• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Need betas

Status
Not open for further replies.

CathleenT

I write
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, I'm looking for beta readers for my novel Hans and Greta. It's a retelling of Hansel and Gretel, set in the Thirties in southern California. The core of the novel is how they survive abuse and abandonment. The only hitch is that it's 157k. I've gone through multiple times looking for pleonasms, extraneous subplots, and I've tried hard to cut scenes without conflict. It'd be awesome to get another 10k out of it, but even if you just wanted to read it and tell me what worked and didn't for you, I would appreciate the feedback. I've been through it enough times recently that I seem to have reached the end of what I can do alone.

Also, if you pick it up, you should know it has strong religious content, both positive and negative. It's completely character-driven; there's no sermons, but religion is both part of their problem and part of their solution. It's not the biggest or most important part of the book, but if I cut it all, I would have to tell a different story.

The first chapter is posted on SYW here: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=295765

I'm happy to reciprocate, but I don't read erotica or Romance. I could read two of your novels if they're shorter than mine. Examples of my crit style are in SYW in SF, historical, and mainstream. I think I take criticism fairly well, so you don't have to worry about handling me with kid gloves.

Please PM me if you're interested.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.