Does A YA Science Fiction Need to Be Bonkers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

justlukeyou

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

I heard that Legend by Marie Lu is going to be made into a movie. I went onto Wiikipedia and read the plot which comes across as bein absolute bonkers.

Does a YA science fiction need to be bonkers for it to be popular?

Like in Twilight where a human plays baseball with a group of vampires?

Amadan

Banned
Reaction score
Of "non-bonkers" popular YA SF?

We could start with Heinlein and move forward through the decades to Rowling, Pullman, and Collins.

thwaitesyellow

Registered
Reaction score
It might be helpful for you to explain what you mean by "bonkers." All variants of SF and F require some willing suspension of disbelief - we all know that in the REAL WORLD vampires don't exist (I hope...), much less playing baseball. The plot of Twilight isn't "bonkers" to me, at least: Girl and boy meet, but there are obstacles to them getting together because he's a vampire. Is that what you're talking about?

I haven't read Legend, but just looking at the cover and reading the synopsis it seems to fall into this dystopian YA subgenre that's popular right now (like The Hunger Games).

justlukeyou

Registered
Reaction score
I would say a young boy who has to crash through the middle wall a train platform to get to school is a bit bonkers.

Amadan

Banned
Reaction score
I would say a young boy who has to crash through the middle wall a train platform to get to school is a bit bonkers.

Okay, exclude fantasy then - that still leaves my other examples. What do you mean by "bonkers"?

justlukeyou

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry, I got frustrated. I tried to write a book without planning it out. Then I read the plot to Legend (and others) and realised how unimaginative my book is. So I tried to write a plot which is alot more imaginative with alot more going on but I wouldn't know where to start to write it.

Amadan

Banned
Reaction score
Sorry, I got frustrated. I tried to write a book without planning it out. Then I read the plot to Legend (and others) and realised how unimaginative my book is. So I tried to write a plot which is alot more imaginative with alot more going on but I wouldn't know where to start to write it.

You can write a perfectly good book that is devoid of vampires, dystopias, or boy wizards. To be popular, a book needs to be interesting and well-written - the speculative elements are not the recipe for success, just the spice.

justlukeyou

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I really like the basis of the book I am trying to write but the story and plot keep changing constantly. I don't know to stick to one plot!

Reaction score
Second star on the right and on 'til morning.
Website
atsiko.wordpress.com
The whole point of speculative fiction (horror, sci fi, fantasy, etc) is that it contains elements that don't really exist in our world. You could interpret many of those things as "bonkers".

There's actually a lot more YA fantasy than sci fi. Off-hand I can only think of a very few modern sci fi books in the YA market, the most well-known probably being Across the Universe by Beth Revis, Cory Doctorow's Little Brother, and the re-marketed version of Ender's Game. None of those would I personally qualify as bonkers. Most of the rest I can think of are dystopian sci-fi: The Giver, Uglies, and obviously Legend, as you mentioned.

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
justlukeyou:

While others have tried to give useful responses to your question, in essence as near as I can determine your original post was to trash/demean YA SF because of your own frustrations with your writing. That is not cool.

Ask productive questions that will help you figure out a path forward in your own struggles. Don't just slam other authors and/or an entire genre in hopes of feeling vindictated.

If I have read your intent wrong, please feel free to PM me and discuss. In the meantime, closing this thread.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.