On ordering business cards online...

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
I need new card. Does anyone have any recommendation on companies you've been happy with?

Also, I'd probably not include my phone number, since I give these out at conferences and such. Does that seem weird to you?

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
I ordered mine from moo.com and love them. They are on the pricier side, but the cards are really nice and can be customized (e.g., you can buy one pack with different book cover designs on the back). I don't put my phone number on the cards either.

cray

Superior Life form
Registered
Reaction score
i've never seen a business card w/out a phone number, perks.
if you don't have a dedicated business line then would you be comfortable giving your cell number?

or you could give out quickwit's number.

eta: aaaaand there's someone to prove me wrong. no phone number, bubastes?
and good to see you!

iLion

Why do I say these things?
Registered
Reaction score
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvsQ9hYKq7c
I've had cards from Vista Print, and they were extremely well done. I'd suggest not going to a standard printer like Kinko's etc as they charge insane prices and they're no better.

In my opinion, those cards are a blank canvas and should display only what you want to display. If they are for others to contact you then of course you'll need url or email address, if not phone, right?

My plan now is to have two different cards and I'll carry them both. One with my name and full biz contact info including URLs/eMail/Phones etc - and another with only a fictitious name and non-descriptive eMail address.

That second card is for people I'm not totally certain about, but with whom I might want to have another contact, etc. Sometimes I meet people who set off minor alarms in my brain, so I don't want to divulge everything. I give them a pseudonym and "special" email in case I decide to remain anonymous. :) But then, I'm probably an odd one. :)

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I never put my phone number on business cards. I don't like phones being used for talking purposes. I put all my social media information on mine. That's surefire contact...without the phone. I don't have a home phone and I honestly don't think I ever used my smartphone to talk on. I see nothing wrong with that at all.

I have used Vista Print. I've been happy with them for various things from business cards to postcards and beyond.

cray

Superior Life form
Registered
Reaction score
no phone number. who would have thunk it?
kids these days.

RJenn

Registered
Reaction score
I've ordered from Zazzle.com fairly recently. They have a lot of nice options and aren't too expensive. Seems like they usually have promotional discounts running. Delivery was really quick too.

juniper

Always curious.
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
We've used Vista Print for years, for my husband's business. Sift through all the designs - some are cheesy, some are good. May take you awhile to find the right one.

I haven't changed his in a long time, but I remember the design process was pretty easy.

Order ahead of time, though - if you need a quick delivery, the shipping prices can be way expensive.

I have a business card for my *ahem* writing, and it doesn't have a phone # on it. Just email I think. I only give out my phone # to people I really want to have contact with, not just random folks.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
What about photos on business cards? It seems like a good thing to do so that when someone looks at the card, they remember who they took it from and, hopefully, why. But for some reason, I associate pics on cards with real estate agents.

What say you all?

Marlys

Resist. Love. Go outside.
Registered
Reaction score
What about photos on business cards? It seems like a good thing to do so that when someone looks at the card, they remember who they took it from and, hopefully, why. But for some reason, I associate pics on cards with real estate agents.

What say you all?

You can put a picture of your latest book on your card instead of an author photo.

And I second Vista Print. Easy, fast, and cheap.

oceansoul

Registered
Reaction score
I second moo.com - I got my cards from them and they did a wonderfully professional job!

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
Third for moo.com. They do cool shapes, colors, sizes, etc.

The ones I was walking around with at KN were freebies from Vistaprint, from awhile back.

Nothing wrong with not putting a phone number on it. Put the website/blog site address on it. Twitter handle if you're tweeting, Google+ address. Business email address.

A picture would be good. I wouldn't put the book photo on it, unless you're planning to burn through that stack of cards quickly. Otherwise you're handing out a card followed by, "Oh, but here's my new book, too."

K. Q. Watson

Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
I got mine from Staples.

I did a custom card, making the image in Photoshop so I didn't have to use their "Put text here" options. It allowed for complete customization.

Next time, I'm going to try Vista Print, just to try it.

sheadakota

part of the human equation
Registered
Reaction score
I'll 4th for MOO.com- very unique cards, I love mine- you can download your own image or use one of theirs- I don't put a phone number on mine either.

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score

What say you all?

Since a business card is... well... selling you, frankly, I don't see why not. That's why I'd also vote against using a book photo. I don't think that sells you the author. It'd sell your book... maybe. To me, that would seem like an inconsistent marketing message. Is it about the author, or the book?

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
My opinion, have a background. Even a soft pattern.

Can't complain elsewise.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Ha! Sorry. I deleted because it went all fuzzy. The only options for background were hard colors. I'll double check.

Thanks for having a look,though.

iLion

Why do I say these things?
Registered
Reaction score
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvsQ9hYKq7c
Perks - I've seen realtor articles that encourage realtors to use photos on biz cards as they tend to engender a higher degree of trust.

Could be true, unless you happen to look a lot like Charles Manson or some other. But then, the need for increased trust is probably greater for realtors than writers, right? Right?

Last edited: