FoxNews, MSNBC, the DailyMail, MediaMatters, or various partisan "think tanks." WTF is "AddictingInfo"? From what I've seen there, it's every bit as bad as RedState. It's just a big ol' partisan hack blog site.

But I digress...

c.e.lawson

Registered
Reaction score
I wish I had more concrete info about the changes in the curriculum. It's too difficult to make a judgement on the paltry info in the few articles I've seen. But it doesn't seem to be only about the curriculum. Bolding mine.

Prichard added there are many differences between the teachers and conservative-leaning members of the school board. At the top of the list: a proposed change to the AP History curriculum that would "promote citizenship, patriotism" and "not encourage or condone civil disorder, social strife or disregard of the law. Another concern was newly-approved pay raises that would be tied to teacher performance.

Ah. Now things make a bit more sense. A walk-out seems pretty drastic for a curriculum issue. And it's against the law.

Whoops, forgot to put my source:

http://www.9news.com/story/news/edu...son-county-school-district-sick-out/16033145/

Last edited:

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
Why does that make sense? Because teachers are only in it for the money? Sose we don't care what kind of ignorant slop the school board wants us to pour down the throats of the future proletariat? How dare teachers give the future worker classes ideas about rebellion? It will only cause them to grumble against their betters. ce, do you honestly think that actual class room performance has anything to do with merit raises? Merit raises go to the teachers with the brownest noses, the ones in perfect lockstep with the establishment parade. Good teachers turn out questioners not lock steppers. --s6

Last edited:

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
I wish I had more concrete info about the changes in the curriculum. It's too difficult to make a judgement on the paltry info in the few articles I've seen. But it doesn't seem to be only about the curriculum. Bolding mine.

Ah. Now things make a bit more sense. A walk-out seems pretty drastic for a curriculum issue. And it's against the law.

Whoops, forgot to put my source:

http://www.9news.com/story/news/edu...son-county-school-district-sick-out/16033145/

It wasn't a formal walk-out. Instructors called in sick.

Raises being tied to performance has been around since NCLB was inducted.

It is a drastic issue. I know 2 instructors who teach in Jeffco who said this is a hot-button issue right now with the curriculum. But it's hard to argue against it when people are always jumping to the conclusion that teachers are all about earning those uber bucks. There's more here.

My point is, that research needs to be there to make the statement that the Koch brothers (or anyone else) are involved in this specific situation.

Maybe they are, maybe they aren't. Again, random spiels from the internet aren't good enough, they're not evidence of anything unless they come along with some actual evidence.

People pick at sources around here all the time, be the source FoxNews, MSNBC, the DailyMail, MediaMatters, or various partisan "think tanks." WTF is "AddictingInfo"? From what I've seen there, it's every bit as bad as RedState. It's just a big ol' partisan hack blog site.

But I digress...

Fair point on the article. Will move on from that.

Last edited:

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
Like Crasters, I'm living this right now. My SIL is a Jeffco teacher.

Let me tell you, those teachers sure are living high on the hog with their massive pay and exhorbitant raises every year.
:rolleyes:

The pay portion of the dispute is:
1) Not the reason the teachers staged their sick out. They knew they weren't getting into it to get rich.
2) Not about making big bucks, or objecting to performance-based pay.

The portion of the new pay structure that Jeffco teachers object to is that after they hit some pre-defined "market value cap" then, no matter their performace, education or tenure in the district, they would not get pay increases. Never mind the fact that in order to maintain their licenses, they are required to take college credits at their own expense. Even as they pay to take classes that will improve their job performance, once they hit that cap, the best they could do would be a 1% annual performance bonus.

If I got no raise and only a 1% bonus every year, I wouldn't be negotiating for anything. I'd be gone, baby, gone. And I haven't invested nearly as much time and education into my job as most teachers.

Here's something the conservatives refuse to believe. School teachers care about educating children. That is their #1 priority. Not sick time, or summers off. They're not raking in massive pay and bonuses while just providing goverment-funded babysitting for the children of parents who don't care enough to invest in home school or private school.

Until I was a junior in college, I was going to be a math teacher. Then, I spent a semester working in a middle school.

You couldn't PAY me enough to do that job. Not $40K/year, not $60K/year, not $250K. No freakin' way.

And yet, every day, my son goes to middle school and someone teaches him math. He comes home with a new way of calculating decimels that even I, as a mathematician, wouldn't have thought of. And it works. And he loves math. I could never make a kid love math.

That's a kind of magic that takes a special person. If that special person thinks they're worthy of an annual raise that covers the cost of living plus a bit to compensate for the other things they have to do just to continue delivering that magic, then let's give it to them.

How about we cut the Jeffco Superintendent's $280K salary by 10% and give a few teachers a cost of living adjustment? He got $40K in performance pay, or 18% of his base salary, and yet capped teachers will only be eligible for 1% no matter how great they are.

Yup. Greedy teachers.

c.e.lawson

Registered
Reaction score
Why does that make sense? Because teachers are only in it for the money? Sose we don't care what kind of ignorant slop the school board wants us to pour down the throats of the future proletariat? How dare teachers give the future worker classes ideas about rebellion? It will only cause them to grumble against their betters. ce, do you honestly think that actual class room performance has anything to do with merit raises? Merit raises go to the teachers with the brownest noses, the ones in perfect lockstep with the establishment parade. Good teachers turn out questioners not lock steppers. --s6

I certainly didn't mean to upset or insult shakey or any of our dedicated teachers here at AW. Nor did I mean that teachers are in it only for the money. I come from a family of teachers. After years of teaching, my dad was an elementary school principal in a poor part of L.A. Unified School District, yet still taught catechism classes each week at our church because he loved to teach; my uncle was also a principal; and my aunts were teachers. I know the love and dedication teachers pour into their work, and I know the school day lasts far beyond 3:00 dismissal and runs into weekends, etc., and how much time grading and lesson planning takes. I don't know how teachers have the energy to not only show up for work, but to inspire and engage students all day long, students who for the most part would rather be somewhere else. I definitely agree teachers should be paid more. And I also agree that the superintendent's salary is ridiculously high, compared with teachers' salaries.

But this sick day seemed like a drastic measure for the curriculum which hasn't been voted on yet. Only the pay raise stuff has already been voted on, so to me, that made more sense to be the main impetus for the sick day.

It's one class, and it's a class in which the teacher can extend the discussions in ways which they see fit. AP classes teach kids to analyze and interpret the data, and theorize. My daughter just finished AP European History last year, and analysis was a huge part of the class. How can analysis and critique only be positive? The measure is asking for "balanced and factual treatment". Balance must include positive and negative.

And to be perfectly honest, as a conservative myself, I just don't find that paragraph describing the curriculum as so terrible. That's why I said I wanted more details. But regarding what's there -- Patriotism? Fine. Essentials and benefits of the free enterprise system? Great. Respect for authority and respect for individual rights? Wonderful. And the rest of it here?
Materials should not encourage or condone civil disorder, social strife or disregard of the law. Instructional materials should present positive aspects of the United States and its heritage. Content pertaining to political and social movements in history should present balanced and factual treatment of the positions.
It just doesn't sound objectionable to me, although I'd like to understand more what "civil disorder" means. And simply because instructional materials should present positive aspects doesn't automatically mean negative aspects cannot be presented as well.

Can some people be reading too much into this? For example, I highly doubt that the more negative aspects of American history will be left out, as a petition for MoveOn.org says:

Jeffco Public School Board has just proposed a change of curriculum stating that, "Materials should not encourage or condone civil disorder, social strife or disregard of the law. Instructional materials should present positive aspects of the United States and its heritage." This means that important parts of our history such as the Civil Rights Movement, Native American genocide, and slavery will not be taught in public schools. If these important lessons are not taught, children will not learn from them, and what will stop them from happening again? This is a severe form of censorship intended to keep the youth ignorant and easy to manipulate. I'm hoping to get enough signatures to prove that this is a public issue, so, please, if this is important to you, please sign. Do not let our youth grow up in ignorance; we all deserve the truth

There is just no way that these major issues mentioned above will not be taught. If that is truly the case, then I will protest along with you all.

I also don't know enough about merit-based pay programs, or this particular one, to comment further on that aspect, though shakeysix's point is well-taken that brown-nosing can influence things depending on how things are being measured. Still, it seems to me that some sort of reward-based distinction for the best teachers might be a good thing? My husband is a physician for a large company, and docs there do get bonuses based on both objective measures of use of resources as well as patient satisfaction surveys. It seems to work well for both the docs and the bottom line of the company. (And the patients - the quality of care there is quite high.)

It does bother me that I haven't seen any evidence of teachers being a true part of the debate/discussion with the school board about curriculum. Are teachers formally involved in these discussion with the school board?

Edited to Add: OK, I just read through Myrealana's explanation of the pay issue. Yes, that sounds unfair! It's like docs and Medicare. (Although we get cuts over time, not just a plateau.) So yes, it makes sense to me that teachers would be very concerned about the pay issue.

Last edited:

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
But this sick day seemed like a drastic measure for the curriculum which hasn't been voted on yet.
Before its voted on is the ONLY time for effective protest. Once it's entrenched in the curriculum, that shit's there's to stay.

It's one class, and it's a class in which the teacher can extend the discussions in ways which they see fit.
Not, potenitally, if the teacher's pay is tied to meeting performance metrics which include NOT teaching about conflict and civil disobedience.

For all conservatives like to say they value independent thought, this curriculum proposal looks an awful lot like indoctrination.

Larry M

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Here's something the conservatives refuse to believe. School teachers care about educating children. That is their #1 priority. Not sick time, or summers off. They're not raking in massive pay and bonuses while just providing goverment-funded babysitting for the children of parents who don't care enough to invest in home school or private school.

Thank-you (from this elementary school teacher.)