Glossary and Pronunciation Guide

Conte Remo

Registered
Reaction score
Have any of you fellow SciFi/Fantasy novelists ever included an appendix with a pronunciation guide or a glossary of terms? If so, I'd love your help! I want to know:

1) How they should be formatted (alphabetical, whether there should be parentheses around the pronunciations, etc)

2) Whether these supplemental materials should be included in a manuscript you send to an agent/publisher

My assumption was that the appendix should be included in the table of contents of the full manuscript, but correct me if I'm wrong.

Ideally, the book itself will explain these things on its own, but I think a guide would be a nice cheat sheet if nothing else, especially in the case of pronunciations.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
I have all that stuff in my story bible, but I never bothered to send it when I queried my debut (an erotic romance space opera). Not did my publisher or agent ask. When some readers made confused noises at the ensemble cast and settings, I adapted a limited glossary and put it on my blog. That way, interested readers can find it, without the glossary adding length to an already-big book.

I alphabetized my entries, and used a simple capital-letters-for-emphasis format on pronunciation, figuring that would be easiest on my readers.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Second star on the right and on 'til morning.
Website
atsiko.wordpress.com
I have all that stuff in my story bible, but I never bothered to send it when I queried my debut (an erotic romance space opera). Not did my publisher or agent ask. When some readers made confused noises at the ensemble cast and settings, I adapted a limited glossary and put it on my blog. That way, interested readers can find it, without the glossary adding length to an already-big book.

I alphabetized my entries, and used a simple capital-letters-for-emphasis format on pronunciation, figuring that would be easiest on my readers.

I think a vast majority of readers would prefer something like this.

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Glossaries may be helpful for readers if you have a lot of specialized/invented terminology. (If long, consider keeping them on a website.)

A pronunciation guide is pretty useless, though. If your names/words are spelled in a way that your readers CAN pronounce them, they'll pronounce them however they want regardless of what your instructions may say. If they're not spelled in a way that suggests a pronunciation to the reader, they'll either make up their own pronunciation anyway or skip over it altogether (& just recognize the name by sight, replace it with something they like better, or ditch the story and read something else that's more user-friendly).

The pronunciation guide, IOW, is for the author's benefit, not the reader's.

JustSarah

Registered
Reaction score
Website
about.me
I usually write that first. It was mainly when I wrote science fiction, because I was inventing my own technologies. Mostly technical terms in uncommon usage. This way I don't have to explain what something is. As in reading over my old work, I've come to realize stop to explain the joke sort of makes it less funny.:/

And yes, I would keep in on my website.

Last edited: