What would you do?

brs18041

Registered
Reaction score
Let's say you've had an agent for almost a year. Here's how that's gone:

- You chose the agent over several other agents who offered you rep.
- You haven't gotten a book deal yet. You've had several rejections, but haven't nearly exhausted all possible editors yet. You have the list of editors who have seen your MS.
- Your agent is unreliable. Radio silence is the norm. She says she's going to do something by a certain date, and doesn't.
- Your agent is intimidating. She's condescending on the phone, abrupt via email, and never answers all your questions. When you bring up any concerns, she gets defensive.
- Your agent has only made a few book deals in the past year, and none in your genre.
- You're working on a new project, but still want to submit the first MS to publishers because that's how confident you are in it.

What would you do?

Last edited:

Kayley

Someday.
Registered
Reaction score
It's possible you're SOL on the first book, because you won't be able to resubmit to the editors your agent has already contacted; however, you might have some luck with the other editors. It sounds like you dislike your agent, though, so I'd recommend having a discussion with her about how you feel. You may find it's better to break off your relationship and find another agent whose methods and experience fits better with your goals before doing anything else.

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
I might be okay sticking with an agent that was less communicative IF the sales were there. But if she doesn't seem to be selling in your genre AND she's unresponsive and borderline rude, I would say it's time to part ways.

brs18041

Registered
Reaction score
It's possible you're SOL on the first book, because you won't be able to resubmit to the editors your agent has already contacted; however, you might have some luck with the other editors.

Do you mean individual editors or the imprints themselves? I've always been confused about this... I know you can't resub to the same person, but is the whole imprint out?

Thanks!

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

The whole imprint is out if the book went through the editorial/publishing board. If just the one editor saw it, you can usually try other editors at that imprint.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Quickbread

Registered
Reaction score
Somewhere between the beginning and the end
Sorry to hear about the frustrations, brs. Regardless of how this manuscript turns out, it sounds like you and your agent don't click. That's a more concerning issue because it impacts the long-term. Since it sounds like you've talked to her about her working style, and things haven't changed, they probably won't.

If you wouldn't feel comfortable and eager having this agent rep your new manuscript, it doesn't make sense to let her even begin working with it. If it were me, I'd consider ending the relationship when there's an opportunity to make a clean break, and then re-approach the other agents with the new manuscript. The new agent could always advise you on the first manuscript once they're on board for the second. Or, if you aren't very far along with the new one, it might be worth re-approaching the other offering agents with the first one.

Last edited:

brs18041

Registered
Reaction score
If you wouldn't feel comfortable and eager having this agent rep your new manuscript, it doesn't make sense to let her even begin working with it. If it were me, I'd consider ending the relationship when there's an opportunity to make a clean break, and then re-approach the other agents with the new manuscript. The new agent could always advise you on the first manuscript once they're on board for the second. Or, if you aren't very far along with the new one, it might be worth re-approaching the other offering agents with the first one.

Oh I definitely don't want her touching the new MS. But I hate the thought of having "wasted" the first MS, which I truly believe in, and having to get through the entire process of finishing the new one (these things don't happen overnight :)) to give any hope to the first. There are so many more viable options out there for it.

Re-approaching the other offering agents is interesting. I've kicked myself so many times for my decision. I wonder if they would want to take it on a year later after I rejected them...

Karen Junker

Live a little. Write a lot.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.CascadeWriters.com
My thought is that IF an agent wanted to rep your book once, they may still want that -- even if you had chosen another agent. I think they'd understand -- if you do part ways with your agent, be sure to get a detailed list of who's seen it so you can pass that on to your new agent.

JanetReid

Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
You'd be surprised how many times authors come around after a year with the agent they chose instead of someone else. Sometimes things don't work out.

If an agent loved your work, they still are interested in you. The big question is how shopworn the novel is now.

Very best wishes (unless I am the agent you're talking about of course!)

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
Personally I would need to weigh up how good the person is at their job against how I feel about them. But I worked in government for a very long time, so I'm used to working with people I despise but who I know are brilliant at what they do. Sometimes you just have to suck it up and be professional about it.

That said, if you feel that they AREN'T good at what they do - and from what you said about the lack of communication, missed deadlines etc I would certainly be questioning things - the you need to consider if you can still work with them or if you would be happier with someone else.

Sometimes professional relationships just don't work out.

Captcha

Banned
Reaction score
What made you chose this agent in the first place? Are those strengths still there, or have they gone?

If there's no strengths and a lot of weaknesses... the path seems clear.

Did you sign a contract with her? Was it for her to represent one book, or was there more of a "whole career" approach? What was the wording re. ending the agreement?

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
If the agent really is that unreliable, and is condescending and abrupt, I'd drop that agent without a second thought. Trust me on this, that agent needs you a heck of a lot more than you need that agent.

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score
- Your agent is unreliable. Radio silence is the norm. She says she's going to do something by a certain date, and doesn't.

- Your agent is intimidating. She's condescending on the phone, abrupt via email, and never answers all your questions. When you bring up any concerns, she gets defensive.

These two would really bother me, particularly the first one. My job involves spending a lot of time making sure everything gets done in a timely fashion and nothing falls through the cracks. My most valuable resources are people who actually do what they say they're going to do or, if there's going to be a delay, let me know so I can adjust the scheduling as necessary.

The second is also cause for concern. You should have an equal and professional relationship with your agent. If the adjective you use is "intimidating," clearly you're not comfortable.

Now an intimidating presence isn't necessarily a bad thing. It could be extremely useful in helping her negotiate contracts. I work with a guy who I'd describe as intimidating and when he bargains with someone, it's incredible to watch. He's the verbal equivelent of a professional boxer. I wish I had skills like that.

If your agent has that skill, though, she should be using it for you, not against you. Intimidation is only useful as long as you can turn it on and off at will. Otherwise it can quickly become a hindrance. My intimidating coworker is also really nice to everyone in the office and a genuinely good guy.

Have you discussed any of this with your agent? Not threatening to leave or anything, simply explaining that you have some concerns and seeing how she responds?

Last edited:

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Personally I would need to weigh up how good the person is at their job against how I feel about them. But I worked in government for a very long time, so I'm used to working with people I despise but who I know are brilliant at what they do. Sometimes you just have to suck it up and be professional about it.

out.

With an agent/writer relationship, being profession means not putting up with the same kind of things you did at a government job. In this relationship, the agent works for the writer, not the other way around, and there are plenty of brilliant employees out there. If you can get one top agent to represent you, you can get fifty.

I firmly believe an agent and writer must get along well personally. They must like each other, and treat each other with respect, or it will not work, no matter how brilliant the agent might be.

Though, from my experience, I'd be highly surprised if an agent who treats a writer is brilliant, or one of the top agents out there. I've seen a lot of top writers drop agents for far less than this.

brs18041

Registered
Reaction score
You'd be surprised how many times authors come around after a year with the agent they chose instead of someone else. Sometimes things don't work out.

If an agent loved your work, they still are interested in you. The big question is how shopworn the novel is now.

Very best wishes (unless I am the agent you're talking about of course!)

Thank you! That's good to know. Haha no, it's not you, nor any of the other agents who regularly post here.

brs18041

Registered
Reaction score
What made you chose this agent in the first place? Are those strengths still there, or have they gone?

If there's no strengths and a lot of weaknesses... the path seems clear.

Did you sign a contract with her? Was it for her to represent one book, or was there more of a "whole career" approach? What was the wording re. ending the agreement?

I made this massive pros and cons list of all the agents, and it was honestly a toss up, so it was mainly a gut feel thing. Her numbers seemed solid at the time, she had great feedback, and she was super responsive PRE-signing.

I did sign a contract, and upon reviewing it, I think my book's SOL for the next 6 months if I were to fire my agent today. If I get a book deal within 6 months with "any entity with whom [my agent] has submitted [my book]", she is supposed to be compensated. If I knew better at the time, I guess I would have requested "any entity" be more specific. I'm assuming an entity = an imprint?

Jennifer_Laughran

knows what she's looking for when she finds it!
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.andreabrownlit.com
It sounds like you definitely want to leave her so... the first order of business is, leave her. It's not a great idea to agent-shop while you're still represented. So. Clean slate.

Then query your NEW manuscript. Start with the agents who you turned down last time. ("It didn't end up working out, and since you were so enthusiastic before, yours was the first name on my list when I had to hit the query trenches again!" or some such). Also add more agents.

Mind you: You are querying your awesome-tastic NEW manuscript. Then you can add a bit at the bottom like "I also have another [genre/category] which has been gently shopped, [one line about what it is], I'd be happy to share the ms and submission list upon request"

When you get your new agent, they start out with the NEW ms. Shop shop shop. When you get an offer, they might be able to make it a TWO BOOK OFFER, for both (that has happened to me numerous times, where book 1 ends up being book 2) -- or else, they sell the new one, then revisit book 1 separately and figure out where to send it, by which time it will have certainly been 6 months.

ET VOILA!

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Agreed. And Ms. Reid ain't no slouch herself.

Maryn, sure on both

brs18041

Registered
Reaction score
It sounds like you definitely want to leave her so... the first order of business is, leave her. It's not a great idea to agent-shop while you're still represented. So. Clean slate.

Then query your NEW manuscript. Start with the agents who you turned down last time. ("It didn't end up working out, and since you were so enthusiastic before, yours was the first name on my list when I had to hit the query trenches again!" or some such). Also add more agents.

Mind you: You are querying your awesome-tastic NEW manuscript. Then you can add a bit at the bottom like "I also have another [genre/category] which has been gently shopped, [one line about what it is], I'd be happy to share the ms and submission list upon request"

When you get your new agent, they start out with the NEW ms. Shop shop shop. When you get an offer, they might be able to make it a TWO BOOK OFFER, for both (that has happened to me numerous times, where book 1 ends up being book 2) -- or else, they sell the new one, then revisit book 1 separately and figure out where to send it, by which time it will have certainly been 6 months.

ET VOILA!

Thanks so much for the advice.

My next MS is far from done, so it's incredibly disappointing to have to wait so much longer after all this to give the first MS its proper chance. But I guess I better get cranking!