PDA

View Full Version : Copyright

Finchlark
09-18-2014, 01:51 PM
Hi, hope it's okay to post this here. Some years ago (about 20) I bought a pastel painting and I would like to use it for a cover for a book. I can't find any prints of the picture, so think it's just the original. Also tried to find the artist but no joy. Can I use this picture?

I've tried searching the answer on the web but it's ambiguous.

Buffysquirrel
09-18-2014, 02:13 PM
This really needs an IP lawyer to answer.

EMaree
09-18-2014, 02:28 PM
As Buffy said, an IP lawyer is needed.

Gut instinct is no, though. You didn't paint the art. You didn't buy reproduction/commercial use rights. Purchasing a piece, even an original, doesn't give you those rights.

robjvargas
09-18-2014, 04:28 PM
Since we're online, where IP can have multiple meanings, I'll agree with Buffysquirrel and EMaree and also point out that, in this case, IP = Intellectual Property.

veinglory
09-18-2014, 06:24 PM
As it stands, most likely: no. Owning the physical painting does not give ownership of the copyright. You would need to identify the artist to know where you stand.

Finchlark
09-18-2014, 06:40 PM
Thanks everyone. Back to the drawing board - so to speak :-)

jjdebenedictis
09-18-2014, 10:06 PM
Thanks everyone. Back to the drawing board - so to speak :-)If you know someone talented and within your price range, you could ask them to use the painting as inspiration to make something similar.

They can't make an obvious copy, or even copy-and-tweak it, but you could direct them to mimic the painting style and colour scheme, but have a different layout of objects/people in it.

Jamesaritchie
09-18-2014, 10:44 PM
If something has a copyright, then someone owns that copyright, and you need to buy the copyright, or the specific right to use it for something, or the answer is no.

Finchlark
09-19-2014, 02:42 PM
Thanks, guys.