Get on me if I'm sitting there with my thumb... well you know

Status
Not open for further replies.

SenorSativa

Registered
Reaction score
Hello!

I joined AW about a week ago, and don't visit these forums too much. I need to get my post count up so I can eventually share my stuff, so I figured I'd share my goals here. I know they say don't bump your post, so I'm not sure if I'm allowed to edit my progress in, but I find that the added pressure of updating something keeps me working a little harder towards my goals. I'll edit this post with current progress without bumping w/ replies; if I'm not allowed to do that, please let me know mods.

My Goals:

1)Develop/find my voice as a writer.
2)Take writing from a hobby to a viable careeer
3)Finish a query-ready draft before I go back to school.
4)Get a blog/website going to post the non full works on.

How I'm achieving it:
1) One writing prompt on /r/writingprompts every day.
2) Writing and revising my WIP.
3) Reading books, screenplays, and everything I can get my hands on from as many different perspectives as possible.
4) Providing feedback on other's WIP.

About my WIP:

I got this idea 3 years ago, and it really started to grow my writer's itch. I wrote a chapter back then, and wrote a couple versions of Ch 1 and 2 over the past 3 years. I just started making somewhat serious progress this past week and I want to keep it going.

The story is about a recent college graduate who goes on the time-honored crucible of traveling to find themselves. Along the way they meet a man called Jay, a drug-fueled social outcast who is the greatest writer nobody's ever heard of. Together, they travel the countryside in a drug-fueled haze exposing the problems with modern US society in dramatic fashion.

It should end up between 90k-110k words.

Where I am:

I started out with an outline and some bits and pieces.

9/11 - I started seriously writing about a week, maybe a week and a half ago. I'm just over 6,600 words so far, I've finished Chapter 1 and am most of the way through Chapter 2.

9/13 - I pulled an an all nighter on 9/11 and broke 10k. Wasn't able to write on 9/12, but am getting back to it today! I intend to reach my first goal, writing the first 'peak' of the story arc. Had this scene in my head for quite some time.

9/15 - been a slow couple of days. I'm nearing 12k words though!

If you see me wasting time on IRC, get on me for wasting time please! I'm always looking for feedback and opinions on what I have written. I can't post anything on here, but PM me if you would be willing/want to read any part of my WIP and I'd be happy to send a bit or all of it to you.

Last edited:

wampuscat

Recovering adjective addict
Registered
Reaction score
Good luck, and welcome! Congratulations on re-discovering your inner writer.

Have you heard of NaNoWriMo? Something like that might help give you motivation.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Best of luck!

(BTW, it's okay to respond to other people's posts; that doesn't count as bumping.)

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

SenorSativa

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for all the support! As to the wompuscat or whatever the name was, I have heard of NaNoWriMo, I participated last year and got to about 20k words or so, but it was through making like 4 chapter 1 and 2's :s. I'm thinking I'll try to get my novel to a point that I can finish it during nanowrimo.

Status
Not open for further replies.