I am all about the nuts n' bolts questions lately. This one is about reupholstering a chair.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
I have a fairly inexpensive desk chair that I bought from an office supply store a few years ago. It's pretty basic, but comfy. The thing is, it was covered in more a suggestion of leather than actual leather. This is unsurprising given the price, so I'm not complaining.

At this point the right arm pad is in tatters and the lumbar bulge is worn through. It's not a good look and that's not all. I've blown out my adrenals thinking there's a spider on my arm, only to have it be - again - a shred of leather gauze tickling my skin in an errant breeze.

The chair is structurally fine - casters roll, pneumatic lift lifts and sinks as needed, nothing squeaks - but I've never had anything as intricate as this reupholstered. Anyone ever gotten a desk chair reupholstered? If so, did it look good in the end?

cray

Superior Life form
Registered
Reaction score
whatever you do make sure you don't put your phone number on it.

M.S. Wiggins

"The Moving Finger writes..."
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have a fairly inexpensive desk chair...Anyone ever gotten a desk chair reupholstered? If so, did it look good in the end?

If I see any of the guys who took the old ones I left by the road, I'll ask them how their refurbs turned out and let you know.:sarcasm
In the meantime, buy a new chair.:D

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
Sounds like it's time to say good-bye to that particular old friend, Perks. By the time you have it reupholstered and the lumbar support rebuilt, you'll have shelled out the price of a new chair.

AndreF

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Question

Is the chair you have ... does it have arms that can slide back (or swing up)? I have a chair that seems to match that description and the seat's fake leather is peeling off. I too thought about getting it reupholstered but like the others said better off getting a new one. I like it because it has a tall back and leans back too and is so so comfy.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I did! Mr. Maryn's old desk chair was just perfect for him, but its upholstery was shot and stained. I found some really nice fabric in the right color combination and took it off to what was purportedly the best upholsterer in the area.

While the shop did a decent job, it was not like having the chair new again, even though they replaced the foam as well as the upholstery. They showed us how for our chair the upholstery had to have been put on before chair construction, including glue, was complete, and they couldn't replicate that.

Adding labor and materials, it cost nearly as much as a new chair would have, and we considered it money poorly spent.

Mr. Maryn is now using a cheesy office chair from Staples and griping about it. It's hard to find quality desk chairs any more. I may have the last one, and there's a hole in it that's growing...

Maryn, who has a sad