90s TV Revival.

Coreyt0304

Registered
Reaction score
I don't know about the rest of you, but I was a 90s kid, and loved 90s tv. Goosebumps, Seinfeld, Salute Your Shorts, SNICK, TGIF and Power Rangers filled my childhood. Then came the agonizing flood of reality shows, like Survivor, Big Brother, Bachelor, among more than I can name.

I'm not saying they were all bad, but I hated seeing "scripted" TV be replaced by REALITY TV. It just wasn't my thing. So I grabbed on to the few sitcoms, and dramas that were around and were entertaining, i gave up on Nickelodeon and Disney.

But yesterday I noticed something. Something that didn't hit me until now. I was actually watching TV again. Not just one or two shows but a variety of shows. I love watching shows like Pretty Little Liars, Orange is the New Black, Big Bang Theory, American Horror Story and even Girl Meets World. I didn't realize until recently, when I was channel surfing and got watching a Disney Show, Dog with a Blog and realized it wasn't as repulsive as the usual Disney show, I was use to. It was witty, funny, and a little corny. That is when it hit me. What I was watching....WAS 90S TV!

No, it's not literally a show from the 90s, but the style, is there. Witty and a little corny family/kid shows CHECK, A variety of drama tv series that are popular and growing even stronger by the episode...CHECK...Sound familiar?

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
I had the same sensation while watching "Good Luck, Charlie". Suddenly, I had "Step by Step" flashbacks while seeing it.

KarmaPolice

Registered
Reaction score
It's not surprising at all, people. Most of the 'creative' people in TV / Film / whatever are in their 30's / 40's, and when dredging up 'new' ideas for something, will turn back to their memories of what they saw during their childhoods / teenage years - so in this case, the 1990's.

For most people, our knowledge of pop-culture is strongest from those years, as the majority of us then didn't have stuff like kids, jobs etc. which meant we could spend loads of time watching TV, playing computer games and listening to music. It's our mental furniture, and consciously or unconsciously we refer back to it on a regular basis.

To make a point, let's play 'Desert Island TV'. You've got to name 5 TV shows you're going to save from destruction - all the others are going to be wiped. I'd guess that you could guess the age band of a person correctly around 75% of the time simply from that list. (Mine? Daria, The League Of Gentlemen, Futurama, Only Fools and Horses & Black Books.) Hmm... I think you could guess my nationality too...

richcapo

Knight Templar
Registered
Reaction score
To make a point, let's play 'Desert Island TV'. You've got to name 5 TV shows you're going to save from destruction - all the others are going to be wiped.
Off the top of my head:
The Office (UK)
Battlestar Galactica, Seasons One to Three (Season Four is an abomination)
Freaks and Geeks
Any nightly news program
Sesame Street

Mind if I make this a separate thread, KP? I'll give you credit.

Last edited:

KarmaPolice

Registered
Reaction score
Sure, as it's not even my own idea in the first place (Desert Island Discs has been on BBC Radio since the 1940's.)