Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
So, once again I have chased my characters up a tree and thrown rocks at them. Now one has fallen out and broken his leg :)

There's just him and her, his leg is broken (it can be anywhere where a makeshift setting job will ease the pain at least, though I don't suspect unaccompanied walking will be an option!) and she needs/wants to do something because they need to get out of the situation they are in.

So, would she set it (or attempt to) first? Then splint it/find something to use as a crutch? Or just splint it? If she sets it, how does she go about it? She'd have had field first aid training. What would she need to be wary of doing? Pros and cons of setting it?

jclarkdawe

Feeling lucky, Query?
Registered
Reaction score
What part of the leg is broken? Femur? Knee? Tib-Fib? Ankle? Foot? Compound fracture (bone showing)? Displacement of the fracture (bone still where it's supposed to be or moved)?

A non-displaced, closed fracture of the tib-fib is probably the best for you. You take several sticks, strong enough to support your weight, and place them around your calf. Duct tape is good for holding in place. Rope or cloth will work as well. Tie securely (so nothing moves) but not to the point of serious compression. It won't bear full weight, but a should crutch on that side should provide sufficient support for some walking. Pain level between moderate to severe. You can live with the pain most times.

What you're looking for in field casting is the same thing as in the hospital. Secure, but not constricting.

Some outdoor people carry a device called a SAM splint. Low in weight and very flexible.

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
Excellent, thank you!

ETA: So no need to try to set the leg? It was quite a fall so I'm thinking displacement would probably happen, even if it's still closed. Would you set the leg or try to in that case? Or just splint and go for medical help? I know how to splint just not sure whether you'd try to set first, or splint as is.

Last edited:

StormChord

Allegedly Gullible
Registered
Reaction score
If she doesn't set it and then he tries to walk on it, the break will become more displaced and might never heal. She'll have to set the bone, which you can google the instructions for (I don't remember them off the top of my head, my First Aid class was a couple years ago :p ) and then she'd splint it.

jclarkdawe

Feeling lucky, Query?
Registered
Reaction score
If the bones are displaced, and you're talking hours before a doctor, you'd want to set the bones as best you can. You'd set it by feel and sight (no bulges). Usually you pull apart and let it come together guiding it with your hands. A lot of pain in the process. A lot harder to move afterwards and provide stability with what you have available.

The more damage you do, the less likely this is to work. The more damage you do, the less likely the person is to be able to move.

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe