PDA

View Full Version : If you find a discussion thread about pirating your book...

Perks
09-13-2014, 05:42 AM
Would it be bad form to join the forum with my real name just to post on that thread something like, "Yeah, I hear that's a great book."

Or is this akin to the Author's Big Mistake?

Marian Perera
09-13-2014, 05:49 AM
I know K. J. Charles joined such a board to say that was her book which was being offered for illegal download. She was very nice about it, and although they deleted her post, they also took her book down (for now).

kuwisdelu
09-13-2014, 06:02 AM
I think that much, or even asking to please buy the book if you like it (and leaving it at that), is fine.

I think joining to start an argument or debate would be a big mistake.

Becoming defensive if anyone replies with comments you don't like would also be a mistake.

Polenth
09-13-2014, 06:41 AM
My answer to most questions of this nature comes in a series of questions. What do you want the action to achieve? What is actually likely to happen from this action? Does that match the goal?

Is your goal to get the pirated copy removed? If it's a site that cares about copyright, like a Wordpress blog, the action most likely to achieve something is contacting the site/host directly. If it's a pirate site, they'll ignore you or send an abusive response. They use legal loopholes to get away with it, and if the big players can't get around it, us minions have no chance.

Is your goal to make them feel bad and stop pirating your book? Not going to happen.

Is your goal to get some abusive responses? If it's this one, go for it, because it's the most likely response. The issue here is it's hard not to reply when people attack you directly, and that could easily lead to an author meltdown.

Is your goal to get your post deleted? Also a possible, if they have strict moderation.

All round, I don't see what you have to achieve by it.

jjdebenedictis
09-13-2014, 07:22 AM
Is your goal to make them feel bad and stop pirating your book? Not going to happen.Not necessarily true, depending on how you present yourself and the specific people who are talking about the possibility.

If you're talking to dyed-in-the-wool pirates, yeah. Nothing good will come of that. Send a DMCA takedown notice and try to not engage beyond that.

However, if you're talking to some ho-hum-I-already-spent-my-allowance thirteen-year-olds who haven't really thought the matter through to the conclusion that a real live human being (not a faceless corporation) gets hurt by their action, then maybe you could get somewhere with them. You'd have to be super-polite and gentle, but some people are receptive to a real, live human being personally asking them to be considerate.

Liosse de Velishaf
09-13-2014, 07:31 AM
Just contact the site asking them to take down the piracy. Nothing else is likely to achieve anything useful.

Perks
09-13-2014, 07:46 AM
Oh, I wasn't going to engage them at all. Certainly not to try to appeal to them to buy my book or to shake my finger at them about downloading. I just thought it would be funny to see what they said to me, if anything, if I showed up in their thread.

I wasn't going to be a jerk about it, or worse - a preacher.

Samsonet
09-13-2014, 07:49 AM
Not useful, but I do like the idea of maybe possibly causing them a milisecond of shame and/or reflection. Unlikely, yeah, but I can dream...

Moldy
09-17-2014, 12:38 AM
Would it be bad form to join the forum with my real name just to post on that thread something like, "Yeah, I hear that's a great book."

Or is this akin to the Author's Big Mistake?

I think it would be funny and show you have a sense of humor. Being caught might actually make them feel guilty; especially if you're showing that you're a nice/funny person and just cracking a joke instead of lecturing them.