The Unabashedly Tasteless, Making-fun-of-Thugs-n-Terrorists, Losing-Our-Heads thread

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
SYDNEY (AP) — Counterterrorism raids in Sydney on Thursday were sparked by security intelligence that the Islamic State movement was planning a random, violent attack in Australia as a demonstration of its reach, the prime minister said.

Australian police detained 15 people and raided more than a dozen properties across Sydney in the country's largest counterterrorism operation, saying intelligence indicated an attack was being planned on Australian soil.

Prime Minister Tony Abbott said he had been briefed on Wednesday night about the operation that was prompted by information that an Islamic State movement leader in the Middle East was calling on Australian supporters to kill.
Abbott was asked about reports that the people detained were planning to publicly behead a random person in Sydney.

"That's the intelligence we received," he told reporters. "The exhortations — quite direct exhortations — were coming from an Australian who is apparently quite senior in ISIL to networks of support back in Australia to conduct demonstration killings here in this country."
http://bigstory.ap.org/article/5631...rrests-made-australian-counterterrorism-raids

dfwtinman

Cubic Zirconia in the rough
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
"an Islamic State movement leader in the Middle East"

a/k/a the Queen of Hearts

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
rejected thread titles:

aussie anti-terror agents get cutthroat to avoid cut throat

choppers deployed chop-chop to stop chop

agents activate to castigate those who would decapitate for caliphate

Last edited:

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
choppers deployed chop-chop to stop chop in chip shop chop shop
chip shop chip in ship to ship chop shop chop chop-chop
chop-chop chip shop chop drop ship chop shop chop
chop-chop chop chop chop-chop choppers

Fixed your post

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
The threat seems plausible to me. The jokey thread title considerably 'too soon'.

Kind of torn here. The joke was (imo) in poor taste (not the first in P&CE, won't be the last), but not nearly so much as the threat and the groups ongoing actions. So, intended or not, it makes a point.

The story also begs another question -- is England sharing with Australia the name of the headline grabbing beheading Brit?

Last edited:

ShaunHorton

AW's resident Velociraptor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shaunhorton.blogspot.com
Actually, pretty sure a severed head has the same taste as a connected one, it just doesn't have anywhere to send what it tastes afterward. Nor does it have the ability to relate that taste to anyone else.

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
I've never really cared for the taste of tongue. Or maybe it's the texture that puts me off.

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
it doesn't get much darker than the subject of the OP.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
Actually, pretty sure a severed head has the same taste as a connected one, it just doesn't have anywhere to send what it tastes afterward. Nor does it have the ability to relate that taste to anyone else.

nobody wants your opinion. show your work.

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
I am not sure how much the Australian government can do about a threat to kill a person at random. It's a huge country, absolutely anyone in it could be the victim, and the group could easily switch gears and use a different murderer if their original plan goes awry. If they don't care about targeting a particular victim, and they're willing to potentially sacrifice themselves to make the point... well, that's hard to prevent.

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, humor probably is the way to go. I'd feel more funny if they had been more than fifteen kilometres away, and if I thought this was the end of it.

Still, there must be a good "not getting head" joke somewhere.