PDA

View Full Version : Cover Template

TheaFair
08-27-2014, 11:14 PM
So, the setup first. I have a lot of 2-3,000 word shorts that I would like to work on publishing. I do the quick writing to help me when I get stuck on other things and they accumulate over time. The genres and subjects vary too much for me to put together a single collection right now. Maybe in the future I'll get enough to do one, but it just seems a shame to sit on some of these right now.

I recently published one 3k story for .99 and it's done moderately well. Surprisingly. It's not going to make me a ton, but enough people have liked it that I'm going to go ahead with my plan to publish the other shorts now, and bundle them together at a later time when I finish enough.

The problem is in the cover for the books. Trying to get individual covers for each story would pretty much eat up any profit I could expect. I was thinking about making a series cover with one image, and changing the text for each story. So I'd have one image for the romance stories and another for the horror. I'm just wondering if this is as good of an idea as I think it is. I can talk myself into and out of things all day. So I'd like a few other opinions before deciding on anything.

SBibb
08-28-2014, 02:55 AM
Well, you could give it a shot and see what happens.

Though, as a side note, be warned that if you use stock, some stock images are only permitted to be used on one product (all ebook/paperback versions, but not multiple ebooks.

There's also some fairly inexpensive premade covers you could purchase, if you look around. Or if you want to do individual stock images, Dreamstime has an option where you can buy 5-10 image a week at a fairly low cost, and it might not be super expensive per book.

Or you can try using one image, then just making it clear each one is a different story. You never know if it works until you try. :-)

TheaFair
08-28-2014, 04:51 AM
I have a few credits with Shutterstock left to use, and was thinking of taking one image from there. I know they dictate that most of the stock there can only be sold a certain number of times. I don't recall seeing anything in their licensing terms about the images only being used once. I have seen that on other sites though. I'm going to have to look over at Dreamstime now, I haven't heard of it before.

I've recently started buying premade covers for my longer works, and they look a lot better than the covers I tried making myself. For these .99 cent ones I'll be trying my hand at it again to keep cost down as much as possible. I just need to remember to keep it simple. Thanks for the advice! I'm going to go ahead and give it a shot. Let it run for a few weeks and see how it goes.

SBibb
08-28-2014, 05:22 AM
I have a few credits with Shutterstock left to use, and was thinking of taking one image from there. I know they dictate that most of the stock there can only be sold a certain number of times. I don't recall seeing anything in their licensing terms about the images only being used once. I have seen that on other sites though. I'm going to have to look over at Dreamstime now, I haven't heard of it before.

I think it does depend on the site. I'm now trying to remember which site it was, but at least one of them does allow for an image to be used on multiple products, so long as it doesn't appear more than so many times.

As for the other ones, I think it can still be used on multiple products (bookmarks, book covers, promo items that are given away, not sold) so long as it's promotional for the initial product. But I may need to revisit those terms and make sure I'm reading them right.

You've got me questioning them now.

Good luck with your covers and stories. :-)

Gale Haut
08-29-2014, 06:53 AM
Probably best to just review the licensing terms they have posted. http://www.shutterstock.com/licensing.mhtml

This might be relevant to you:

20. Stockpile or otherwise store downloaded Images that are not used within twelve (12) months of the date on which you first downloaded such Image. If you fail to use an Image within twelve (12) months from the date of your first download of that Image, you lose all rights to use that Image.

Polenth
08-29-2014, 07:17 AM
The big issue I see is if the genres/themes vary so much, how are you going to find an image that works for every story? You might be better off with a text-only template, where you can alter the colours for the general story feel.

Gale Haut
08-29-2014, 07:36 AM
Random idea. You could purchase an icon pack that depicts different genres and adapt them onto the photo. Sounds like it could be right within your price range without looking terribly cheap.

http://www.shutterstock.com/s/genre/search.html

TheaFair
08-29-2014, 03:16 PM
I can manage to fit the stories into about six or seven categories right now, Polenth. I figure that six or seven images to match those is going to be much cheaper than twenty-five premade covers. I'm going as generic as I can with the images too.

Random idea. You could purchase an icon pack that depicts different genres and adapt them onto the photo. Sounds like it could be right within your price range without looking terribly cheap.

http://www.shutterstock.com/s/genre/search.html

Thanks! I'm going to really have to check that out after work.