What is going on in Philadelphia? A whole lot of Civil Forfeiture, that's what.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
So, in many jurisdictions, property linked to criminal activity can be seized by the government. That makes at least in the ballpark of sense. But the city of Philadelphia has grown a money tree, nay - a money grove, from the civil forfeiture process.

The article in Forbes is pretty disturbing.

Under civil forfeiture, property owners do not have to be convicted of a crime, or even charged with one, to permanently lose their property. Instead, the government can forfeit a property if it’s found to “facilitate” a crime, no matter how tenuous the connection.

Here's how much they're doing it in Philadelphia -

The City of Brotherly Love is particularly aggressive in pursuing homes and other real estate. Between 2009 and 2010, Philadelphia forfeited 90 real estate properties. That same year, Allegheny County did not forfeit a single home or piece of real estate. Nor is that year an outlier. Between 2002 and 2012, Philadelphia forfeited 1,172 real estate properties, while the 66 other counties in Pennsylvania forfeited 56 real properties—combined.

The cases are not presided over by a judge or jury, but by a panel of assistant district attorneys and

Incredibly, property owners battling civil forfeiture have fewer rights than those actually accused of committing a crime. Unlike in criminal cases, the government does not need to prove “beyond a reasonable doubt” to prevail. Instead, once prosecutors show merely that there was a link between a property and some alleged criminal activity owners must prove their innocence. Moreover, since these cases are in civil court, owners facing forfeiture do not have a right to an attorney.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Oh, it does. It's just that for some reason, the powers in Philadelphia have gone a bit rabid over it.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Oh, don't worry - we're completely infallible and interested solely in the application of even-handed justice.

Now, move along...

Ha! What was interesting in the article is that the fund from the forfeitures pays their salary.

And the defendants get no lawyer unless they pay for it themselves - which is a huge expenditure, especially when you haven't been accused of a crime or any wrongdoing at all.

It's crazy.

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
Well, class, welcome to Government 203, Lessons Learned from the Drug Wars.

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
Ha! What was interesting in the article is that the fund from the forfeitures pays their salary.

And the defendants get no lawyer unless they pay for it themselves - which is a huge expenditure, especially when you haven't been accused of a crime or any wrongdoing at all.

Or had your assets forfeited.

DancingMaenid

New kid...seven years ago!
Registered
Reaction score
I find this worrying because of how big Philadelphia is. In the past, when I've heard of police and local governments going crazy over civil forfeiture, it seemed like a bigger issues in small towns with less oversight.

Either way, I think it's horrible that it's legal to begin with. No one should lose their property unless the government can prove it was connected to an actual crime (or the person has been ordered to pay restitution after being convicted of a crime).

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
Hmm, who would have ever imagined Jerry Ford was right?
Gerald R. Ford said:
A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
Hmm, who would have ever imagined Jerry Ford was right?

I must have missed the moment when our government was big enough to give us everything we want. When was that?

Is this strictly relevant, anyway? It seems to be a matter of government overreaching with unjust laws rather than government being big.

AncientEagle

Old kid, no need to be gentle.
Registered
Reaction score
I must have missed the moment when our government was big enough to give us everything we want. When was that?

Is this strictly relevant, anyway? It seems to be a matter of government overreaching with unjust laws rather than government being big.
But you don't understand. Big government is responsible for every wrong except those for which Obama is responsible.

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com

But you don't understand. Big government is responsible for every wrong except those for which Obama is responsible.

The point is--which is largely philosophical, imo--that the larger the government, the larger the bureaucracies and the body of rules and regulations that provide such entities with power and authority. Under such conditions, systemic abuses of power will increase. But the growth is often justified as necessary in order to curb injustice, unfairness, and the like.

In the distance, I think I hear Alexander Hamilton enjoying a hearty guffaw...