Copyright

Status
Not open for further replies.

Finchlark

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.finchlark.webs.com
Hi, hope it's okay to post this here. Some years ago (about 20) I bought a pastel painting and I would like to use it for a cover for a book. I can't find any prints of the picture, so think it's just the original. Also tried to find the artist but no joy. Can I use this picture?

I've tried searching the answer on the web but it's ambiguous.

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
As Buffy said, an IP lawyer is needed.

Gut instinct is no, though. You didn't paint the art. You didn't buy reproduction/commercial use rights. Purchasing a piece, even an original, doesn't give you those rights.

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
Since we're online, where IP can have multiple meanings, I'll agree with Buffysquirrel and EMaree and also point out that, in this case, IP = Intellectual Property.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
As it stands, most likely: no. Owning the physical painting does not give ownership of the copyright. You would need to identify the artist to know where you stand.

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. Back to the drawing board - so to speak :)
If you know someone talented and within your price range, you could ask them to use the painting as inspiration to make something similar.

They can't make an obvious copy, or even copy-and-tweak it, but you could direct them to mimic the painting style and colour scheme, but have a different layout of objects/people in it.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
If something has a copyright, then someone owns that copyright, and you need to buy the copyright, or the specific right to use it for something, or the answer is no.

Status
Not open for further replies.