Dealing with angry fans

Status
Not open for further replies.

ghost

Hey, that's my bike!
Registered
Reaction score
I want to make it clear that I'm not complaining. I'm just looking for advice on how to deal with certain types of fan mail.

A bit of background. I signed a two book series of what turned out to be a trilogy. I was given a very high advance. The first two books did very well, but not to the degree that paid out the advance. The publishers made the decision to not publish the third.

I can live with that. This isn't final and when people email me about the third novel, I tell them that I do have plans for finishing the third and self-publishing it eventually.

Meanwhile, I signed a two book deal on two stand alone books. This is fantastic. It allows me to continue writing and supporting my family.

This is where the problems have begun. I get emails and messages from people calling me all sorts of things. How dare I leave readers in the dark. How dare I go off and write something else. I'm getting bad reviews on the new book because of this too.

It bothers me because I don't want to make the publishers look like the enemy either. It was their decision and I don't fault them for it. Business is business.

Any advice?

VeryFairy

I'm not a fairy.
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry about that, no advice from me except just keep writing. If you said you do plan to write the third book, what else can you do? No one can do anything instantly, even your fans should know that, it will come when it comes.

You're lucky to have fans though :)

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Sometimes readers forget that the author is not their bitch. Look at the problems GRR Martin has had.

Just keep writing.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If it were me, I'd do one of two things:

1) No response of any kind, either personal or general (such as a blog), or

2) A light-handed response saying you, too, were disappointed that sales did not justify the publisher backing the third novel but that you do intend to finish it for self-publication--as soon as you've completed the books under contract which buy your family socks and oatmeal.

In general, just pretend they didn't behave like spoiled children who felt it within their right to make demands of you and call you names.

Maryn, big girl

slhuang

Inappropriately math-oriented.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.slhuang.com
Sorry this is happening. :Hug2:

Other than ignoring reviews, the only thing I can think of that might mitigate things is to make the information as publicly available as possible? Like, have a FAQ on your website about it, maybe put a note in your author bio on Amazon that says something like, "Note to fans of the *** series: The third book has hit a logistical delay, but it WILL be published. I appreciate your patience while we sort it out" or something? If you have a mailing list, you could say, "Sign up for this mailing list to get an email when it's available."

Your fans should never be saying awful things to you regardless, of course, but I know as a fan, if I've been waiting for the next book forever....and forever....and forever....and I visit an author's website and I see the explanation (even if that explanation is that it's NEVER coming), I then say, "Oh, okay" (with maybe a sad face if the series got dropped entirely). Whereas if it seems like the author has just disappeared, or has forgotten about the series, and I don't know what the status is, it makes me way more crazy: "But -- the next book in X! Where's the next book in X! I DON'T UNDERSTAND!" Heh. (Not that I would ever be abusive toward an author for it, of course! And that is, again, inexcusable. But you might be able to head off some of that by communication? Not that you should have to, but maybe it'll help. :()

Anyway, just a suggestion.

ghost

Hey, that's my bike!
Registered
Reaction score
And that is what I've been doing.
I don't pay much attention to reviews. I fully accept and embrace bad reviews. I belong to the 'can't please everyone and why would I want to' club.

I've repeated myself hundreds of times to fans about my intentions towards the third book. Sometimes it does get frustrating. My agent suggested I don't make a blanket statement because it could be counted as being negative towards the publishers. And I agree, that is not my intention at all.

I very much want to finish the series. I want to know what happens too. haha But at the same time, I have to focus on the books I'm being paid to write. I need the income!!!

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Harry Connelly (sp?) had to do this with his 'Twenty Palaces' urban fantasy novels, after Del Rey killed the incomplete series - after picking it up in either a pre-empt or at auction, and with a lot of fanfare. He went on to self-publish.

You don't owe the readers anything but you could do a calm, rational blog post or FAQ explaining the situation.

There's a saying: 'We are responsible for those we love, not those who love us.' You can ignore the more trolling complainers, and try to enlist the kinder ones as your self-pub street team.

ghost

Hey, that's my bike!
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry about that, no advice from me except just keep writing. If you said you do plan to write the third book, what else can you do? No one can do anything instantly, even your fans should know that, it will come when it comes.

You're lucky to have fans though :)

I consider myself so lucky to have people this passionate about the stories I write. It's one of the greatest feelings in the world.

And at the same time, I feel very guilty for letting them down, even though I know the circumstances are beyond my control. I think that is some of the problem to why I let this get to me so much.

ghost

Hey, that's my bike!
Registered
Reaction score
Harry Connelly (sp?) had to do this with his 'Twenty Palaces' urban fantasy novels, after Del Rey killed the incomplete series - after picking it up in either a pre-empt or at auction, and with a lot of fanfare. He went on to self-publish.

You don't owe the readers anything but you could do a calm, rational blog post or FAQ explaining the situation.

There's a saying: 'We are responsible for those we love, not those who love us.' You can ignore the more trolling complainers, and try to enlist the kinder ones as your self-pub street team.

That is the wonderful thing about self-publishing. It gives the author another chance to get the story out. I wouldn't have the same reach as I would with bookstores, but that's not really the point when it comes to the final book in a trilogy.

Rebekkamaria

Pixie with dust, beware
Registered
Reaction score
I think you're approaching the matter graciously, and all you can pretty much do is persevere.

If some of your fans can't see that you're a person who needs income to feed your family and that you're not their personal slave, then I think it's more their problem than yours. If you've already stated that you're going to self-publish the third book that should be enough for them. Maybe you could put a sticky post on your website/blog about it, though (not a blanket statement but just a general message about finishing the book as soon as you can and self-publishing it).

It's quite awesome that you have fans and that you were able to get other books published after not getting the third of your series out. And I think you're accepting the faith of the third one really well. :) Good luck.

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
If I'm understanding this right, you're waiting for each fan to email, then replying to the email telling them what's up. I agree with others about putting a statement on your website. Don't set it up so people see nothing, get upset, and then email... have the message where they can all see it and pass it around. It's far easier to stop upset by getting in quick with the information before they get worked up, than trying to calm them down afterwards. You don't need to be nasty about the publisher. Just state the facts, as you have here.

As for your agent, if there's a problem, point out not having a public statement means you're getting bad reviews on your latest books. It's not actually helping anyone to not have a public statement.

slhuang

Inappropriately math-oriented.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.slhuang.com
I agree with Polenth. I think you can definitely make a nice communicative statement without throwing your pub under the bus. :) As you have here!

And:

I've repeated myself hundreds of times to fans about my intentions towards the third book. Sometimes it does get frustrating.

I'm guessing not to the same fans, though, right? I think maybe this is what a blanket statement would help with?

I mean, it sounds like even people politely inquiring are making you guilty and upset at this point (it sounds like?), but if there's no public information available I can totally understand a fan sending a (polite!) message asking if the series will be completed or if they should stop waiting and watching. And if even those people are upsetting you at this point, then some better method of communication than individual emails seems to me like a really good idea. :)

Just my 2 cents, talk it over with your agent and such.

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I felt the wording slhuang proposed had nothing in it that could be interpreted as a comment about the publisher, so why not put something like that in an email autoresponse? "If you're wondering about book three, here's the scoop as far as I have it: bla bla logistical delay bla bla will publish soon as possible bla bla thank you."

No?

ghost

Hey, that's my bike!
Registered
Reaction score
If I'm understanding this right, you're waiting for each fan to email, then replying to the email telling them what's up. I agree with others about putting a statement on your website. Don't set it up so people see nothing, get upset, and then email... have the message where they can all see it and pass it around. It's far easier to stop upset by getting in quick with the information before they get worked up, than trying to calm them down afterwards. You don't need to be nasty about the publisher. Just state the facts, as you have here.

As for your agent, if there's a problem, point out not having a public statement means you're getting bad reviews on your latest books. It's not actually helping anyone to not have a public statement.

No, that's not what I'm saying.

Funny enough, no one ever asks this question on my website. They ask in Twitter, Facebook and Goodreads. On all three sites, I have repeatedly answered the questions in public.

I'm not complaining about having to repeat myself. I'm asking how to deal with the anger involved when they hear the answer. Or in this case, the reader noticed I have new books coming out and didn't bother to read the Facebook page to find out why.

ghost

Hey, that's my bike!
Registered
Reaction score
I agree with Polenth. I think you can definitely make a nice communicative statement without throwing your pub under the bus. :) As you have here!

And:

I'm guessing not to the same fans, though, right? I think maybe this is what a blanket statement would help with?

I mean, it sounds like even people politely inquiring are making you guilty and upset at this point (it sounds like?), but if there's no public information available I can totally understand a fan sending a (polite!) message asking if the series will be completed or if they should stop waiting and watching. And if even those people are upsetting you at this point, then some better method of communication than individual emails seems to me like a really good idea. :)

Just my 2 cents, talk it over with your agent and such.

Oh I get the same fans too. "You answered me in June, but it's Sept now and I want the book! I've been waiting forever!"

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
If you get caught in a conversation, online or otherwise, where the other party is being rude--it is appropriate to disengage.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
Maybe forward the letters to the publisher ?
If fans want the follow-up the publisher might be interested to know that.

Difficult situation to be in. Complimentary and at the same time annoying. Just how things go sometimes.

Don't let it rile you.

LOTLOF

Registered
Reaction score
This will sound a bit cold, but all you can do is ignore the messages and delete the emails.

You have said yourself that you have signed a two book deal that is bringing in money for your family. This is your profession and you are allowed to prioritize your own financial well being above the petty wishes of fans. I know we need readers to be able to make a living at writing, but that does not mean we are beholden to them when it comes to deciding what we work on.

If you have already stated on your blog or website you intend to complete the trilogy and self-publish it eventually, that should be enough. If some insist on pestering you about it let it be their issue and not yours.

George R R Martin is a primary example. He is constantly pestered by fans about when the next book is coming out. But he works on his schedule not theirs. Just do what works best for you.

RedWombat

Runs With Scissors
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ursulavernon.com
If you've got a public post that you can point people to about why it isn't happening, that's about all you can do. (If you don't, make such a post! And link people to it!)

Beyond that, not a damn thing you can do, really. People are...well, people.

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
A similar thing happened with my first series. It took 7 years after the eighth book to convince the publisher there was still a fan base to justify resurrecting it. What helped in the meantime to satisfy fans was to answer one or two of the burning questions via short stories in anthologies. Depending on your genre, there are usually one or two anthos in production with one publisher or another. If you hear of someone putting one together, simply contact the editor at the publisher, introduce yourself, and explain that you think a story in their antho would result in a lot (or at least a fair quantity) of sales. Nothing an editor likes better than guaranteed sales! It got me several sales to well respected anthos, and the publisher of the series didn't mind, because it introduced the older books to new fans. :)

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
No, that's not what I'm saying.

Funny enough, no one ever asks this question on my website. They ask in Twitter, Facebook and Goodreads. On all three sites, I have repeatedly answered the questions in public.

I'm not complaining about having to repeat myself. I'm asking how to deal with the anger involved when they hear the answer. Or in this case, the reader noticed I have new books coming out and didn't bother to read the Facebook page to find out why.

I went to look at your website, and I couldn't find a statement about the books. I checked the pages for each of the books and the news section. What was obvious was the promotion for the new book, but the old books look like they've been dropped based on the arrangement of the site. I'd assume there was no book three on the way.

If I wanted to ask you a question, I'd use the Twitter or Facebook links. The forum and blog went off site, so those are nofollows for me. Guestbooks aren't a good place for questions. I'm not sure what was going on with the contact page, as I didn't see any text on it. So Twitter/Facebook it is. It doesn't surprise me if most of your questions come through these routes, as they're the most obvious and accessible on the website.

So I went to your Facebook page, and the 'About' is talking about upcoming books in 2012.

After looking at that, I stand by my original advice. I don't think most people are going to check your previous replies to individuals before they ask you. They'll check the main information areas, see no mention, and think the book isn't happening. You won't cut out all questions with a central statement, but you will cut out a chunk. And you'll have a link to add elsewhere (like your Facebook 'About') or to use in replies, with the best worded version of the response you can come up with. You're actually less likely to say anything really bad if you stick to one edited version, than if you're replying to people as you go.

I know you don't think this is advice on dealing with angry people, but it is. Removing most of them before they get angry cuts down the stress a lot. And their big issues are they couldn't find the information (and might well have gone through several sites before they found out there was nothing to find) and they were standing next to you when they found out (as they had to ask directly). Having a statement on a page means they'll find the answer quickly and it distances you from their initial reaction.

The ones that are left, you can either give the link to your central statement or ignore. If they're abusive, ignore. If they're not good at finding stuff, link. The only further comment is to say you'll update the page as soon as you know more. No lengthy conversations with each individual. Repeating yourself is a problem, because that's just going to leave you drained and unhappy.

If they need anything else, they can go stroke a kitten. That's not your problem.

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
You know, when I read the title of this post, my first thought was, "You have fans? Cool!" :)

I know it's unpleasant and frustrating to have people behave this way, but it is a symptom of a very good thing -- you have an audience who is passionate about your work.

ghost

Hey, that's my bike!
Registered
Reaction score
You know, when I read the title of this post, my first thought was, "You have fans? Cool!" :)

I know it's unpleasant and frustrating to have people behave this way, but it is a symptom of a very good thing -- you have an audience who is passionate about your work.

Absolutely! And I want to keep them passionate at all costs!

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Agree with those who suggested a statement on your website. No need to go into specifics or even why, just a statement saying "The third book will be out in blah blah. Mailing list here. I sooper dooper appreciate the interest! Confetti and lurve for everyoooone!"

Status
Not open for further replies.