Desert Island TV and Movies

richcapo

Knight Templar
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you, KarmaPolice, for the idea.

Here's the idea: You're stranded on a desert island and can only bring five television programs and five movies. All others will be wiped from existence. Which do you bring?

My of the top if my head choices:
TV
The Office (UK)
Battlestar Galactica, Seasons One to Three (Season Four is an abomination)
Freaks and Geeks
Any nightly news program
Sesame Street

MOVIES
The Exorcist
The Shawshank Redemption
Zelig
Star Wars (even though I don't like it -- this is for posterity)
Toy Story (never saw it; wife made the choice)

Last edited:

KarmaPolice

Registered
Reaction score
I think a few 'House Rules' are in order. Thinking...

1/ You can't request an open-ended program. So no 'EastEnders', 'News at Ten' or the like. However, long-runners with clearly defined series like Doctor Who, The Simpsons or Lost are allowed.

2/ You're allowed to request a show which hasn't yet finished.

3/ Each request covers one film or show. Therefore, a request for 'Star Wars' will require you to say which film. A request for 'Star Trek' will require you to say which show or film. However, you can request multiple films/shows from the same franchise - so you could use all five choices to pick all the Star Trek shows, if you so wished.

4/ When you request a show, you don't get the remakes, spin-offs, 'spiritual successors', shows that have different local versions (like The Office) or cross-overs between film and TV.

5/ You may get the 'reboot' if it's reconisably the same program as before - such as Bevis & Butthead, Doctor Who and Family Guy. However, if it's diverged significantly in plot / style (such as Battlestar Galatica) it counts as a different program.

6/ Each request is fufilled perfectly - the Doctor Who's have the 'lost episodes' from the 60's, the Monty Pythons have the censoring removed, the Bevis & Buttheads have their music videos brought back etc. In effect, all programs are exactly how the makers intended. However, if the extras only got as far as a script, you don't get that.

williemeikle

The force is strong in this one.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.williammeikle.com
TV

X-Files
Blackadder
Sherlock Holmes ( Jeremy Brett version )
Deadwood
The Avengers

Film

Quatermass and the Pit
Zulu
The Thing
The Maltese Falcon
King Kong ( 1933 )

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
1) How to make a boat and sails out of sand.
2) How to sail a boat made of sand.
3) Basic navigation lessons for boats made of sand.
4) Stargate SG-1
5) Stargate Atlantis